By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Wii U tablet-style controller will not be sold separately from it new HD console?

what would happen if it broke?? I dont like this at all, at least give us the option to buy more than one, what kind of dumb crap is that??

Around the Network

well anyone who doesnt own a WIi already is kinda screwed anyway, you have to buy more controllers, with nunchucks and classic controller. Thats about a 70 dollar investment just for ONE set of controllers

Nintendo could always provide Wii remote and nunchucks for free. The other you already have to buy it anyways.

axt113 said:
Been telling people this console is doomed to fail

So, from the perspective of the quality of existence, is what you gain by being right greater than you being wrong?  Are you planning on having a party 5 years down the road if what you are predicting is correct?

Mr Khan said:
axt113 said:

I've seen your reasoning behind that assertion, and would contest it. The tablet itself is no more intimidating than a DS, having no more buttons or functionality than the DS had (well, extra analogues, but still more or less the same as that very high-selling device).

You're not seeing Nintendo "concede" to other forms of entertainment rather than acknowledge consumer difficulties with various forms of entertainment competing for TV space. Now for some, perhaps many, single-player games, you can compromise, lowering one of the barriers of entry for more upstream games (that you hog the TV by playing them so long). At the same time, the device means that Nintendo can go forwards with many of the Wii experiences, with local multiplayer games for all

This just opens up more options. The remaining question is how these options will be utilized, but that's always what ultimately makes or breaks a console anyway

Analog sticks are enough to intimidate, and having two is even more complex, not to mention, its not the same as the DS, the DS touchscreem was small and makde it look like a PDA, this looks like an Ipad with a Wiimote and two nunchuks grafted on.

Yes you are seeing it conced, Wii was about competing with all other entertainment, being the center of the entertainment relam of the household, this clearly shows concession, Baseball is on, move to the small screen, and if its a multiplayuer game, well too bad.  The Wii was about controlling the TV space, and if you wanted to do other stuf, you did it through the Wii, not in place of the Wii.

No it doesn;t open more options, it isolates the gamer, and takes gaming away from the center of the house entertainment world , the fact that there is only one Upad proves this

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
axt113 said:

So, from the perspective of the quality of existence, is what you gain by being right greater than you being wrong?  Are you planning on having a party 5 years down the road if what you are predicting is correct?

Yes, because the direction the industry and Nintendo with it is moving in is a direction where gaming will stagnate, and wither, the alternative direction thatwas what the Wii and DS represented was a direction in which gaming became a true mainstream media.

Its good to see Nintendo fail with the 3DS, and Wii U, as it will likely mean that there is a sea change in the company and the industry sooner, perhaps tossing out the old fools who currently run the place and replacing them with people who actually listen to the market.

axt113 said:
richardhutnik said:
axt113 said:

Yes, because the direction the industry and Nintendo with it is moving in is a direction where gaming will stagnate, and wither, the alternative direction thatwas what the Wii and DS represented was a direction in which gaming became a true mainstream media.

Its good to see Nintendo fail with the 3DS, and Wii U, as it will likely mean that there is a sea change in the company and the industry sooner, perhaps tossing out the old fools who currently run the place and replacing them with people who actually listen to the market.

This one i've seen from you before too, and you're really not going to get anyone better. Anyone younger is going to be from "the industry," and naturally be a worse fit because they'll either be young developers with all the bad ideas that come with young developers, or they'll be businessmen who will employ shortsighted moneymaking strategies and dilute the Nintendo we know and love into just another industry player.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
axt113 said:
richardhutnik said:
axt113 said:

This one i've seen from you before too, and you're really not going to get anyone better. Anyone younger is going to be from "the industry," and naturally be a worse fit because they'll either be young developers with all the bad ideas that come with young developers, or they'll be businessmen who will employ shortsighted moneymaking strategies and dilute the Nintendo we know and love into just another industry player.

Actually buisiness people would probably be the best choice, since they are the ones who actually are less concerned about doing what they want, and actually doing what consumers want, because it will net them the most profit and marketshare, Miyamoto and the restaren't interested in making 2D mario or a Zelda that isnt puzzle filled (heck even the ninty rep said its all about puzzles in SS, *barf*), or sidescrolling Metroid with no weepy Samus, but probably the business people at Nintendo see that the current games aren't doing massive sales and aren't capturing large marketshare, these are the people who are more likely to want to see the games that the market wants, that will sell more.  The problem isn't the business side, its the developers who think they are so imaginative and  creative.

axt113 said:
Mr Khan said:

Actually buisiness people would probably be the best choice, since they are the ones who actually are less concerned about doing what they want, and actually doing what consumers want, because it will net them the most profit and marketshare, Miyamoto and the restaren't interested in making 2D mario or a Zelda that isnt puzzle filled (heck even the ninty rep said its all about puzzles in SS, *barf*), or sidescrolling Metroid with no weepy Samus, but probably the business people at Nintendo see that the current games aren't doing massive sales and aren't capturing large marketshare, these are the people who are more likely to want to see the games that the market wants, that will sell more.  The problem isn't the business side, its the developers who think they are so imaginative and  creative.

To be a great success in the tech industry you need leadership with vision, and vision only seems to come from the actual product-designers (in this case, the developers), but even then only from the developers who really pioneered the industry in the first place. You see it in Apple with Steve Jobs. In this industry, you also see what happens when the real, hard numbers business-types take over. You get Activision, monster profits, and brand-names ground into the dirt like fine powder, and a company on the whole with a bland and toothless image.

Now if Nintendo could find the *right* businessperson, who could gently correct the company's problems without radically reorienting, then we'd have something, but likely they would find Japanese Kotick

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

richardhutnik said:
gumby_trucker said:
so much for more crystal chronicles, or four-swords games...
Why wasn't this just released as an add-on for the Wii again??

Because the system it is attached to needs to process the video for it, and output it.  Also, Nintendo needs a high def entry into the home console arena to be competitive.  This controller is just a differentiator.  I still see that the 3DS will be an option as a controller for the Wii U, and also will still be an option for fully individual screen play.

I agree that it is technically impossible to do this with Wii (unless the tablet itself was doing some of the processing), but to me the whole proposition doesn't offer enough for me to actually think about it as a new console experience. It's essentially a Wii with HD graphics and a UDraw that I can play alone with the TV off.

I don't care about HD graphics (in fact I considered SD a facilitator to innovation), and the new system is casting aside features I loved like pointer functionality, split controllers and gamecube b/c.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club