By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted: Golden Abyss on VITA looks better than most PS3/360 games

I downloaded and watched the UGA VId Doc and if it was released on current gen systems it would be lambasted for looking last gen but for a handheld on a small OLED screen it looks the biz.

Around the Network

No... just no.

While it looks excellent for a handheld game, it wouldn't look nearly as good on a normal TV. Don't let your eyes fool you.

Barozi said:
No... just no.

While it looks excellent for a handheld game, it wouldn't look nearly as good on a normal TV. Don't let your eyes fool you.

Nobody thinks İt would look better than Uncharted DF on a TV. Even the title says "on VITA."

While it is certainly not as impressive as DF, it isn't that far off, which really says something. Although I wonder why its running below the native resolution. 

selnor said:
Although I think Vita is technically a brilliant handheld. Sony themselves said the followng:

" PS Vita can do about 5x the ploygons of PSP. And instead of around 10mb for textures ( PSP ) the Vita can cope with 100mb."

When asked if the Vita and PS3 were comparable. Sonys reply was "Not really, PS3 has so much more processing power"

All Golden Abyss is very clever smoke and mirrors. I personally can see the low poly moddels and rough edge. Look at the cliff edge on the pic for VIta inside the cave bit. The cliff edge wall meets the floor with a complete straight edge.

Clever tricks. But not anywhere near PS3 version IMO.

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the GA screens. While some of them look great, it seems painfully obvious in others just how they accomplished this with lower polygons and textures. With smoke and mirrors it looks only as good as some of the lower HD games.

Making good use of colors from a distance can make games look good even on Wii...

The BuShA owns all!

Looks nice (the little Vita-Screen makes it even better) but not on par with PS360. Low polygon modells and old fashioned effects looks more like a mixture from PS2 and PS3, but more on the PS2 side.

And some 3DS games looks really nice too ...

Around the Network
michael_stutzer said:
Barozi said:
No... just no.

Nobody thinks İt would look better than Uncharted DF on a TV. Even the title says "on VITA."

While it is certainly not as impressive as DF, it isn't that far off, which really says something. Although I wonder why its running below the native resolution. 

Yeah but then you would only be comparing apples to oranges and this whole thread wouldn't make much sense without at least trying to bring these games from completely different devices to a same level, in which they could be compared.

pezus said:
Barozi said:
No... just no.

That is sort of the point. On the Vita screen the game looks so much better than any screenshot posted here. The image is smaller and it's an OLED screen.

Yeah why are we even playing on huge TVs with resolutions of 1920x1080 ? We should focus on even smaller screens. I demand one inch TVs !

pezus said:

Overreaction ftw! Some HD games:

Rage really looks fantastic and runs smooth as hell. It has a few texture streaming problems though but they don't even last a second.
But apparently long enough to make a screenshot of it.

pezus said:
selnor said:
No offence. But 'SOME' Sony fans need to get a grip.

Looking at more Vita screens GA is nowhere near DF.

Its actually not even close.

In GA Drakes clothes are blurred textured and underdetailed hugely compared to PS3. Also leaves, wall textures and floor are quite blurry compared to PS3 version. In fact the textures dont beat out alot of HD games. Its actually nowhere near HD console games.

But back in reality, Vita is one awesome Handeld, and the most visually pleasing HH system Ive ever seen.

But HD system? Just WTF is the world coming to.

ROFL.

Have you seen te GA gamepay video. If you think in amillions year that gameplay comes een remotely close to Rage, then I dont know what to say. Rage IMO is the 2nd best technical feat on consoles this generation. Textures up close arent where Rages strongpoint is.

And I'm not even goin to bother to name ALL of the HD games which are better than GA visually. There are WAYYYYYYYY to many to number.

GA gaameplay is more inline with pS2 with some PS3 effects and lighting. 

But that in itself is impressive.

pezus said:
selnor said:
pezus said:
selnor said:
No offence. But 'SOME' Sony fans need to get a grip.

Looking at more Vita screens GA is nowhere near DF.

Its actually not even close.

In GA Drakes clothes are blurred textured and underdetailed hugely compared to PS3. Also leaves, wall textures and floor are quite blurry compared to PS3 version. In fact the textures dont beat out alot of HD games. Its actually nowhere near HD console games.

But back in reality, Vita is one awesome Handeld, and the most visually pleasing HH system Ive ever seen.

But HD system? Just WTF is the world coming to.

ROFL.

Have you seen te GA gamepay video. If you think in amillions year that gameplay comes een remotely close to Rage, then I dont know what to say. Rage IMO is the 2nd best technical feat on consoles this generation. Textures up close arent where Rages strongpoint is.

And I'm not even goin to bother to name ALL of the HD games which are better than GA visually. There are WAYYYYYYYY to many to number.

GA gaameplay is more inline with pS2 with some PS3 effects and lighting. 

But that in itself is impressive.

Eh, PS Vita can have a lot more detailed character models for one. Have you seen any PS2 games recently? Most of them look like a blurry mess. PS Vita is much closer to PS3 than to the PS2.

And those screens above were just meant to show you how easy it is to spot very low resolution textures in modern HD console games. "What is the world coming to?" you said.

Yes what is the world coming to.

When on this site many get crap for suggesting that Crysis 2 or Rage or BF3 or Gears 3 beats Unharted 3. 

Yet its not problem when people here think GA is better than most HD games.

Seriously this is crazy talk. 

GA is about as visually good as GOW 2 with some slightly better textures and and more modern effects. Its better but not by huge amounts. Nowhere nar PS3 and 360.

I cant believe after watcing 11 mins of GA that we are having this conversation.

GA looks incredible for HH. Thats the truth. 

Not remotely near HD level.