By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Facebook used to be "cool"

Do you like Facebook?

Yes 30 26.32%

No 38 33.33%

Don't care 46 40.35%

Total:114
Mr Khan said:
I find Facebook's design counterintuitive (it is really hard if you want to just get to a friend's page, for instance), but it's really the only way for me to keep my old high school friends, college friends, and Washington internship friends (and some of my old Joystiq friends who have moved on from that site) together in one place

Use the search bar. Type the first letter and you will start getting suggestions.

Search bar also shows groups, pages, people and about everything.

Around the Network
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Mr Khan said:
I find Facebook's design counterintuitive (it is really hard if you want to just get to a friend's page, for instance), but it's really the only way for me to keep my old high school friends, college friends, and Washington internship friends (and some of my old Joystiq friends who have moved on from that site) together in one place

Use the search bar. Type the first letter and you will start getting suggestions.

Huh, thanks. I always assumed that bar was for finding new friends, not ones you had...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Facebook is the best thing ever created in the universe, no more discussion about it.

And, really, if you are so exclusive create your own website.

I've seen relationships ruined by Facebook.

Honestly, I usually check it a few times a day, for no more than like 30 seconds to see Notifications (getting caught into a Lagfest Facebook chat is a nightmare for me).

I also don't swear on there or put risque photos.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Tumblr is way better...Seriously.

Around the Network

Just set your privacy to show sensible data only to friends, ditch all those stupid apps and crappy games like FarmVille that suck your time and life, and you can be quite fine with FBK. About coolness, naaaa, it never was cool, it's just useful when it gives you more and better features than chats, forums, SMS, etc. Since I use FBK, I almost don't need SMS anymore. It reminds me of birthdays better than personal info managers, as I don't have to put the dates into it to be reminded of them. I get more up-to-date infos about dance evenings than in specialized sites. It's excellent to fix dates with many friends. It can become really fine and useful, especially, if and when you get over that phase when you always feel the urge to check it and it literally eats your time (many people go through this troublesome phase also with plain old e-mail).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Mr Khan said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Mr Khan said:

Huh, thanks. I always assumed that bar was for finding new friends, not ones you had...

it does that too!

To me it isn't worth caring too much about. I have one and I use it: nothing more, nothing less. Maybe it isn't the right attitude but I don't really care haha.

Baalzamon said:
Doesn't really matter to me. Even though I'm on it nonstop, I just use it as an easy chat and for the occasional joke with friends. If they want to sell my information, or do anything else like that, I could really care less. Not like that information can't be found elsewhere. Especially in regards to the pot smoking and drinking...if you don't want somebody to see that you are doing this, don't do it

I'm sorry to be all grammar police on this, but I get somewhat bothered by the prevelance of the term 'I could care less' when people actually mean 'I couldn't care less'. It seems to have taken hold, perhaps in America, and is now a phrase used that makes no logical sense. Think about it people, if you could care less it would imply that you do care, whereas if you couldn't care less it would mean that it was impossible for you to care any less than you do because you without doubt do not care.

Anyway, I'm close to starting a tongue-in-cheek campaign to get people to care about 'couldn't care less'. We must stamp out this menace to logical word use...

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Kantor said:
Set your privacy settings properly, don't add people you don't know or like, don't put anything up that could potentially harm you in any way, and Facebook is a great way to contact people and waste a bit of time.

This.  I kill a decent bit of time at work chatting with friends through Facebook.

I agree it was nicer when all the teenagers couldn't get in, but it's not like the site was absolutely ruined when they opened it up to everybody.  My siblings are cool, and my parents are too old to figure this stuff out, so I don't mind what family, etc. I have added.  And I have a couple of friends that didn't go to college who couldn't get in otherwise.