By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My ps3 stopped reading discs. :(

Do you have a 40gb? Those consoles seem to have more problems than the 60/80 gb model.

Around the Network

are you under some kind if warranty? If not, buy a new ps3, put your old drive in.

How many games do you have?

I bought it nov 17 06, and its perfect..

mM
TheUltimateLife said:
this one time when i rented a wii game it did a system update and my wii started making these strange noises, it played the game ok but then after i turned my wii off later that night it wouldnt turn back on!!!! it was the transformers game, terrible game, but any way a few hours later the wii just came back on :S totaly unrelated to your prob though :p maybe it will work if u just give it some space lol
 That haooens with some of the newer games, it hapened to me with GHIII and SMG cept it didnt turn on afterwords. 

"Like you know"

makingmusic476 said:
Blaiyan said:
makingmusic476 said:
Blaiyan said:
I went through two DRE issues with the ps2 so I really don't like hearing it about the ps3. I hope you get everything worked out.

The problem with the ps2 was the lens going out of alignment. It was possible to fix it yourself, if you had the balls to try.

This problem seems to be with the drive motor dying, and it seems to be happening primarily with launch units. That's what I get for being an early adopter. ^^

With my track record on fixing things it would've just made it worst. I could've taken better care of them though. It happened with my first ps1 too. I would've taken them to a repair shop but getting the second smaller versions was easier to me.

I hear ya.  Iopened up my ps2 once, looked around a bit, then said "screw it" and brought it to a local repair shop, not realizing that Sony would've fixed it for free.  I forked over $60 for the repair and a nother $40 to get a warranty, only to have these losers to simply blow air in the drive bay 3-4 times before they finally just gave me someone else's refurb.  The whole thing took over two months. :|

I fixed my PS2 DRE with some rubbing alcohol and q-tips, took it apart until I got to the lens in the dvd player and then swabbed it a few times, it's worked like new ever since.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

Nov 17th - 60GB model, works great

If I were you id just get a can if compressed air and blow it into the drive and see if they cleans the lens. If that's the issue them problem will be solved. Otherwise, should have gotten an extended warranty like more of us PS3 owners. lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

60gig purchased December 23rd or 24th

that'd odd. I've noticed a little problem with my PS3 was when I tried to run Folding@Home, the PS3 would start a high pitched whining sound. It's probably because it was being put into full load to fold so I haven't run it since and I haven't heard the noise either.

Heh, I also rented Uncharted a week or two ago and it would freeze while loading into the game. I pulled out the disk and noticed a whole hand print... Not a little fingerprint, but a hand print. . .

DISC READ ERROR!

hmmm one of the few ps3s they have problems possibly, i heard the failure rate was like 3% at most

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Thats really, really scary :(

I suffered through THREE broken PS2 units - and Sony screwed me around majorly when it come to actually fixing it (my first unit was gone for 9 MONTHS before it was returned fixed - it was around then that I stopped playing PS2 completely).

It doesn't make much sense for a firmware update to cause this, unless the change modifies the way disc streaming or reading occurs - stressing the motor out in odd ways. And if thats the case, then its a genuine hardware failure. Boo to BluRay drives breaking so soon!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099