By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another Classic Pachter Quote [NY TIMES]

josenieves1 said:
Played_Out said:
I hate myself for stoking the fire like this, but...

Just 'cos you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not true. When the PSP was launched I predicted it would never sell at the level of the DS for one blindingly obvious reason: outside of Japan, hardly any adults would use a handheld gaming device.
Sure, we could all give anecdotal evidence to the contrary, but the average age of handheld gamers is much lower than home console gamers.
Even though Nintendo has had some success capturing the 40+ market with the DS (and the wii), the overwhelming majority of players are small children. Why do you think the majority of games are really simple and usually based around colourful cartoon characters? How many adults do you think bought Nintendogs?

IN SUMMARY: Quit bashing Pachter. Like it or not, he's smarter than you are.
My wife love Nintendogs. (37 years old)

Probably somewhat atypical.  Still, I imagine there are a few adults that play Nintendogs just to go frisbee throwing to the dog.  I always thought that was the best part of the game.  And our irl cats just don't get the concept of jumping up and snagging a frisbee out of the air.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network
fkusumot said:

“The DS is still a kid’s device,” said Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan.

-NY TIMES,

With Wii and DS, Nintendo Has 2 Hit Game Devices

Brain Training says HI!

It says hi, but quietly in America (2.2m), louder in Japan (3.8m), and screams in Others (4.3m) looking like a rocket taking off.  Must be all of the languages trying to talk at the same time!

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=2948

Maybe Pachter should look a bit wider than just in his own backyard.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

One of the guys at work mentioned today he got his six year old a DS for Christmas, and that his wife likes the DS as much as the six year old does.

Neither the six year old or the thirty three year old knows nor could care any less about Michael Pachter.

Pachter enjoys his role as a moron, he gets a lot of quotes and interviews in spite of the fact he's constantly wrong

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

My aunt has had 3 DS's... and i have no clue why she needs 3. She was talking about it to my other Aunt who has a 360, which came from her love of Tomb Raider and a wii because it's what her kid wanted.

She seemed to be extremely against the idea of buying a PS3, which was weird, she acted like sony had borrowed her lawnmower and never returned it. Made me wonder where the negativity came from, I mean, she loves HD TV, the new big screen plasma that had to cost them 2-3 grand, HD service with a ridiculious sound system proves that. (The 360 aunt that is.) My aunts like videogames i guess is what i'm saying here... and one of them has 3 DS's. She had a gameboy advance too... i remember she had me get through a level on frogger for her.

Around the Network

Well it pretty much is kids/teens system IMO. I don't think it has a game rated Mature, while the PSP has Grand theft auto which I'd assume is mature, as well as other shooters.

famousringo said:
"Mr. Fils-Aime said that future DS device will be more tightly integrated with its Wii console. Complete games as well as game samplers will be able to be downloaded into the Wii using its broadband connection, and then transferred wirelessly to the DS."

The bolded is news to me. Not entirely unexpected, but news.

Aha! I saw this coming. I KNEW Nintendo was going to expand the meaning of "connectivity" with DS & Wii.

Wait until Nintendo completes the process of cross-pollinating audiences of DS & Wii together.

We will have never seen anything like it in the business: TWO Record-Selling Powerhouse Systems feeding into each other.

We never quite got this with Game Boy & NES because Genesis (& other 4th gen competitors) was rising.

SNES & GameBoys suffered from same fate only with SNES not being the absolute status quo like NES was.

N64 & GameBoy Color couldn't achieve this feat because N64 undersold.

And Gamecube & GameBoy Advance could'nt achieve it either for the same reason (only even more markéd).

This will be the first time that Nintendo's master "sister sectors" strategy will result in both branches on top at same time. And only more powered by the reality of wireless connectivity. Wires have always been a problem for fully integrating the two halves of the market.

I named this coming reality "The WiiDS Phenomenon". Get ready for it.

Oh...about Pachter? *SNORE* (and please be sure to hit the snooze button...often!)

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!