By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony considers producing PS3 with larger hard drive

Sony considers producing PS3 with larger hard drive

A Sony Computer Entertainment spokesperson has confirmed that the company is "considering" producing a new version of PlayStation 3 with a larger hard drive. The comments come just weeks after Sony filed an FCC application which referred to an 80GB PS3. Currently 20GB and 60GB models are available in Japan, with SCEA recently announcing that the 20GB version is to be discontinued in North America.
According to Bloomberg, spokesperson Satoshi Fukuoka said the decision is "in line with our strategy as we had planned to choose models based on consumer needs". Bloomberg also reports that Sony is "considering introducing the model with a bigger hard disk", as stated by Fukuoka. He did not provide any further details.

Around the Network

I think Sony should focus on selling just one PS3 for now...it'd be easier marketing, and an even higher priced PS3 might put off consumers.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
I think Sony should focus on selling just one PS3 for now...it'd be easier marketing, and an even higher priced PS3 might put off consumers.

Probably when the costs go down, that they can drop the price of the 60GB.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Isn't it easy to replace the HD with an off the shelf one anyway?  This seems like it would only appeal to casual gamers who are afraid of opening their PS3, but I don't think that market would care about the extra space.

BenKenobi88 said:

Exactly how I feel....try getting the price of the 60gb model down first and foremost before bringing out a more costly model.  Anyway, whats the point of the extra 20gb...I would have thought it would be more sensible to bring out a 120gb model like the 360 Elite?

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

Shouldn't this have been thought of BEFORE they launched the system?

More and more I have to ask myself "does this company know what they're doing anymore?"

If I didn't know any better I'd think Sony's intentionally trying to kill the Playstation. I hope they're not trying to follow in the footsteps of Microsoft ill-conceived XBox 360 Elite.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

The only way this makes sense is if they have a deal in which you can get a PS3 hard drive for less than what you can get a 2.5 drive on new egg or any other competative price.

The HDD on the PS3 can be swapped out with the greates of ease with pretty much any notebook drive. So other than offering a deal this really doesn't make much sense. 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

20gb isn't jack shit, there has to be more to this upgrade than that

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
20gb isn't jack shit, there has to be more to this upgrade than that

Maybe a system design overhaul, that doesn't cost as much, at least in terms of manufacturing, and would therefore drop in price faster.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

im thining that they plan on slightly dropping the price of the 60gb model to 550 in the US and the 80gb model will be about 600bux. I think the 80gb model wont have the ps2 hardware in it and have emulted back compatibility. by the time it comes out 90% of emulated games should work fine.

this is wishfull thinking but the 80gb model could have DVD scaling and prolly comes with an hdmi cable or component cable.