By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata WiiU cost likle more than 20,000 yens shares falls

That's pretty much the original Wii price set:

The Wii U will "likely" cost more than ¥20,000 ($250/£150), Nintendo leader Satoru Iwata has revealed.

His comments were made to The Nikkei Japanese newspaper and reported by Bloomberg.

Price was a key contributor to the success of Wii. The Wii launch price was ¥25,000, $249.99, £179.99.

In related news Nintendo shares fall today due the lack of information about the new system, same thing happened in 2005 after Wii reveal.

Nintendo Co. fell to the lowest in more than five years after the unveiling of its high-definition video-game console prompted some analysts to question the company’s ability to repeat the success of its Wii model.

“There were high expectations from the new version of the Wii and this fell far short,” Yusuke Tsunoda, an analyst at Tokai Tokyo Securities Co., said by phone today. “People had expected to see something more at a big event like the E3, but there wasn’t really anything more than what’s already reported.”

Nintendo tumbled 5.7 percent to 16,930 yen at the close of trading in Osaka. More than 2.2 million shares changed hands, compared with a six-month daily average of about 720,000.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-08/nintendo-falls-amid-questions-whether-new-console-can-repeat-wii-s-success.html

Around the Network

i think its $350 minimum.

My guess is $299

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Between $299 to $399, the controller look pretty good and the console pushing those graphics can't be cheap, put all that together in 1 box and i would not be surprised if it hit $400.

probably anywhere from $250-$350. I don't see them cracking $400 as Nintendo likes to make stuff affordable, doubly so in a recession. I can see the Wii's expanded audience upgrading to this since it is legitimately a Wii successor instead of that bollocks Sony and MS tried with the Kinect and Move to get Wii gamers to "upgrade" to their hardware.

Around the Network

i say 350! this will be very good when the other two launches their consoles for about 1000 each :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

wow shares fell 5.7 percent, that is big.

the shares falling are ppl just being idiots not trusting nintendo, like the report said. same thing happend when the wii was revealed in 2005, so when everything is known about the system. like the specs,price,launch games, then the shares will rise again and everything will be fine.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

$250 would be an excellent starting price. i originally thought $350 would be it but now i'm thinking $299, Nintendo wants to keep it affordable and beyond the controller it doesn't seem like the system is that expensive?

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
the shares falling are ppl just being idiots not trusting nintendo, like the report said. same thing happend when the wii was revealed in 2005, so when everything is known about the system. like the specs,price,launch games, then the shares will rise again and everything will be fine.

I don't expect it to rise after the specs, price, etc.  I expect the shareholders to act like idiots until 3DS and Wii U take off in sales.  Their shares probably won't improve till holiday season 2012 when people finally realize their systems are selling.

I am guessing the price to be around 300-350 (maybe 350 if they package some software in it like Wii Sports).  350 would be pushing the price a lot for me but I might be willing to drop it (especially if Smash is a launch game or near launch game).