By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Is Actually 50% More Powerful Than PS3?

Dinges said:
If that's true, than that's only a small increase. After 6 years that the PS3 has come out I'd be hoping for at least 10 times more powerfull.... I'll guess when the next box and PS4 will come out, both of those console will have a lot more power than the Wii U. 3rd party developers will stop developing for the Wii U (which is the same for the Wii these days). It will probably get different versions like Fifa Wii and CoD Wii.

Quantifying a 50% increase in power is going to be different for just about everybody.  50% may not sound like a lot to you but it might be a lot to a developer.

We also have no idea how much more powerful the PS4 and Next X will be.  Given the incredible losses Sony and MS took with the PS3 and X360 respectively, it's very likely they will be more conservative in their next consoles.

Further more, the Wii receives low levels of 3rd party support because developing for it requires different art assets and the system lacks modern shaders.  No matter how much more powerful the PS4 and Next X are, the Wii U will not have that same problem as the Wii had.  Art assets can still be used and modern shaders implemented.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
ph4nt said:
A Power7 CPU , even scaled down, is significantly more powerful than a Cell, and an R700 GPU blows the PS3 GPU out of the water. Either the rumors are false or this article is full of crap, i'm hoping for the latter since IBM already comfirmed Wii U is using Power7.

could you point me twords where a power 7 architecture was actually confirmed? Because I read the press release and it doesn't actually mention power 7 at all...

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34683.wss

And a R700 GPU is vague and varies for weaker than the PS3 to ~8 times more powerful and also hasn't been confirmed to be the base of the custom GPU, AMD's press release is even more vague than IBMs.

Also it sounds like the hardware platform is very fluid at the moment and final specs have not been settled on yet so any aproximation of it's relative power is pointless at this  stage. 

Oh and from Digital foundy's analysis the Zelda demo was running at 720p with no antialiasing and 30fps, great art design tho

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

50% of PS3 = PS1.5

Therefore, it's about as powerful as a PS4.5...

VGChartz

lets look at simple math quick for a random made up number representing POWER, whatever that is

NES: 1 power
SNES: 10 power (1000% more powerful) 10X
N64: 100 power (1000% more powerful) 10X
gamecube: 500 power (500% more powerful) 5X
wii: 1000 power (200% more powerful) 2X
PS3: 5000 power (500% more powerful) 5X FROM WII OR 10X FROM GAMECUBE
Wii U: 7500 power (50% more powerful) 1.5X

wii to ps3 jump 4,000 power
ps3 to wii u jump. 2500 power

look how when the numbers get higher how jumps in power % or times gets smaller. The jump from each gen is still a HUGE amount of numerical, but % wise it isn't as huge

i hate when percentages are used, and besides we don't know what this developer said and how the analyst interpreeted it

zarx said:
ph4nt said:
A Power7 CPU , even scaled down, is significantly more powerful than a Cell, and an R700 GPU blows the PS3 GPU out of the water. Either the rumors are false or this article is full of crap, i'm hoping for the latter since IBM already comfirmed Wii U is using Power7.

could you point me twords where a power 7 architecture was actually confirmed? Because I read the press release and it doesn't actually mention power 7 at all...

Power7 is inferred because of the development process (45nm), the high level of eDRAM and the out-of-order execuation nature of Power7 versus the in-order-execution of Power6 and Power A2.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
zarx said:
ph4nt said:

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34683.wss

And a R700 GPU is vague and varies for weaker than the PS3 to ~8 times more powerful and also hasn't been confirmed to be the base of the custom GPU, AMD's press release is even more vague than IBMs.

Also it sounds like the hardware platform is very fluid at the moment and final specs have not been settled on yet so any aproximation of it's relative power is pointless at this  stage. 

Oh and from Digital foundy's analysis the Zelda demo was running at 720p with no antialiasing and 30fps, great art design tho

IBM stated that the Wii U processor uses the same architecture that was used in Watson (Power7). Wii U will definitely use a scaled down version, but even that will be significantly more powerful than Cell, heck my dual core outclasses the cell.

Hmm, just like Wii is 50% more powerful than Gamecube :/. Power doesn't matter much to me though. Just provide an ample library of great games and don't make it too costly and I'll be sold.

For me Wii U in graphics will look like PS3 games but running on 1080p and 60 fps, my prediction can go off track if the U-remotes take a large chunk of the CPU, if that happens we will see most of the games running at 720p or less but with a stable frame rate (30 fps or a bit more), which in pratical terms is like having a PS3 with U-remotes.

Also today this showed up: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-has-last-gen-radeon-inside-still-more-powerful-than-ps3-a/

if true this would mean that Wii U would be a power beast even though it uses a last gen radeon, cause the diference between the 4890 series and the new 6xxx series is not much (besides the open gl 4.0 and the directx 11) and is much more cheaper.

Almost everybody bashed the Wii U tech demos but do you remember the tech demos of PS3 and X360?
http://www.nintengen.com/2011/06/wii-u-tech-demos-vs-xbox-360-ps3-tech.html

EDIT: Well actually the X360 tech demo is from 2011 lol.

FAMEL said:

For me Wii U in graphics will look like PS3 games but running on 1080p and 60 fps, my prediction can go off track if the U-remotes take a large chunk of the CPU, if that happens we will see most of the games running at 720p or less but with a stable frame rate (30 fps or a bit more), which in pratical terms is like having a PS3 with U-remotes.

Also today this showed up: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-has-last-gen-radeon-inside-still-more-powerful-than-ps3-a/

if true this would mean that Wii U would be a power beast even though it uses a last gen radeon, cause the diference between the 4890 series and the new 6xxx series is not much (besides the open gl 4.0 and the directx 11) and is much more cheaper.

Almost everybody bashed the Wii U tech demos but do you remember the tech demos of PS3 and X360?

Do you have a problem with Wallguy?

HappySqurriel said:
FAMEL said:

Do you have a problem with Wallguy?

LOL good catch! :P

But that's just reinforces my ideia that Zelda HD tech demo actually looked awesome for an early development... if that demo was what they could do in just a few months, i can't imagine what a truly full game of zelda will look like... WILL BLOW OUR MINDS AWAY! lol :P It's just sad that we have to wait for another 3 or 4 years for the new Zelda HD...