By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU to only support 1 tablet controller?? Miyamoto speaks...

I think this has more to do with the massive cost of the screen and not wanting consumers to see a game requiring a second one. The Wii Remote / Nunchuk is already excessively priced, the tablet would probably cost $100 stand alone (6" touchscreen is not cheap) and that will turn way too many people off.

Myself, I like this being separate (as long as Wii Remote remains an option). It's not super heavy but I can see a problem with marathon Zelda sessions. It also mean my investment in Wii Mtion+ Remotes isn't lost (not an issue for all people). I think it's actually kind of cool that we still get to use our old controllers from the previous system with the new one, even PS2 didn't entirely do that (they added the pressure sensor buttons). It also makes it easier to see both platforms supported (one set of peripherals in Toys R' Us).

Where I would call this move a mistake though, is things like Madden. Selecting plays separately and such (what was pushed for Sega's VMU) or other small scale uses of the screen are out. Though as I said above, the biggest issue is the price of the screens I imagine. The bandwidth for the stream probably also factors into it. Remember, in Japan's small apartments (or dense urban Europe / America) radio interference is an even bigger deal, and adjacent apartments all throwing out multiple streams could start causing some real issues.

3DS - 2277 - 6636 - 6675 WiiU - Vectorferret
(Write on wall or PM if adding)
Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
dahuman said:
Euphoria14 said:
To those asking what is wrong with the wiimote, thw answer is nothing, it is nearly preference.

Then to those posting the nunchuk in response to my question, that is only 1 analog.

Then to those posting classic controller pro, that just makes more shit I need to buy in order to play games the way I want.

I was excited for this console and it just doesn't seem to be what I need. That may change but it really isn't a big deal if someone doesn't find this console to be that great.

The IR is another analog device buddy, it's really hard for people to wrap that around their heads for some reason. I got my Pro with the MHTri bundle, shit is sexy, was only 10 bucks with the bundle and plugs right into the wiimote /shrug.

I am going to address both you and thetonestarr here. I will start off with thetonestarr.

@thetonestarr

I would have no issue buying multiple screenmotes because they not only already have the dual sticks in place but they also have the screen which is what this console is bringing to the table.

Having to buy another of those as opposed to buying a classic pro are entirely different scenarios. If Wii U was all about me using just the classic pro then what is the main draw to the Wii U?

@dahuman

No need to get snappy, I am fully aware of how the wiimote could be used as an alternative as I have owned one since launch. However, as I already mentioned, it is not my preference. I do not enjoy playing that way. Maybe it is also something in the options but turning for me seems much slower as opposed to using a right analog.

I didn't care for those controls in Prime and I did not care too much for them in Killzone 3 with the Move. It is simply not my thing. I want my dual analogs.

As for the pro, see my answer to thetonestarr.

I don't hate the system guys, don't get me wrong. I just expected more and before all is said and done it could very well be what I want. As I said before, maybe if people like me bitch enough we will get what we want.

They said that the Wii caused a split because the "casual" and players like me. Their aim with the Wii U is to please players like me, not just players who were already content with what they got on their Wii.

I hate using my old footages but I don't know how this turning is slow at all. I can understand some people not having as much precision as me, but there is noway it's slower, it's faster if you have my kinda settings, but you gotta be good at it. I'm just good with all controls =P. In the end though, KBO and Mouse is still the best setup /shrug.

dahuman said:

I hate using my old footages but I don't know how this turning is slow at all. I can understand some people not having as much precision as me, but there is noway it's slower, it's faster if you have my kinda settings, but you gotta be good at it. I'm just good with all controls =P. In the end though, KBO and Mouse is still the best setup /shrug.

That actually is moving pretty fast. What are your settings at?

I have The Conduit so I could try it out. That or try similar settings on KZ3 to see if it makes me enjoy it on Move as well.

I don't play K/B & Mouse so this kind of style has always been alienating to me.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
dahuman said:

I have The Conduit so I could try it out. That or try similar settings on KZ3 to see if it makes me enjoy it on Move as well.

I don't play K/B & Mouse so this kind of style has always been alienating to me.

Generally hitbox really small and camera move speed really high, you have to tweak it, the trick is not using your arm but your wrist, I was up and running in like 5 minutes after I got the game a long time ago after some testing.

KZ3 wouldn't work as well, it has the same "weight" as the analog stick when you use move whereas Conduit moves closer to a mouse setup. I still have to play Conduit 2 =/ it's sitting there lol, stupid LA Noire and League of Legends.

dahuman said:
Euphoria14 said:
dahuman said:

Generally hitbox really small and camera move speed really high, you have to tweak it, the trick is not using your arm but your wrist, I was up and running in like 5 minutes after I got the game a long time ago after some testing.

KZ3 wouldn't work as well, it has the same "weight" as the analog stick when you use move whereas Conduit moves closer to a mouse setup. I still have to play Conduit 2 =/ it's sitting there lol, stupid LA Noire and League of Legends.

Well that would still be alright for me. I wouldn't mind it having the same "weight" as an analog. I just want to be able to turn as fast as I do with analog while having better aim with a pointer.

I'll fuck around with it later. That is if I finish up with Vanquish first.

Game is so awesome.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

That does sound in line with every video Nintendo showed at the E3.
Each time they showed several people playing on the Wii U in the same room, only one of them had a Wii U controller ( and on some noone was actually using the Wii U controller, it was just displaying additional information for the game).
My guess is that there are technical limitation in terms of streaming data to more than one controller as well as displaying it on the TV at the same time. There are probably issues in term of cost of the controller ( I would hazard the new Wii U controller isn't going to come cheap if you want to buy an extra one, I would guess the controller sold alone will probably be around 100$).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

ASStronaut said:
Jaos said:
Wouldn't it require a lot of power for the system to support displaying not only to the TV, but also to several controllers? Nintendo might hesitate, because if a game supports say 4 controllers, then graphics would have to be toned down. That would only make sense if it's used often.

It hasn't only got to send displays to several controllers, it also has to send DIFFERENT displays to the controllers.

If it could do that it would be super expensive.

Why is this different from split screen? Can someone explain it to me?

The BuShA owns all!

Wow thats just stupid.

Vertigo-X said:
ASStronaut said:
Jaos said:
Wouldn't it require a lot of power for the system to support displaying not only to the TV, but also to several controllers? Nintendo might hesitate, because if a game supports say 4 controllers, then graphics would have to be toned down. That would only make sense if it's used often.

It hasn't only got to send displays to several controllers, it also has to send DIFFERENT displays to the controllers.

If it could do that it would be super expensive.

Why is this different from split screen? Can someone explain it to me?

If you have 2 controllers suddenly you have a handle the following at the same time:

- 1080p display on HD tv.

- 2 touchscreen sensitive displays with different viewports through wireless videom stream.

That's starting to be a lot. 

Each controller you add increases the use of the graphic card memory used too as adding a controller doesn't reduce the definition on the Tv or the others controllers ( whereas with splitscreen instead of one huge screen you have two small ones so the actual memory used by the pixels is the same).

The main issue would probably be that games optimized for one controller would start to slow down when you add another controller or could even run into graphic memory issue ( and to prevent that you would have to design the games so that they only use 80% of the memory to account for the possible use of extra controllers...)

And then like someone else said there is the issue of handling multiple wireless video streams which does require some power, suddenly your Wii U starts to look like a wireless router..)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Euphoria14 said:
So you can only use (1) per console and you can not buy them seperately?

So what happens if the tablet breaks?

I don't want to play primarily with Wiimotes again, not to mention (1) tablet per system pretty much throws so much potential out the window.

I'm sure you will be able to buy replacements from the Nintendo online store. 

Also, I have faith that Nintendo will hear our pleads/complaints, if they are indeed thinking of only supporting one tablet controller

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash