By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How are Nintendo going to win back the 'Core' Gamer?

I really am puzzled by what I've seen. The graphics are on par with PS360, so no that isn't a box ticked Reggie.

He claims it'll have online but won't talk about it, whatever it is, it won't be better than Xbox Live or PSN for obvious reasons. (MS and Sony being ahead by 1 gen and the massive development it needs)

3rd party support? Why would core gamers jump ship? Not to mention 720 will likely be shown next E3, for release in 2013, before the WiiU releases, and show a massive upgrade that will really get core gamers excited.

The core aspects of WiiU are already on PS360, and have been for 5/6 years ...

Around the Network

I'm going to wait and see before I count out the Wii U's graphics as "on par" with the current HD consoles, because it is likely that these games are running at 1080p @60fps vs the sub-720p and below 30fps performance of many HD console games, and I doubt many of the visuals we have seen are representative of what the system can do; on top of that I believe many of the people who are making this complaint would make it regardless of what was demoed, and they would claim that Crysis 2 at 1080p with ultra-high detail was essentially a HD console game.

On the topic of third party support, the developers don't have to "jump ship" and getting significant third party support is probably much easier with this system than with the Wii. Rather than Nintendo having to fight publishers to devote $10 to $20 Million to producing a game from the ground up for the Wii, Nintendo can argue for $5 to $10 Million be devoted to produce an enhanced port for the Wii U; and since this would be used by strong teams to create enhanced versions of good games this money would probably result in better results for everyone.

Their controller has a screen on it.

HappySqurriel said:
I'm going to wait and see before I count out the Wii U's graphics as "on par" with the current HD consoles, because it is likely that these games are running at 1080p @60fps vs the sub-720p and below 30fps performance of many HD console games, and I doubt many of the visuals we have seen are representative of what the system can do; on top of that I believe many of the people who are making this complaint would make it regardless of what was demoed, and they would claim that Crysis 2 at 1080p with ultra-high detail was essentially a HD console game.

On the topic of third party support, the developers don't have to "jump ship" and getting significant third party support is probably much easier with this system than with the Wii. Rather than Nintendo having to fight publishers to devote $10 to $20 Million to producing a game from the ground up for the Wii, Nintendo can argue for $5 to $10 Million be devoted to produce an enhanced port for the Wii U; and since this would be used by strong teams to create enhanced versions of good games this money would probably result in better results for everyone.

I wasn't talking about devs jumping ship, I was talking about core gamers.

What happens next gen though when PS4 and 720 are miles ahead again? It'll be the same scenario all over again.

While I do agree nintendo might run into a ditch 2-3 years down the line, right now it seems that what the actually did was a good move in terms of the general public (namely if it can deliever what it promises in the first year). However with people like me and you, who are completely knowledgeable, it seems like a questionable move.

Around the Network
Seece said:
HappySqurriel said:

I wasn't talking about devs jumping ship, I was talking about core gamers.

What happens next gen though when PS4 and 720 are miles ahead again? It'll be the same scenario all over again.

New Ninja Gaiden Title Exclusively Being Created for Nintendo’s Wii U??

News are coming out slowly

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

nintendo will be back again in graphics next gen

Most of those third party games will have already released on PS3/360 by the time WiiU releases, not to motion there are many more to come only on PS3/360. There is Wii's legacy too. Nintendo is fighting a long-lost battle imo.

HappySqurriel said:

Every single third party game showed is going to release one year later on the Wii U than on the HD consoles, I fail to see how that is going to help...

Especially as history as shown that late release on one platform usually have bad sales numbers..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Not everybody expects a massive jump from MS and Sony next time. There have been plenty of whispers around to suggest as much.

That said, I don't think the difference between an HD console and a more powerful HD console is the same as the difference between an SD console and an HD console...

As for winning people back... That'll only apply to people they actually had in the first place...

VGChartz