By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Is Actually 50% More Powerful Than PS3?

A Power7 CPU , even scaled down, is significantly more powerful than a Cell, and an R700 GPU blows the PS3 GPU out of the water. Either the rumors are false or this article is full of crap, i'm hoping for the latter since IBM already comfirmed Wii U is using Power7.

Around the Network

I'll just wait.

ghost_of_fazz said:
HappySqurriel said:
As I said in another thread, a comment like "The Wii U is 50% more powerful than the PS3" doesn't really tell you much because of how vague it is. Are they talking CPU performance, GPU performance or system performance on the whole? Are they talking theoretical performance or real world performance? Are they talking about a primitive benchmark (like floating point performance) or a more complicated benchmark that may ignore other enhancements (polygon performance, or shader operations per pixel per frame)?

Do you think an analyst from a firm that has NOTHING to do with technology knows what a shader operation is?

:P

No, I don't think he would know which is part of why I made my point ... It is often the specific details in a discussion on hardware capabilities that matter, and an analyst with a very poor understanding of what the developer is talking about is probably going to misrepresent what was actually said.

Hypothetically speaking, a developer might talk about how the character in the Wii U version of a game would use the PC version's 30,000 polygon model and high detailed textures rather than the 20,000 polygon model and lower detailed textures from the PS3 version and the analyst could interpret it as meaning the Wii U is "50% more powerful" without considering resolution, frame-rate and other enhancements.

meh not powerful at all for me anyone who's never own a medium to high end PC will never understand the true meaning of superb graphics.

superchunk said:
MrBubbles said:
going by what they showed, i have no reason to believe it will produce anything better than either the ps3 or the 360 can produce.

Really, because the PS360 can produce the same levels as that Zelda demo at 1080p... right.

It will end up being 5 to 10x more powerful than ps360 and when they upgrade they will be a few times more powerful than it.

that demo is definitely not the technical marvel you seem to think it is.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
superchunk said:
MrBubbles said:
going by what they showed, i have no reason to believe it will produce anything better than either the ps3 or the 360 can produce.

Really, because the PS360 can produce the same levels as that Zelda demo at 1080p... right.

It will end up being 5 to 10x more powerful than ps360 and when they upgrade they will be a few times more powerful than it.

The demo is not the most advanced graphics I have seen in realtime, but it appears to be as good or better than what the HD consoles have produced while outputting at a resolution of 720p or lower at a framerate of 30fps or lower. If games look this good or better while supporting 1080p at 60fps  the Wii U would be clearly much more powerful than the HD consoles.

MrBubbles said:
superchunk said:
MrBubbles said:

It clearly has better technology in many areas than anything I've seen on PS360.... and it was in 1080p (which is confirmed for all, Nintendo at least, games and I'm sure I read somewhere it was 60fps).

Also as said above, the rumored Power7 CPU and R700 GPU in any conceivable fashion are significantly more powerful than PS360's setup. Its just way too obvious that WiiU will be a generational step above PS360.

HappySqurriel said:
MrBubbles said:
superchunk said:
MrBubbles said:

The demo is not the most advanced graphics I have seen in realtime, but it appears to be as good or better than what the HD consoles have produced while outputting at a resolution of 720p or lower at a framerate of 30fps or lower. If games look this good or better while supporting 1080p at 60fps  the Wii U would be clearly much more powerful than the HD consoles.

yea exactly. 

and besides, whenever nintendo has shown a zelda tech demo, the zelda game that comes out on that system looks BETTER than the tech demo did.

and do you guys completely forget how soon this is?  this is super early build and quick demo shown.  A year away from release and ALSO just look at early ps3/360 games with current ps3/360 games.

If wii u games are already looking better, run at double fps and native 1080p ON LAUNCH, that is insane.  It only gets better with time.  hell current ps3/360 games make their launch games look like last gen games.

JEMC said:
So an analyst says so...

We don't need further evidences, if he says so it may be true. After all, analysts are never wrong,right?

/sarcasm

this was pretty much my reaction

Marks said:
If that's true then that's kind of disappointing.

For comparison's sake does anyone know how much more powerful the Wii is compared to Xbox or PS2?

I'm not even sure the Wii is more powerful than the Xbox or PS2...

Xbox 1 had some really good looking games.