By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My ps3 stopped reading discs. :(

I'm pretty sure my issue isn't a result of a bad firmware upgrade. I upgraded to 2.1 the day it hit, and have watched many movies (including all three LotR) and played some games since.

Around the Network

The guys on AVS linked me to a thread with a couple of other people that have had the same problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=957251

And according to one of the guys in the thread, Sony has extended the warranty to January 15 for launch window owners because of this problem. I guess I'll be covered then. Extending the warranty for such a small problem is a pretty nice thing to do, imo. :)

I went through two DRE issues with the ps2 so I really don't like hearing it about the ps3. I hope you get everything worked out.

Blaiyan said:
I went through two DRE issues with the ps2 so I really don't like hearing it about the ps3. I hope you get everything worked out.

The problem with the ps2 was the lens going out of alignment.  It was possible to fix it yourself, if you had the balls to try.

This problem seems to be with the drive motor dying, and it seems to be happening primarily with launch units.  That's what I get for being an early adopter. ^^

makingmusic476 said:

The problem with the ps2 was the lens going out of alignment.  It was possible to fix it yourself, if you had the balls to try.

This problem seems to be with the drive motor dying, and it seems to be happening primarily with launch units.  That's what I get for being an early adopter. ^^

from what i heard the 60gb's are dropping like flies after the last few firmware updates.
even the recent 60gb's have the same problem.
atleast thats what i heard, my ps3 is also the 60gb model so that got me worried.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Blaiyan said:

The problem with the ps2 was the lens going out of alignment. It was possible to fix it yourself, if you had the balls to try.

This problem seems to be with the drive motor dying, and it seems to be happening primarily with launch units. That's what I get for being an early adopter. ^^

With my track record on fixing things it would've just made it worst. I could've taken better care of them though. It happened with my first ps1 too. I would've taken them to a repair shop but getting the second smaller versions was easier to me.

Wasn't this about the time in the 360's lifespan where the red ring of death started to rear its head?

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Wasn't this about the time in the 360's lifespan where the red ring of death started to rear its head?

The RRoD started popping up just days after launch.  My brother-in-law's dad camped out for a 360, and his died after only a month.

Blaiyan said:
makingmusic476 said:
Blaiyan said:

The problem with the ps2 was the lens going out of alignment. It was possible to fix it yourself, if you had the balls to try.

This problem seems to be with the drive motor dying, and it seems to be happening primarily with launch units. That's what I get for being an early adopter. ^^

With my track record on fixing things it would've just made it worst. I could've taken better care of them though. It happened with my first ps1 too. I would've taken them to a repair shop but getting the second smaller versions was easier to me.

I hear ya.  Iopened up my ps2 once, looked around a bit, then said "screw it" and brought it to a local repair shop, not realizing that Sony would've fixed it for free.  I forked over $60 for the repair and a nother $40 to get a warranty, only to have these losers to simply blow air in the drive bay 3-4 times before they finally just gave me someone else's refurb.  The whole thing took over two months. :|

It seems to be a hard drive failure, but just in case, try to reset your system by pressing/holding the power button for about 10 seconds (untill it beeps two or three times).