By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo admits 3ds launch lacked strong games(also spoke on new street pass minigames)

"We were not able to launch Nintendo 3DS at a time when a sufficient number of strong software titles were ready," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told his company's investors. The executive did note that part of the problem is Nintendo feels preserving a game's is more important, which can often lead to extended, unintentional delays if a title doesn't meet high standards. "Because we are doing this, we cannot constantly provide the market with big hit titles,"

the company is looking into developing more StreetPass software for the system. The executive noted many fans might have started not carrying their 3DS with them, having completed StreetPass-based Puzzle Swap and Find Mii mini-games that were included with the 3DS. Iwata said that designer and executive Shigeru Miyamoto has been asking for progress on projects himself.

Lastly, Iwata commented on the consistency of 3D effects between various 3DS games. An investor noted that routinely third party games do not feature 3D enhancements that are as good as Nintendo's own efforts. Iwata disagreed with that opinion, stating that he thought some third parties had done well. However, he did note that Nintendo is going to make more of an effort in providing developers with "effective support," resulting in better products for consumers.

Source http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1181150p1.html

Around the Network

I know Iwata can keep his own with interviews and such but this is nonsense.

If anything, the 3DS's launch was stronger than its predecessor.

Also, downloadable software isn't going to save the 3DS.

Pixel Art can be fun.

When nintendo couldn't get someone like me to purchase the 3ds you know they did something wrong

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

RolStoppable said:
In other words, they rushed the thing to market to get it out during their last fiscal year. I wonder if any investor asked about the state of a NSMB sequel. I know I would.

Same thing i was thinking, It probably would have had a bigger launch if they waited a while longer.

RolStoppable said:
In other words, they rushed the thing to market to get it out during their last fiscal year. I wonder if any investor asked about the state of a NSMB sequel. I know I would.

I've been saying that for a looooooooong time.

Around the Network

The man speaks the truth. There was nothing that made me want to buy a 3DS at launch. I got RE Mercenaries and the enhanced 3D effect is non-existent. I carry my 3DS with me, everywhere AND I try to walk closer to people that look like they may own a 3DS for Street Pass purposes. It's madness!

d21lewis said:
The man speaks the truth. There was nothing that made me want to buy a 3DS at launch. I got RE Mercenaries and the enhanced 3D effect is non-existent. I carry my 3DS with me, everywhere AND I try to walk closer to people that look like they may own a 3DS for Street Pass purposes. It's madness!

Yea i have found a few people with spot pass, though i think the radius is pretty good that you dont have to be really close.

RolStoppable said:
Carl2291 said:
RolStoppable said:

I've been saying that for a looooooooong time.

Maybe, but nobody listens to a guy who says silly things like "there are 50 Mario games released every year".

Low! Even by rol standards.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

d21lewis said:
I carry my 3DS with me, everywhere AND I try to walk closer to people that look like they may own a 3DS for Street Pass purposes. It's madness!

Creepy

Glad they're finally admitting what was pretty obvious to most gamers. It's not a huge deal though, as the 3DS is still very young. Many people forget that the DS also started with an underwhelming lineup. I remember rushing out to find launch games after getting the console for christmas, and there was really nothing besides Mario 64 DS, so I was resorted to picking up the freakin' Sims. Now the DS has one of the strongest and most diverse lineups ever. The same can happen to 3DS, but Nintendo shouldn't not wait to much longer to get it going. Zelda OOT is a nice start, but they also needs more games that appeal to the masses.