By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another Classic Pachter Quote [NY TIMES]

From nintendo japanese conference.

"

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2007fall/e/pop/p_slide19.html 

This is the composition of users of Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP in Japan in May 2005, about 2 and half year ago. Towards the left of the graph, the age is younger, and to the right, it is older. The upper side is male users and on the lower side, females. Nintendo DS was launched in December of the previous year. Nintendogs and Brain Training were launched in April and May of the same year, respectively, but Game Boy Advance was still a significant factor in the market place. As you can see, a great number of younger people were purchasing the product. It was said around this time that the core-users of Nintendo game machines were younger, and it was supported with this kind of data.

At the same time, we researched the same information for DS, and you can see DS users at that time by age and gender. DS's cumulative installed base had not yet reached 3 million, and you can see that the user composition was pretty much the same as that of Game Boy Advance. However, the picture showed significant change as the gaming population started to expand. And now

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2007fall/e/pop/p_slide21.html

It's just like this. To tell you the truth, there is one difference-in the research that you saw before, we gathered people who were 64 years old or younger. Noticing that it was not enough to cover the actual total market, we are now inviting respondents up to the age of 74. Of course, the sheer installed base of DS had already exceeded 18 million by that time, so it is natural to see the total size of the user base expanded. You can also notice that DS has users in any and all of the age demographics. The ratio of female users reached an impressive 53%.

Around the Network

I coudn´t load pictures!!!

marioblazer said:
I think michael patcher is leo-j in disguise. for some reason he dislikes nintendo.....

maybe has stocks in sony and microsoft

lol, if that was true talk about a conflict of interest...

If I had money riding on these wars and I was an analyst it would be hard for me to be unbiased... Maybe MP is just a natually biased person? Although he is a finance type guy, I am sure he owns stocks, he likes videogames... very likely he owns stock in MS or Sony(definitly not Nintendo.. lol Why would you buy stock in a complany you beleive sucks).... pretty sure if that is true he would be fired... Purposely using your position to sway people for your own personal benefit... lets just hope that this is not the case.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Game_boy said:
Played_Out said:
I hate myself for stoking the fire like this, but...

Just 'cos you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not true. When the PSP was launched I predicted it would never sell at the level of the DS for one blindingly obvious reason: outside of Japan, hardly any adults would use a handheld gaming device.
Sure, we could all give anecdotal evidence to the contrary, but the average age of handheld gamers is much lower than home console gamers.
Even though Nintendo has had some success capturing the 40+ market with the DS (and the wii), the overwhelming majority of players are small children. Why do you think the majority of games are really simple and usually based around colourful cartoon characters? How many adults do you think bought Nintendogs?

IN SUMMARY: Quit bashing Pachter. Like it or not, he's smarter than you are.

Are you serious? So the Touch! Generations branding hasn't had any effect. That's why my parents (who only have media and friends as influences, not me) bought Brain Training and a DS for my grandparents.

There are three DSes in my household: mine, my wifes, and my sons. So that would make two adult-owned versus one for the rugrat. The DS-Wii virus has spread to my friends too, and among them I can count 3 more DSes sold to males over the age of 30, and they have not bought one for their kids, at least not yet.

I guess my point is, is when do the numbers and the evidence go from being anecdotal to indicitive of a trend?

Saying the DS is for kids is as short sighted as saying the Wii only sells to casuals. That is simply not true. Just  because Nintendo's seventh gen platforms are appealing to one market segment does not disqualify the units from selling to another, and handhelds have never been the sole domain of kids. Tens of millions of adult bought GameBoys to play Tetris!

Look at the DS numbers. The top two titles, Nintendogs and Pokemon, were multicarts which has artificially inflated their numbers (and Pokemon is most definitely snapped up by adults). Now, beyond those two top selling titles, you've got NSMB and Brain Training at the 10M plateau. Below that in the 1M+ tier you've got Final Fantasy III, More Brain Training, English Training, Big Brain Academy, Tetris DS, Cooking Mama, Clubhouse Games, etc ...

Sorry, but these titles aren't selling to kids. Of the Top 20 DS titles, which will all wind up being 2M+ sellers, I count 7 of them that could be labelled adult-targetted, and another 7 or 8 that are absolutely cross-generational.

Where's the demographic split? I doubt anybody knows. I will, however, venture a guess that even if adults are the minority on the DS, Nintendo's minority market is still bigger than Sony's ENTIRE market.

Around the Network

Hotel Dusk is one of the most mature games I ever played. Period.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Great, Pachter again.. I wonder why he just doesn't write PS3 Fanboy on his forehead and get it over and done with already.

Also, agreed with Celine's comment about Hotel Dusk.

Denying the truth is a smart thing? ;)

Quality for Life

Everyday, he takes a step towards being considered a D bag.

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

celine said:
Hotel Dusk is one of the most mature games I ever played. Period.

Fun too. And then there's Phoenix Wright which strangely enough my 13 year-old niece loves.