By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3rd party Wii games are doing fine!

catprog said:
HappySqurriel said:

For the people who claim I'm pulling numbers out of my ass ... being that this is a site that contains SALES DATA maybe you should LOOK AT THIS SITE before claiming something like that. 30 Seconds of not being a retard would have taken you here : http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=Wii&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&order=Sales

Now, with the numbers to break even we have been told by major publishers both that a PS3 game will take 500,000 units to break even, and that it cost 1/4 to 1/2 as much to develop Wii game that it would take to develop a similar PS3 game.

I did not know about that feature.

Don't worry he was mostly being an ass to hanafuda, your question was pretty harmless, I'm sure Happy would agree (or at least I hope he would). 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Sqrl said:
catprog said:
HappySqurriel said:

For the people who claim I'm pulling numbers out of my ass ... being that this is a site that contains SALES DATA maybe you should LOOK AT THIS SITE before claiming something like that. 30 Seconds of not being a retard would have taken you here : http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=Wii&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&order=Sales

Now, with the numbers to break even we have been told by major publishers both that a PS3 game will take 500,000 units to break even, and that it cost 1/4 to 1/2 as much to develop Wii game that it would take to develop a similar PS3 game.

I did not know about that feature.

Don't worry he was mostly being an ass to hanafuda, your question was pretty harmless, I'm sure Happy would agree (or at least I hope he would). 

Yeah, it was entirely targeted towards hanafuda

@mr prickles

The ps2 has 200 million sellers, 80% of which are 3rd parties.

Wii has 15 milllion sellers with nearly a 20M install base, thats very good, but it only has 4 milion sellers that are 3rd party.. PS3 is about to have 4 million sellers for 3rd party and it has less than half the install base.

mM
Erik Aston said:
A few games relative to expectations...

3rd party failures on Wii...

1. Most of EA's lineup. Tiger Woods 2007 and MySims have been good performers, but games like Madden, Need for Speed and others are mediocre performers compared to other systems. Luckily those are the yearly games people rail against (in non-Wii related discussions, at least). Boogie did very meh.

2. Konami's original efforts. Elebits did fairly well (quarter million), but Dewy so far doesn't look too good. There was probably an okay-sized investment in these.

3. Zack and Wiki... I believe VGC is vastly overtracking this title. We'll see.

4. Manhunt 2... Hahaha.

Games which have handily beaten expectations...

1. RE games on Wii. RE4: Wii may become the best-selling version!

2. The dreaded mini-game comps! RRR, Cooking Mama, Trauma Center, Mario and Sonic, Carnival Games... All kicking ass.

3. Guitar Hero. This franchise is growing by leaps and bounds and kicking tail on every system, so it doesn't really count.

4. Certain liscensed titles like LEGO Star Wars, High School Musical and others.

Games performing basically along expectations...

1. Red Steel. Purely by accident. Supposed to be a million-seller, damned by reviews, boosted by huge Wii sales during software drought.

2. Sega's lineup of exclusives... Secret Rings, Monkey Ball... Slow burns towards possible million.

3. MySims as mentioned above.

4. Dragon Quest Swords... Big sales, no tail in Japan.

Boogie sales are over 200,000 in US alone, has had good legs, how is this meh. I am blown away considering it is the worst game I have ever played and I like casual crap.

Dewy was a a budget title. Too bad it has done poorly but there was no big investment.

Z&W. Well I belive it was vastly undertracked, my souce my ass. Your source?  

Manhunt 2. What kind of sales was this supposed to get. It is keeping pace with the PS2 version sales wise, what do you want.

Yes there have been failures but your examples ..... 

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

leo-j said:
@mr prickles

The ps2 has 200 million sellers, 80% of which are 3rd parties.

Wii has 15 milllion sellers with nearly a 20M install base, thats very good, but it only has 4 milion sellers that are 3rd party.. PS3 is about to have 4 million sellers for 3rd party and it has less than half the install base.

The PS2 is also (over) 7 years old and spend (at least) 5 years with over double the Wii's current userbase. If you consider a (in my opinion) fair estimate of 2 to 4 games bought for every user every year, the age difference alone would distort this statistic in favour of the PS2 quite dramatically.

Around the Network

The casual audience in my experience tend to buy most of their games in the last 2 - 3 months of the year. So it will be interesting to see how third party sales stack up from Jan - Sept of 2008...