By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Discs Will Be 25GB In Size

Linkasf said:
Kynes said:
Linkasf said:
MrT-Tar said:
25GB will be more than enough.

Hell, I can even only think of 3 Wii games that come on dual-layer DVDs (SSBB, Metroid Other M and Metroid Prime Trilogy, TLS might do but I'm not sure)

i'm not sure if you're taking into account on the graphical leap which will cause these games to take space. Not to mention if they will use uncompressed sound, textures, etc... I wonder. I hope that the space will be utilized to make longer games as well as this gen is full of 8 hour games.

Using uncompressed sound or textures in a game is absurd. You have really high quality lossy algorithms that are much more efficient in space use and need low amounts of processing power. PCM and RAW formats are only needed to work with the highest quality assets in the production stage, they aren't practical at the final stage, and the streaming speed from the optical/hard disk drive is much slower than with compressed assets.

Yea I get what you're saying and I didn't say that I would want uncompressed sound and what not. I mean, I remember when some PS3 boys would say how much better it is with it uncompressed and I never looked up to see if it was a good or bad thing. I guess now I know I wouldnt want those types of things uncompressed. Well that means more use for the disk space I hope. I really hope that the games have more content this way.

That was a way to try to justify the superiority of Blu-Ray discs. DTS and AC-3 are lossy algorithms, but have such a high quality in their highest bit rates available,  that are indistinguishable from the uncompressed sound.

Around the Network

Heck yah, as for the question will WiiU have Blu-Ray playback capabilities, I doubt it. As someone else said Nintendo is probably using their own disk format. Nintendo would never use a competitors technology directly. Also Nintendo seems unlikely to care about movie formats as Wii did fine without DVD and while GameCube never lit up the charts it too survived without DVD.

Honestly if games are truly going to utalize the WiiU's power which is said to be more powerful then PS3. Then I think 25-gig may actually be too little. Then again how many PS3 games used over the 25-gig's? It'll be interesting to see how this format plays out for Nintendo.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

It's nothing more than a Blu-ray drive with the movie playback capabilities disabled via software, so they don't have to pay royalties, as they did with the Wii. You can use your Wii to watch DVDs with a homebrew media player, so it's probable that someday you will be able to do so with the Wii U and blu ray movies.

mysticwolf said:
Is that a lot, compared to the other consoles?

As much as single layer Blu-ray or 4 DVD discs used by X360.

I wonder if it's Blu-ray technology without media reading to save few cents on licensing or did they found cheap suplier of HD-DVD drives.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

that seems appropriate, meaning now that the 360 has the lowest disc space. My guess is that with internal storage they're just telling customers that they can keep adding space to it with external HDDs. It's probably so they don't have to release more SKUs like Sony and MS did.

Around the Network

25 GB is more than enough.

I am expecting someone to come in here and mention MGS4 as an example that 25 GB might not be enough, but if I remember correctly that game has uncompressed audio which is completely superfluous.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

640kb is enough for anyone!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
640kb is enough for anyone!

that's RAM you don't need more than 640k of RAM

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

As expected, they made a bastard son of blu-ray.
Also, lol @ 8GB internal. That's hardly enough. Not everyone will be willing to expand further with USB drives.

Aiddon said:
that seems appropriate, meaning now that the 360 has the lowest disc space. My guess is that with internal storage they're just telling customers that they can keep adding space to it with external HDDs. It's probably so they don't have to release more SKUs like Sony and MS did.

More like they are dropping entry price as much as possible and leave the cost of storage to consumer.

Then again it's still miles better than X360 hdds ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB