By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3rd party Wii games are doing fine!

I'm still hearing people complain about the Nintendomination on the system. Nintendo might have the biggest sales, i'll give 'em that. But 3rd parties are definitely NOT lacking in Software sales.

Remember. A Wii game is much cheaper to develop compared to a PS3 or X360 game:

I guess one can make a profit on a mini-game on the Wii with 100k+ sales. A bigger title (A+) would be 250k+ Ww.

The really big budget titles (quite rare on the system a.t.m that haven't been rehashed like RE4) would be 400k+.

Taken from the Ww weekly chart. In order:

Rank(Wiionly)/System(Wii)/Name/Pub&Dev/Week/SoldWeek/TotalSold.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Sega7495,1941,972,353
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Activision8135,1591,125,215
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
LucasArts799,683506,030
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Ubisoft686,751461,082
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Capcom685,450597,610
The Golden Compass
Sega376,271211,624
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008
THQ772,921395,446
High School Musical: Sing It!
Konami770,489442,488
The Simpsons Game
EA869,988379,059
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Capcom3066,1291,239,277
MySims
EA1451,589600,553
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure
Capcom916,184152,982

Even Zack and Wiki is giving Capcom a profit ...

But i just want to make clear that, although Nintendo games sell way better on their system, 3rd parties are definitely making a profit on the system!

Games like GH3 are keeping up with the PS2 and X360 versions.

Lego Star Wars on Wii outsells every other version.

Exclusive (crap, but that doesn't matter) games from Ea like MySims are making a profit with 600k+ sold Ww.

3 3rd party Millionsellers in the list (Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbits 1 make 5)... Lots of 500k+ potential, also from games not represented in this chart.

All across the bord... Wii definitely ain't no Gamecube!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

Yes. The bigger problem for 3rd party sales seems to be in Japan. NA and EU sales for 3rd parties are better. Looking at the WW sales it looks average. Comparing Wii and 360 3rd party software sales or 1st party vs. 3rd party sales is a bit like looking at DS vs. PSP hardware sales.

Well they are not that bad ... but you cant say that a game like Z&W is a success ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

yes i dont get it why they say 3rd party doesnt sell on wii,how i see it its doing great and not so many good 3rd party games have been released

they are good but it could be better

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Around the Network

^it will be better as better games come out

Well, from what I have *gathered* (don't have a Wii so 2nd-hand opinion), Zack & Wiki should have done a lot better than it actually is, and EA's MySims should be doing less than that... Sad to see how much less Zack & Wiki does in comparison...
Point proven! Cutesy design sells the game! I know, that was rather random.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

While the sales aren't too bad they are nevertheless under performing compared to the third party games of the 360 and ps3. It could be a case of not enough investment by 3rd parties, however if this situation doesn't improve within the next 12 months then it could hurt the wii sales while benefiting the other consoles.

This really isn't the best time to be able to determine the succcess of any system on the Wii. There's really a powerful word of mouth effect to it. People ask their friends what games are good on it, and 3rd party titles that are actually good are slowly beginning to get tossed around as well.

Right now, my funds are tight, so I'm primarily sticking to Nintendo and the big 3. I'll probably be getting Metroid Prime in a little bit, and of course I'll be at least within the first week for Brawl.

However I'm also keeping my eye on games like Zack & Wiki, Resident Evil 4, and No More Heroes. Particularly No More Heroes, but the difference with 3rd party titles is that I've been disappointed with them before.
This makes it imperative that they be good games, as otherwise my disappointment with them would be even worse. Because of this, I'm planning on making it a policy to rent any 3rd party title I have any intention of buying.

I think Nintendo would do incredibly well to try to work out an arrangement with gamefly, so that people could rent games directly from the Wii. It really should be done without a subscription fee though. Or even just work it out themselves.
It shouldn't be too hard to set up though. It could even be set up so that you're charged full price for the game to start, and then it's just a certain amount per day that you play it. If you play it long enough that you'd be paying full price anyway, they just let you keep it, since you've already been charged full price to begin with. If you still want to send it back, they might be able to offer a small amount credited back to you, basically making it so you can sell your used game back to them.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Zack and Wiki (ugh, let's stay with Takarajima Z)... Takarajima Z is somewhat of a special case.
It had poor production value, because Capcom thought that it would not sell a lot.
They clearly said so, and never expected much from it. Then, "some" US reviewers played some of it, fell in love with it, and went on advertising it like it was a very good game.
Perhaps it is so, and Capcom couldn't pass on the free advertising, so they let it go, especially since they didn't plan to do any advertising themselves.
I've looked at this strange phenomenom, where people actually forgot about Capcom expectations, and went straight with what the reviewers said like it was the truth : Takarajima Z being an AAA game with huge production value, that should sell millions. Perhaps the views were skewed by the fact that the reviewers launched a "campaign" to advertise the game.
Anyway, I don't trust reviewers, and always thought this was plain wishful thinking, so I was not surprised at all when it "flopped". And I'm sure Capcom is not surprised either, as they knew it.
And I'm sure Capcom gives more credits to their analysts than to game reviewers regarding how they'll sell. I think Capcom made a profit on the game too.