By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3rd party Wii games are doing fine!

Well considering that there has hardly been any 3rd parties release a quality game for the Wii system, I'd say that 3rd parties are doing really well. I mean people always complain, such as the devs themselves, that 3rd party games don't sell on Wii, yet they release crappy games and expect them to sell. It's hypocritical. Games need hype and for the hardcore, good reviews to sell. If you don't get that then your game won't sell well. Not to mention spend some money on some god damn marketing every once and awhile. Take a risk. Wii has a userbase of almost 19 million. Its a risk worth taking considering shorter development times and cheaper development process.

If devs start doing that, 3rd party games on Wii will show just as much success as they do on PS3 and 360. But no 3rd party can complain right now cause either they aren't making good games, or the good games they make aren't being marketed properly. But they can have success, they just have to treat Wii just like 360 and PS3, only risk taking is less risky.

Around the Network

But in Japan the main problem is they are really unwilling to buy anything that isn't already an installed IP. There's no reason to take a risk in Japan, because they won't buy new IPs or really anything made by a smaller dev. So that's a real problem in Japan. Has to be from a well known company or a well known IP. Japan getting a little to picky.

hanafuda said:
Your list just shows the handfull of titles that have done well. The list of stuff that has tanked is much, much longer.

Would you share that list with us ? 

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

carlos710 said:
hanafuda said:
Your list just shows the handfull of titles that have done well. The list of stuff that has tanked is much, much longer.

Sure, it's here: 

http://vgchartz.com/

PSN - hanafuda

hanafuda said:
carlos710 said:
hanafuda said:

Sure, it's here:

All i see there it's how great the Wii it's doing in terms of software sales, since it's actually the console that sells most software week after week.

Seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network
carlos710 said:
hanafuda said:
carlos710 said:
hanafuda said:

Sure, it's here:

All i see there it's how great the Wii it's doing in terms of software sales, since it's actually the console that sells most software week after week.

Seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

The guy's obviously a troll. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

i want some AAA third party titles on the wii..... i'm happy the way sales are going

ookaze said:
Zack and Wiki (ugh, let's stay with Takarajima Z)... Takarajima Z is somewhat of a special case.
It had poor production value, because Capcom thought that it would not sell a lot.
They clearly said so, and never expected much from it. Then, "some" US reviewers played some of it, fell in love with it, and went on advertising it like it was a very good game.
Perhaps it is so, and Capcom couldn't pass on the free advertising, so they let it go, especially since they didn't plan to do any advertising themselves.
I've looked at this strange phenomenom, where people actually forgot about Capcom expectations, and went straight with what the reviewers said like it was the truth : Takarajima Z being an AAA game with huge production value, that should sell millions. Perhaps the views were skewed by the fact that the reviewers launched a "campaign" to advertise the game.
Anyway, I don't trust reviewers, and always thought this was plain wishful thinking, so I was not surprised at all when it "flopped". And I'm sure Capcom is not surprised either, as they knew it.
And I'm sure Capcom gives more credits to their analysts than to game reviewers regarding how they'll sell. I think Capcom made a profit on the game too.

You're wrong.  A lot.

No reviewer claimed that the game was a AAA title with huge production value.  And no reviewer claimed it would sell millions.  You're stretching the truth.  IGN liked the game because of the gameplay and the difficulty of the puzzles.  They started their campaign because they knew it wouldn't sell well.  They wanted to make sure that other developers wouldn't be scared of trying something different on the Wii.  Point and click adventure games work very well with the Wii remote.  I hope the mediocre sales don't scare developers from making more of them.

Also, no developer or publisher uses money and manpower to create something they expect to fail.  That's just stupid.  Companies don't spend money for fun.  They're in it for profits.  They may not expect millions of sales, but they certainly expect a profit.

And finally, you clearly haven't played the game.  I have.  The reviews of this game were dead on.  I consider it to be the most original and challenging game on the Wii.  I liked it even better than SMG (which I found to be a "walkthrough" game [way too easy]).

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

hanafuda said:
catprog said:
HappySqurriel said:

Another way to look at this is the Wii has 42 Games that have sold above 250,000 units (not including Wii Sports and Wii Play), and 81 games that have sold more than 100,000 units. With the low cost of development, high number of ports and small scale of many exclusive titles it is highly likely that all of the 42 games that sold more than 250,000 turned a healthy profit and the games between 100,000 and 250,000 have (are close to) breaking even.

This is a very good for the Wii because it demonstrates that a large quantity of games have currently (at least) broken even, and as the userbase grows more games will (at least) break even or turn a healthy profit.

Where are you getting those figures?

He's pulling them out of his ass.

'Low cost of development'!!!!!!!

'High number of ports'. What??

'Small scale of many exclusive titles'. Yay, like that is a good thing??

Yeah, but it is 'likely' that they all made a healthy profit.

It's also likely that this thread is a joke.

I am looking for the list about the 42 Games that have sold above 250,000 units (not including Wii Sports and Wii Play), and 81 games that have sold more than 100,000 units.

As for developemnt costs. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7151961.stm $15million for an average Ps3 game

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/6299/ $8 million max for the wii

My websites

http://catprog.org

Online games that I play:

http://www.animecubed.com/billy/?Catprog

StarcraftManiac said:

I'm still hearing people complain about the Nintendomination on the system. Nintendo might have the biggest sales, i'll give 'em that. But 3rd parties are definitely NOT lacking in Software sales.

Remember. A Wii game is much cheaper to develop compared to a PS3 or X360 game:

I guess one can make a profit on a mini-game on the Wii with 100k+ sales. A bigger title (A+) would be 250k+ Ww.

The really big budget titles (quite rare on the system a.t.m that haven't been rehashed like RE4) would be 400k+.

Taken from the Ww weekly chart. In order:

Rank(Wiionly)/System(Wii)/Name/Pub&Dev/Week/SoldWeek/TotalSold.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Sega7495,1941,972,353
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Activision8135,1591,125,215
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
LucasArts799,683506,030
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Ubisoft686,751461,082
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Capcom685,450597,610
The Golden Compass
Sega376,271211,624
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008
THQ772,921395,446
High School Musical: Sing It!
Konami770,489442,488
The Simpsons Game
EA869,988379,059
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Capcom3066,1291,239,277
MySims
EA1451,589600,553
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure
Capcom916,184152,982

Even Zack and Wiki is giving Capcom a profit ...

But i just want to make clear that, although Nintendo games sell way better on their system, 3rd parties are definitely making a profit on the system!

Games like GH3 are keeping up with the PS2 and X360 versions.

Lego Star Wars on Wii outsells every other version.

Exclusive (crap, but that doesn't matter) games from Ea like MySims are making a profit with 600k+ sold Ww.

3 3rd party Millionsellers in the list (Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbits 1 make 5)... Lots of 500k+ potential, also from games not represented in this chart.

All across the bord... Wii definitely ain't no Gamecube!

Well first off those are the only good games that are out for the Wii. If you look at all of the third party games you will see that most of them suck and people are not buying them at all. Some games are so bad that they are not even worth renting!!!