By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What is your honest opinion on the Forza Franchise? Compeditor to GT?

On one hand I have a game that plays like real life driving...
On the other hand I have a game that plays like a videogame...

Most people will like the fun and unrealistic of the videogame... but I? No, I prefer racing games playing like real racing.

I just don't like racing games that do not drive like in real life.

For me the two game are not competitor because what I seek in GT5 I don't see in Forza 3 and vice-versa.

PS. For me PD not need more other GT in this generation... the constants GT5 updates feel as if the game just need it... so GT5 will be the last and defenitive GT this gen.

Edit - The people here like to paint your car in the game? Because I never do that in any racing game I played... I just change part that change the handling of the cars.

Around the Network

I only played the first Forza and never played a GT game in my life.......So I pretty much am counted out on this one!

what I can tell you from my limited experience is that Sim Racing games are boring

at release, i think both games were pretty much on par - what one lacked, the other made up for. the difference for me has been the version updates on GT5; it's a much better game now than it was on release, and now has a slight edge over F3 imo.

however, I wonder which strategy is best - updating an existing game to new and improved levels gradually (i.e. GT5) or 'saving up' the updates for a full new release of the game (i.e. Forza series)

still waiting for 2010-2011 car lineup update dlc PD!

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Vetteman94 said:

As a franchise I think its good, I wish they took the racing a little more seriously though. If they put the kind of effort into the racing aspect that they do to all the community and customization stuff it would probably be a better game than Gran Turismo. But because Gran Turismo's focus is on the racing first and foremost and it shows as its far and away the better sim racer it will always be one step behind . And with Gran Turismo getting better community features the gap will continue to get wider.

The perfect game would be Forza's community and customization with Gran Turismo's sim racing.

Also,  The new Chevy Camaro is outselling the Ford Mustang

Only the year it came out it did. For 2010 Ford still topped Chevy by a lot, and Dodge is nowhere to be seen (How often do you see a challenger?)

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

ethomaz said:

On one hand I have a game that plays like real life driving...
On the other hand I have a game that plays like a videogame...

Most people will like the fun and unrealistic of the videogame... but I? No, I prefer racing games playing like real racing.

I just don't like racing games that do not drive like in real life.

For me the two game are not competitor because what I seek in GT5 I don't see in Forza 3 and vice-versa.

PS. For me PD not need more other GT in this generation... the constants GT5 updates feel as if the game just need it... so GT5 will be the last and defenitive GT this gen.

Edit - The people here like to paint your car in the game? Because I never do that in any racing game I played... I just change part that change the handling of the cars.

Everyone has their own preferences. I only really got into the tuning system in Forza once, when I wanted to make a replica of the Lotus Evora Type 124 Race car. Needed to do a custom paint job, along with engine mods. Then 6 months later, the car, and paint job, was DLC.

Also are you saying Forza doesn't feel like a simulator, but GT5 does? Cause I feel the opposite sometimes. Yea in premium cars, GT5 feels like a great simulator, and watching my replays, it looks pretty realistic too (I drift a lot more then I realize). However, when I play in the other 800 cars in the game, it feels like GT3 again, but in HD. So a video game. Also without a serious damage model, I can't take too many races seriously, often times I just let myself bounce around.

On a strict comparision of car drive (without crashes, and with premium cars vs. Forza cars), I feel they both have their own strenghts. I have the advantage over people, that I've actually raced cars in real life before (plan to get a racing licence next summer, and a pure track car like an Ariel Atom 2). I can tell you from real life experience, that GT5 does weight shifting (during breaking, and cornering) a lot better then Forza 3, but tire deformation, and overall the handling in Forza feels a lot more right. Both have still a way to go in the end.

Also, I agree GT5 will be the only full GT this gen. I don't think PD will release a late GT6 (like GT4 was), but instead release GT6 as an early title for PS4 (like GT3). GT5 required PD to completly rebuild the racing engine and scrap almost all their data, and you can see from the architecture of GT5, that it's model is very basic, and can really be expanded outside the PS3 limitations.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

@Michael

Yeap... could be my personal preference... but another fact is I like to play Forza 3 with controller and GT5 with wheel... just looks unrealistic to play a game like Forza 3 when you don't need to use the brake to make the curves perfectly.

A lot of things I do in real life using the brake and accelerator I do the same for GT5 and works ... not in Forza 3... I get a lot of corner speed using these resources (like in real life).

I haven't played a Gran Turismo since GT 3 (when I decided that I preferred Arcade racing over sim racing) and I've never played a Forza game outside of the demo.

I will say this. Turn 10 considers Forza competition for Gran Turismo because they wanted to launch their game head to head with it back in 2009. That's pretty ballsy of them. And many reviewers have come right out and said that Forza is the better game. Of course GT has legacy on its side. It's THE name in racing games just like how Mario is THE name in platforming. It didn't become what it is by sucking.

d21lewis said:
I haven't played a Gran Turismo since GT 3 (when I decided that I preferred Arcade racing over sim racing) and I've never played a Forza game outside of the demo.

I will say this. Turn 10 considers Forza competition for Gran Turismo because they wanted to launch their game head to head with it back in 2009. That's pretty ballsy of them. And many reviewers have come right out and said that Forza is the better game. Of course GT has legacy on its side. It's THE name in racing games just like how Mario is THE name in platforming. It didn't become what it is by sucking.

The reviewers said Forza 3 is a better game but GT5 is a better simulator.

What the focus of each game? That's my point... no direct competitors... different types of games... different focus.

I like both franchises now. There's things I like better about GT5 and there's things I like better about Forza 3.

I like the graphics way better in GT5. I feel its just way nicer looking when you're actually in game, in a race. Forza 3 looks okay, but I'm really hoping Forza 4 looks at least as good as GT5, if not better.

Pretty much everything else (besides graphics) I liked better about Forza though. It has better car choice IMO, it has a lot more tuning options, it has more options for difficulty changes to make the game harder/easier (plus you earn more money the harder your settings are). Also the levelling up system is pretty cool.

One thing I hate about Forza is when you go to sell cars the game only gives you a couple hundred dollars even if its a friggin lamborghini or something. The only way you can actually sell cars and get decent money is to sell them online, but nobody wants the shit cars you'd be trying to sell. And in GT5 I hate how you can't sell all your cars either. Like half the cars I have when I go to sell them it says "this car cannot be sold, remove from garage?"...and that's just stupid.

I'd give GT5 about a 9.2/10 and I'd give Forza 3 about a 8.8/10. If Forza 3 had GT5 level graphics it would easily get a low-mid 9's rating from me.

it is a competior, it is also a bit better than GT5 imo, I mean GT has more cars and better tracks but Forza has more ways to customise your experience, it has better IAs, it does car damage better. As for realism I can't really tell what's better GT has a more realistic car handling but Forza 3 has better physics imo, however they are very similar, and since I don't play with the wheel I don't even see the point in making a so hard comparison.
In the end I love both I've played all GT and loved tham, expecially GT3, but in this last round I'd say Forza wins.
Still, since we're talking about simulators is quite obvious that the most recent one is normally the best.