By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My ps3 stopped reading discs. :(

sieanr said:
makingmusic476 said:
So I called Sony today. At first they tried to charge me $149.99 to get my ps3 replaced, until I brought up that I the warranty had been extended to Jan. 15 according to guys at AVS. Then the customer service rep. checked with his boss, and came back and said there would be no charge. They're shipping me a box, and said total turnaround time should be 10-14 business days, which jibes with what the guys on AVS were saying. It took them about two weeks to get their systems back.

I'll keep this thread updated, so that anybody else who has this problem can refer to it.

Did they say that your current PS3 would be repaired, or would it be replaced with a newer model?

There is no way in hell I'd exchange my almost full BC PS3 for some bullshit 40gb.

I'm getting another 60gb.  I'm not sure if it will be new or a refurb.  They said "factory certified" so I'm guessing refurb.

Around the Network
Stever89 said:
Lord of the Rings : EE marathon! YES

Best way to spend a day in your life (12 hours watching, 12 hours sleeping). lol

And I've done it 3 times.

Hell yes. 8)

@IllegalPaladin:

I can't wait until these babies are released on Blu.  I'm predicting an announcement at CES in a week.  :D

@leo-j:

I only have four games - Uncharted, Resistance, Warhawk, and Heavenly Sword - none of which I've finished.  I have this problem with most games I buy.  I'm a horrible gamer, lol.  At least I have an excuse with Uncharted, as I bought it just two days before my drive died.  That one WILL be finished, along with Super Mario Galaxy...one day. 

makingmusic476 said:
So I called Sony today. At first they tried to charge me $149.99 to get my ps3 replaced, until I brought up that I the warranty had been extended to Jan. 15 according to guys at AVS. Then the customer service rep. checked with his boss, and came back and said there would be no charge. They're shipping me a box, and said total turnaround time should be 10-14 business days, which jibes with what the guys on AVS were saying. It took them about two weeks to get their systems back.

I'll keep this thread updated, so that anybody else who has this problem can refer to it.

Update:

My box arrived today. That's four business days, just like the guys at AVS said. They said in total it was a ~2 week turnaround for them, so if I ship my ps3 off tomorrow, I'll get it back in a week to a week and a half.

Actually, this happened to me as well. There was a actually an issue with the arm I read about online as well as the motor. It was a German page, actually, but I don't have the link. It sounds like you got yours fixed anyway.

Word of warning though, if you try to ask about this on the sony forums, you will get jumped on and told you are an X-bot troll. This happened to me because I enrolled in the forum TO ASK about the problem, and so my post count was low.

If anyone is interested in that page about the motor, I may be able to dig it up. Let me know!

I figured it had to be the motor. When I would pop a disc in, the ps3 would make no noise whatsoever. It just wasn't spinning.

Around the Network

Yikes... all 3 systems are having disc drive issue's. Good to hear they are handling it properly.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

to annyone whose ps3's motor just stop spinning..

what model was your ps3's?
im guessing all 60gbs?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Have any owners of the newer (40 and 80gb) models reported this or is it mainly the original launch units? I just got my 40gb a few days ago. I guess I should register it now eh? 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

iclim4 said:
to annyone whose ps3's motor just stop spinning..

what model was your ps3's?
im guessing all 60gbs?

If this problem is with 60 gb systems, then I must be lucky, mine works fine after a solid 10 months. Also on a side not my PS2 never broke either! I'm good at picking the good systems!

friedtofu said:

Have any owners of the newer (40 and 80gb) models reported this or is it mainly the original launch units? I just got my 40gb a few days ago. I guess I should register it now eh? 

from what i heard its usually just the 60gb ones.
though to be fair the other versions did just recently come out.

you dont need to register your ps3 to get the warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags?