By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata and Miyamoto: Wii caused the split between casual/core Wiiu will fix that

Killiana1a said:
OP got this right in the first line "one tablet to rule them all."

All of my attention to the WiiU has been on the controller. The controller has a 6.2 inch screen, speakers, a mic and is intended to be used to play WiiU games if the television is turned off.

I get this and I probe deeper. Nintendo moreso than any other gaming company, of late, has set trends when it comes to innovative controllers. The Wii remote and the way the player played the game with it was a revolutionary concept put into practice.

I think with smart phones, the iPad, and tablet PCs flooding the markets nowadays, the comparison of the WiiU controller to a tablet PC is a captain obvious.

Otherwise why outfit a controller with a mic and speakers?

If Nintendo is going to try and take a stab at the iPad and the entire tablet PC market, then they better get some apps and online connectivity for the WiiU controller.

Otherwise, if it is just a half-assed attempt at trying to replicate the novelty of the Wii Remote, then Nintendo is going to bomb bigger on the WiiU than they are currently doing with the 3DS.

As for the games and hardware of the WiiU console, I see no reason to buy one if one already has a comparable console in the Xbox 360 or PS3.

I believe (not predict) the WiiU console will be a tad more stronger in hardware than the Xbox 360, but not quite as powerful as the PS3.

If this is the new generation console, then I see no reason to buy one considering I already have an HD console and a Wii.

The WiiU controller is not a tablet. As near as can be told it's just a video receiver with a touchscreen. In order to have the functionality you describe, all those programs would have to be run on the WiiU itself.

Though Nintendo showed off video chat as one of the conceptual uses of it, so they may be leaning in that direction.

Also your last line has caused a small part of my brain to begin to boil. It is heating up the rest of my head. I need to lie down.

Around the Network
padib said:
oniyide said:
padib said:
oniyide said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

but only because about half the home console gamers on the planet followed the games they wanted to play.

That's a very dubious number claim.

how is it a dubious claim?? HD consoles have a higher install base than Wii does. And the gamers dont want sameness, tell that to COD

oniyide, it doesn't work quite like that. Summing up the bases for PS3 and 360 don't give the HD installbase. Problem is many users have both or all 3 consoles (even you I think you mentioned). If you have all 3 consoles, that's 3 console sales for one customer. No I'd say the HD install base is at roughly 60 million at the moment, just throwing a number out there, but it's definitely not higher than 86M. Of that 60M, I expect only a fraction of that to be an active base, say 10 to 20M. I go by the game sales. Most games end up selling 2M units combined on the HD plats, mind you the taste variety in that base is so vast that you have to multiply that number by at least 10 different segments.

PS3 has 50 mil worldwide and 360 has 54, thats 104 to 86 for Wii. I see what your saying but lets be real here. most of the multiplat games are available to both PS360 and not Wii. THere called the HD twins for a reason. I was looking at it from the perspective of a third party. THe PS360 are so close to each in terms of dev kits and capabilities im sure when Valve trys to sell, Portal 2 there not looking at we need to sell this much on PS3 or 360, we need to sell this much period. Its not the devs fault that Ninty decided to make a system that would not be compatable with most games they were making. If i want to make an HD game i do have more to work with PS360. I have Wii and PS3, and while i prefer SOny over Ninty, if i was a Ninty fan i would still probably game on PS3 more, simply because they have those 3rd party games that are a no show on Wii

?

I feel like you barely read my post. To help. Let's say you're a 3rd party. Do you think to yourself "If I release HD, I have 104M potential customers". Since money makes most people honest when it comes to what they can gain from something, I'm sure you'd answer a definitive no.

i would say yes. If its HD that means PS3 and 360 those combined you have an install base of 104 mil not that anywhere near as much people will get my game. If i make a WIi only non HD game it would 86 mil potential customers. Or better yet release on all three systems if i can

Xen said:
oniyide said:
Xen said:
So what I get from this is that Iwata & co. caved in to public pressure? Sure looks like they did.
How is it that they miss the fact that the third parties need them more than they need the third parties?

"Evolve", hah. They're just trying to capture both audiences, and as I see it now, this will only end up in alienating them.

no third parties dont need them, you want support for your console, you have to do things to get support for your console. Sony does it, MS does it, what makes Ninty so special that they thought they didnt need to do this. I for one am happy with this direction, they are taking, they are serious about getting 3rd party support

They are heading toward ruin. They are trying to capture a userbase that has no interest whatsoever in their consoles.

because their console didnt have the games that that userbase wanted and if it happen to have it, it was far worse than the competitions. You have the games people will go to you, you dont they wont, that simple

Khuutra said:
Xxain said:
I find it absurd they really believe casual vs hardcore came from a fuckin reslution... are you kidding me?

Whelp I predict 3 way graphic whore competitions in the future as if it wasnt bad now..

NG3 release:

PS3 - " Our is better, the C3ll"
360 - " No Ours More Ram"
WII U - " Ours is cleary better My tablat says so"

Christ, I'm surrounded on all sides, there are too many of you.

They're not talking about the resolution - when they refer to HD they refer to the parity in technological power that leads to that resolution, and thereafter to the other technological prettiness that (according to developers) caused the development split between the Wii and the HD consoles.

Now, in this case, HD does not mean the ability to output in HD resolution. HD means the ability to play a game like Gears of War or Uncharted 2 without the games having to be completely remade from scratch to accomodate the hardware.

Do

You

Dig it?

ive been saying this forever, either people dont care or just dont get it

What? WHAT?

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Xen said:
oniyide said:
Xen said:
So what I get from this is that Iwata & co. caved in to public pressure? Sure looks like they did.
How is it that they miss the fact that the third parties need them more than they need the third parties?

"Evolve", hah. They're just trying to capture both audiences, and as I see it now, this will only end up in alienating them.

no third parties dont need them, you want support for your console, you have to do things to get support for your console. Sony does it, MS does it, what makes Ninty so special that they thought they didnt need to do this. I for one am happy with this direction, they are taking, they are serious about getting 3rd party support

They are heading toward ruin. They are trying to capture a userbase that has no interest whatsoever in their consoles.

because their console didnt have the games that that userbase wanted and if it happen to have it, it was far worse than the competitions. You have the games people will go to you, you dont they wont, that simple

Because multiplats are gonna sell it, oh yeah.

They probably had some impact on the split but I tend to disagree.
What caused the split is social gaming on facebook and smart phones games.

Wii isn't the main source of gaming for casual, not even the second...

They are giving themselves way too much credit for creating casual gaming...

Lets not kid ourselves there are more people that dowloaded angry birds than purchased a Wii...

And good luck to them running after a casual market that is getting more and mose used to free to play games or 2$ games...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Xen said:
oniyide said:
Xen said:
oniyide said:
Xen said:

Because multiplats are gonna sell it, oh yeah.

Well not having them certainly will not help.

padib said:
Ail said:

Lets not kid ourselves there are more people that dowloaded angry birds than purchased a Wii...

And good luck to them running after a casual market that is getting more and mose used to free to play games or 2$ games...

I understand why you're saying that after all the posts, but if you actually return to the OT and the linked article, not once do they take credit for casual gaming. They take blame rather for splitting casual gaming from core gaming rather than keeping them together, and intend on fixing that with Wii U.

They just gots ta keep it togetha.

the difference between both markets these days isn't the difference between the Wii and the HD consoles.

It's the difference betwen what those two markets expects in a game( an gry birds vs super mario or uncharted) and what their expectations are in term of price and they are widely different.( 2$ vs 50$+)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
padib said:
Ail said:

I understand why you're saying that after all the posts, but if you actually return to the OT and the linked article, not once do they take credit for casual gaming. They take blame rather for splitting casual gaming from core gaming rather than keeping them together, and intend on fixing that with Wii U.

They just gots ta keep it togetha.

the difference between both markets these days isn't the difference between the Wii and the HD consoles.

It's the difference betwen what those two markets expects in a game( an gry birds vs super mario or uncharted) and what their expectations are in term of price and they are widely different.( 2$ vs 50$+)

Take this in the context of the console space, which is how it was meant. The traditional, core buyer did float away from the Wii, is what Nintendo is saying. It happened in the console space, not in the context of gaming on the whole.