By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony considers producing PS3 with larger hard drive

catofellow said:

A lot of Sony bashing based on pure speculation. I think the most likely scenerio involves Sony getting a good deal on a larger hard drive and just shipping all new consoles with the larger drive. Does anybody really believe Sony will have dual SKU's with 60 and 80 gb hard drives being the only difference? Like some others in the post, I doubt I would ever fill 20 GB. I think cable and satellite on-demand will always be superior to anything Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony will offer.

If you play games you'll use 20GB in no time. I've used 40GB but only need about 15GB so far (demos/trailers I don't need). That's only 3 game installs, though.

Otherwise, I completely agree.  There will not be a 60GB and an 80GB at the same time if that is the only difference.

Around the Network
Narfer said:
shams said:

Im wondering if this is just a grab for cash... if they release a new version with a bigger hard-disk for Xmas, they can charge more for it - and SOME people will be silly enough to upgrade.

Either that, or its to counter the Elite - can't have MS saying the 360 is superior to the PS3 (in any way), now can we ;)

Haha, yea. Sony and MS will keep releasing slightly upgraded systems that dont sell at all, and Nintendo will just sit back and continuing selling out the Wii, until finally they release a WiiHD while Sony and Microsoft have run themselves a ganillion dollars in the hole, and will again be spanked by Nintendo and Sony and MS will have to file bankrupt, therefor Nintendo will start making computer software and TVs and other typical sony apliances. Miyamoto becomes president of the World.

Nintendo: The Future Monopoly!

Narfer, you really need to read this article to find out what happens when Nintendo has a monopoly:  http://www.gamesradar.com/us/wii/game/features/article.jsp?articleId=2007040911262588028&releaseId=20060308165433320026&sectionId=1003&pageId=20070409112833629059

Maybe Sony is getting a better deal on 80gb drives than 60gb drives and will start including them in the PS3's as an added feature.

With regards to the 20gb models; there must be loads of them in storage somewhere.  Maybe Sony are going to release them in Europe so that they can get more sales, seeing as we pay £425 in the UK for a PS3 which works out at £360 minus the VAT, which is around $690 in the US....maybe by releasing the 20gb models in the UK, they can release a cheaper model that maybe comes in around £350 or so.

Or maybe they are just going to replace the 20gb HD with a 60 or 80gb drive and re-release them. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

80 GB isn't much more than 60 GB, so I find it a bit strange unless they have already been mass produced. Else why not just go for a 160 GB (retail ~$180) or 120 GB (retail ~$150) drive?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
80 GB isn't much more than 60 GB, so I find it a bit strange unless they have already been mass produced. Else why not just go for a 160 GB (retail ~$180) or 120 GB (retail ~$150) drive?

Not sure where you are getting those prices.  Newegg.com sells a 160GB 2.5" (notebook) drive for $105, and 120GB for less than $80.

It's even cheaper if you don't care about the drive hanging out and get a 3.5" desktop drive. 

Around the Network

http://www.ps3vault.com/more-info-on-bigger-hard-drive-on-ps3-1276#more-1276

There was also a filing with the FCC about a 120GB PS3.  That would make a lot more sense, maybe an 80GB as a lower end. 

your mother said:

"chances are youll never run out of space"

Famous last words...

No matter what, eventually you always run out space!

Yes, which is why what Nintendo is doing is so nice, just making an add-on.  You can always buy more, they only cost 50-80 dollars. Every time you run out of space you dont have to pay 800 dollars (and counting) for a new console.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Narfer said:
your mother said:

"chances are youll never run out of space"

Famous last words...

No matter what, eventually you always run out space!

Yes, which is why what Nintendo is doing is so nice, just making an add-on. You can always buy more, they only cost 50-80 dollars. Every time you run out of space you dont have to pay 800 dollars (and counting) for a new console.

WTF

you can buy a 3rd party hard drive for PS3.. as big as 1000 gigs.