By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Facebook used to be "cool"

Do you like Facebook?

Yes 30 26.32%

No 38 33.33%

Don't care 46 40.35%

Total:114

It's probably the most pathetic website on the internet. A place for vain and pathetic teenagers to bitch about eachother and talk about the most pointless things.

I only use it to talk to people who I wouldn't be able to contact in any other way.

Around the Network
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Erm, you know you can choose who gets to be on your friends' list and who doesn't...

so Why does it matter if they let everyone make and account?

I personally think Facebook is GREAT. I subscribe to the official pages of my fav artists, news channels, educational pages, etc and get the latest of everything.

I am also part of many groups (private ones), I discuss and share lots of info with my colleagues in uni.

So far I loved every facebook update except for the fugly photo viewer.

But if you start denying your family it just seems like it turns into the South Park episode.  "So Stan your grandma added you as friends are you going to add her?"

I was apart of it when it was college students only.  It only seemed to get worse when high school students then everybody joined.  It ruined the college vibe.  I wouldn't have even minded if they forced you off the network once you lost your .edu email address.

sethnintendo said:
NiKKoM said:
I rarely use it anymore cause this girl kept "liking" everything I did.. then she started tagging me in photos while I wasn't even in the photo... It was really scary cause friends of her were thinking that I was her boyfriend and they tried adding me as their friend.. I got scared for my real gf cause this crazy girl could harm her.. so I decided to use my facebook much less..

I've heard a few stories from co workers of getting into trouble from Facebook (girlfriend/boyfriend seeing comments, etc).  There are plenty of obsessive people out there and I am sure plenty of relationships have been ruined just because of Facebook.

I'm sure plenty of relationships have started because of it too, but you ignore that aspect.  Not to mention, what is it about Facebook that is "ruining" these relationships?  Is it a naughty picture that the girl or guy shouldn't have seen?  Well maybe they shouldnt have been together anyways.  Is it an obsessive guy or girl?  Well if somebody can't get over this fact and be trustful with their boy/girlfriend, maybe they shouldn't have been together in the first place.

Also, thought I would mention, my profile (I just looked again, to make sure) has it so only my friends can tag me in stuff.  If somebody is being obsessive, delete them from your friends list.  Not only this, you can specifically go into your privacy settings, and not let specific friends do things on your profile.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

sethnintendo said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Erm, you know you can choose who gets to be on your friends' list and who doesn't...

I personally think Facebook is GREAT. I subscribe to the official pages of my fav artists, news channels, educational pages, etc and get the latest of everything.

I am also part of many groups (private ones), I discuss and share lots of info with my colleagues in uni.

But if you start denying your family it just seems like it turns into the South Park episode.  "So Stan your grandma added you as friends are you going to add her?"

I was apart of it when it was college students only.  It only seemed to get worse when high school students then everybody joined.  It ruined the college vibe.

I wouldn't even mind if they forced you off the network once you lost your .edu email address.

I would add my grandma if she had a facebook...not like it is a big deal...if you wouldn't want them to see certain things, it is extremely easy to block content from a friend on facebook.

Baalzamon said:
sethnintendo said:
NiKKoM said:
I rarely use it anymore cause this girl kept "liking" everything I did.. then she started tagging me in photos while I wasn't even in the photo... It was really scary cause friends of her were thinking that I was her boyfriend and they tried adding me as their friend.. I got scared for my real gf cause this crazy girl could harm her.. so I decided to use my facebook much less..

I've heard a few stories from co workers of getting into trouble from Facebook (girlfriend/boyfriend seeing comments, etc).  There are plenty of obsessive people out there and I am sure plenty of relationships have been ruined just because of Facebook.

I'm sure plenty of relationships have started because of it too, but you ignore that aspect.  Not to mention, what is it about Facebook that is "ruining" these relationships?  Is it a naughty picture that the girl or guy shouldn't have seen?  Well maybe they shouldnt have been together anyways.  Is it an obsessive guy or girl?  Well if somebody can't get over this fact and be trustful with their boy/girlfriend, maybe they shouldn't have been together in the first place.

Also, thought I would mention, my profile (I just looked again, to make sure) has it so only my friends can tag me in stuff.  If somebody is being obsessive, delete them from your friends list.  Not only this, you can specifically go into your privacy settings, and not let specific friends do things on your profile.

Sounds like a lot of micro managing.  I know they somewhat improved the privacy page but it probably is still scattered throughout numerous pages.  It is like they want it to be hard to locate everything just so the average users won't even try.  Hell, I couldn't even find out how to delete my account till I finally found the page from Google.  They make it easy as hell to disable your account but to actually delete it you almost have to jump through hurdles on their page to find the right link.

Around the Network

everything is cool once and then goes down the drain

age,a very interesting concept

sethnintendo said:

Sounds like a lot of micro managing.  I know they somewhat improved the privacy page but it probably is still scattered throughout numerous pages.  It is like they want it to be hard to locate everything just so the average users won't even try.  Hell, I couldn't even find out how to delete my account till I finally found the page from Google.  They make it easy as hell to disable your account but to actually delete it you almost have to jump through hurdles on their page to find the right link.

It is actually all on one super easy page.  You just click your name in the upper right, and go to privacy settings.  Literally everything is laid out in a super easy to understand manner.  No extra page loading, it will all just be either on screen drop down menus or a small pop up box that you can set up some custom settings.  I haven't looked at it in ages before today, but am quite impressed to say the least.

sethnintendo said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

I was apart of it when it was college students only.  It only seemed to get worse when high school students then everybody joined.  It ruined the college vibe.  I wouldn't have even minded if they forced you off the network once you lost your .edu email address.

I never did. Everyone can hide certain stuff from certain people.

For example, My family members  doesn't  know that I put "agnostic" in the religion space. They simply don't have access to it, it doesn't show up. I can also hide certain posts, links , photos from them. I choose "show to all except family" and so on.

The world forces you to have Facebook if you want to get anything done.

I wish it was otherwise. Or at least that it was a distributed system like the Internet, not under the control of a single for-profit entity that can change on a whim of its shareholders.

So guys I heard there's another emerging social networking site, it's called myspa---oh wait...