By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do I want a screen on my controller?

NJ5 said:
theARTIST0017 said:
theARTIST0017 said:
twesterm said:

I thought it did have dual analog sticks?

http://kotaku.com/5809519/take-a-tour-of-the-amazing-wii-u-controller-in-our-hands

Oh my God (sorry God I had to) Okay, this controller is AMAZING!!!

Wait a minute again haha, the videp shows the sticks as being "circle pads" similar to the one found on the Nintendo 3DS instead of an actual analog stick found on the Wii Remote. Now I don't know if its just me though but thats what I see . . .

I've seen several sources calling them "analog sliders", a term I had never heard before...

Do they work well? As good as sticks?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
9009pc said:

I think this is a brilliant idea.  I initially frowned at it but I have slowly been won round, the more I think of it and the more effect I feel it will have on core games the more interested I have become.

I am a fan of Sony and I guess as has happened on many occasion I was originally blinded by ignorance. when in the thread ps vita + ps3= wii U, I sort of got round to thinking more about the tech or more specifically when it was mounted on top of the gun thing, only then did I realise how it incredibly this is.

here the post were I realised.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4092488

Yeah...no.

The entry price alone tells you that isn't happening.

Nintendo thinks that slapping a touchscreen on their controller will be the same as the Wiimote, in that it'll allow for greater immersion and fun new gaming ideas. The problem there is that the Wiimote actually made games MORE accessible, while this Wii U controller seems to just make games more clunky and awkward to control.

this controller has near unlimited potential. it is just a question of if third parties will utilize it.

and sure it looks awkward now, but this thing has over a year before it releases. we could very well see a better design later. im personally very excited for this system. now if we could get a look at the console...

SILENT SCOPE RETURNS MOTHER FLIPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

other than that I really think this opens up a whole lot of opportunities, for game like battalion wars would benefit a great deal where the touch screen could control the rts gameplay, otherwise use it for ds like uses.
fps it could be used for some cool things, precisions aiming, security cameras, review mirrors in racers, controlling multiple characters, complex command systems, frankly I think it is a fantastic idea, but it should be a little smaller screen, the controller looks a little cumbersome as it is.
Multiple sizes would be a-okay as well

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Vertigo-X said:
NJ5 said:

Answer: I probably don't.

I can imagine some games will use it in a gimmicky fashion, a few games maybe even in a worthy fashion.

But in general I don't get why they didn't make it an add-on. The controller is huge and the screen doesn't look worth it. Even ignoring the fact that it might be expensive and use a lot of battery.

Imagine local multiplayer with it. No more split screen for the games that use this, perhaps?

That sounds good. Not sure it's worth the trouble of this new controller, given that it means going back to gamepads and quite unwieldy ones at that.

And now Nintendo confirms local multiplayer won't be possible with the new controller, it won't even be sold separately according to current info...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think it's genius, only in time will we see it's true potential

Going by this thread Nintendo really need to dumb things down so that people can understand the basics.. No wonder they aren't showing more info right now when people don't even understand the controller..

Also hands-on sessions have said it is really light so I don't think the size will be a major issue.

kowenicki said:
You know all those adverts and news articles showing little kids and grannies really enjoying the wii, well you won't see them with this. So unless the more traditional gamer goes for this then nintendo just massively reduced their audience in my opinion. Expensive for a family of four too. . .

I just don't get it.

What are you talking about? Of course you'll see that! Even the tech demo's Nintendo have been showing people are perfect for that, watch the video here: http://e3.nintendo.com/videos/#/all/HW_demo

And people who already own Wii Remotes will be able to play multiplayer without having to buy anything other than the system and a game. That discredits the whole "expensive" part of your argument.

puffy said:
Going by this thread Nintendo really need to dumb things down so that people can understand the basics.. No wonder they aren't showing more info right now when people don't even understand the controller..

Also hands-on sessions have said it is really light so I don't think the size will be a major issue.

Please tell me what basics I didn't understand...

@kowenicki: Price won't be an issue because apparently you can't even buy the Wii U controller. There's one per console and that's it (which defeats many of the possibilities which were actually promising with this controller such as local multiplayer with or without hidden information).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957