By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's your new Rank???

What Rank are you?

Newbie 3 4.92%

Rookie 22 36.07%

Padawan 11 18.03%

Sea Dog 13 21.31%

Captain 9 14.75%

Agent 2 3.28%

Elite 0 0%

Hero 0 0%

Legend 1 1.64%

Titan 0 0%

Total:61
thetonestarr said:
Machina said:
*deep breath, calm thoughts, don't get snarky*

Some valid complaints here and I've taken them on board. That said, I've no sympathy for those complaining about having been here for ages and having too low a level; levels aren't based on age of account, they're based on various contributions to the site.

Anyway, we'll go about this slightly differently and start over. Since most of you seem to have missed the original discussion we'll do it this way:

1 - Introduce more levels and smaller gaps. Not massive changes, just more manageable steps.

2 - Create a thread for name suggestions and dicussion. We'll see what comes of that and work from there.

Hopefully ya'll will stop yelling at me now.

So how about those of us who have been here for ages and contributed a ton back in the day? I submitted a whole load of games, game descriptions, boxarts, screenshots, and other generic game information back in the day before we had proper ways to give credit to said submitters.

Again, the system is screwed up.

The easy site contriutions that are rewarded the most are own forum posts, posts in a thread you started, adding friends and friend's wall post. Look at rol's profile for example: More than 95.000 of his 98.000 points come from these 4 items. Rol is just an example. At least he contributed one or two interesting threads.

Actually I wouldn't really care about points, ranks or badges, but machina saying that he has "no sympathy for those complaining about having been here for ages and having too low a level; levels aren't based on age of account, they're based on various contributions to the site" is true, but a bit insulting to those who joined 4 years ago and are surpassed easily by members who joined in 2010 and make tons of contributions to the site like "yeah, lol" forum posts (3 points each) or "how are you" wall comments (2 points each).

Around the Network

I think we should also get points for each year we have been a member of this site.. staying on this site is a huge contribution... >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Wow what was wrong with the system before? Seriously in the next 5 years how many people do you thinks going to be over 1 million points....zero, now that Oliist left. Not to mention now the highest rank is 2 million??

Oh my. This is somewhat of a silly discussion and ranks smell a bit funky.

All they need to be is to show whether someone is new here or rather experienced. So why the weird names?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

okr said:
thetonestarr said:
Machina said:
*deep breath, calm thoughts, don't get snarky*

Some valid complaints here and I've taken them on board. That said, I've no sympathy for those complaining about having been here for ages and having too low a level; levels aren't based on age of account, they're based on various contributions to the site.

Anyway, we'll go about this slightly differently and start over. Since most of you seem to have missed the original discussion we'll do it this way:

1 - Introduce more levels and smaller gaps. Not massive changes, just more manageable steps.

2 - Create a thread for name suggestions and dicussion. We'll see what comes of that and work from there.

Hopefully ya'll will stop yelling at me now.

So how about those of us who have been here for ages and contributed a ton back in the day? I submitted a whole load of games, game descriptions, boxarts, screenshots, and other generic game information back in the day before we had proper ways to give credit to said submitters.

Again, the system is screwed up.

The easy site contriutions that are rewarded the most are own forum posts, posts in a thread you started, adding friends and friend's wall post. Look at rol's profile for example: More than 95.000 of his 98.000 points come from these 4 items. Rol is just an example. At least he contributed one or two interesting threads.

Actually I wouldn't really care about points, ranks or badges, but machina saying that he has "no sympathy for those complaining about having been here for ages and having too low a level; levels aren't based on age of account, they're based on various contributions to the site" is true, but a bit insulting to those who joined 4 years ago and are surpassed easily by members who joined in 2010 and make tons of contributions to the site like "yeah, lol" forum posts (3 points each) or "how are you" wall comments (2 points each).

Well, I've had some pretty incredibly popular threads too, but again, back in the day.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

After having looked into this, it appears over 99% of the site's users are on level 4 or lower. That means that the other 6 ranks are almost unreachable for over 90% of the site's members. On the current system, any rank above the fifth is absolutely useless except for a few members.

No one will ever reach level 10, or probably even level 9 for that matter.

I guess more ranking is necessary... like 20 or more... to gain level more easy and have people with different ones.

Chrizum said:
After having looked into this, it appears over 99% of the site's users are on level 4 or lower. That means that the other 6 ranks are almost unreachable for over 90% of the site's members. On the current system, any rank above the fifth is absolutely useless except for a few members.

I figured it had to be something like that.

---------------

It isn't even the matter that I want a super high ranking on this website, level 3 was just fine before, when I had it, and it called me a regular, or whatever it was.  Not to mention, why in the hell do you have a 2 million ranking.

Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, I'm just rather insulted with the idea that I have over 2000 posts and I'm still referred to as a rookie.  My profile says I average 3 posts per day, which is quite a bit, when they are well thought out posts.  3 posts per day average since October of 2009 is a rookie?  What the hell.  To be quite frank, I don't think I would even care as much if level 1 was called rookie and level 2 something else.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Also: adding games and rating games don't add any points to your profile.

Baalzamon said:
Chrizum said:

I figured it had to be something like that.

---------------

It isn't even the matter that I want a super high ranking on this website, level 3 was just fine before, when I had it, and it called me a regular, or whatever it was.  Not to mention, why in the hell do you have a 2 million ranking.

Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, I'm just rather insulted with the idea that I have over 2000 posts and I'm still referred to as a rookie.  My profile says I average 3 posts per day, which is quite a bit, when they are well thought out posts.  3 posts per day average since October of 2009 is a rookie?  What the hell.  To be quite frank, I don't think I would even care as much if level 1 was called rookie and level 2 something else.

Somebody has already explained this but you seem to be blissfully ignoring along with the other people whining. The Points and Ranking system isn't based solely on post count and age of account, it's an all rounder. 2000 posts is relatively ... not a lot. And if you havn't done much else on the site (you can see in your points stats page) you're not going to have a middle/high ranking.

Regardless, Machina has already said he's opening a thread to get mroe community feedback on tiers and names.