By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do I want a screen on my controller?

Touch screen gives amazing functionality (quick chatting with your online friends, wow) but like Twest said, sadly the controller seems too big and clumsy.

Around the Network

I just realised how awsome Fatal Frame would be with that controller!

Vertigo-X said:
NJ5 said:

Answer: I probably don't.

I can imagine some games will use it in a gimmicky fashion, a few games maybe even in a worthy fashion.

But in general I don't get why they didn't make it an add-on. The controller is huge and the screen doesn't look worth it. Even ignoring the fact that it might be expensive and use a lot of battery.

Imagine local multiplayer with it. No more split screen for the games that use this, perhaps?

That sounds good. Not sure it's worth the trouble of this new controller, given that it means going back to gamepads and quite unwieldy ones at that.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

twesterm said:

I thought it did have dual analog sticks?

http://kotaku.com/5809519/take-a-tour-of-the-amazing-wii-u-controller-in-our-hands

Oh my God (sorry God I had to) Okay, this controller is AMAZING!!!

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

theARTIST0017 said:
twesterm said:

http://kotaku.com/5809519/take-a-tour-of-the-amazing-wii-u-controller-in-our-hands

Wait a minute again haha, the videp shows the sticks as being "circle pads" similar to the one found on the Nintendo 3DS instead of an actual analog stick found on the Wii Remote. Now I don't know if its just me though but thats what I see . . .

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
I just realised how awsome Fatal Frame would be with that controller!

OH WOW!! That would be AMAZING. Hm I wouldn't mind Nintendo bringing Fatal Frame IV to the U.S this way. :) 

ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
it 's a shame nintendo goes hd now
next year ps4 and xbox 720 are annaunced and nintendo is again back in technology

Super Nintendo was behind in technology (I think okay maybe excluding the Super FX chip)

Playstation  1 and 2 were behind in technology

Wii was behind in technology . . .

My point is its not always a "technological" factor that is the decider . . .

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

theARTIST0017 said:
theARTIST0017 said:
twesterm said:

Wait a minute again haha, the videp shows the sticks as being "circle pads" similar to the one found on the Nintendo 3DS instead of an actual analog stick found on the Wii Remote. Now I don't know if its just me though but thats what I see . . .

I've seen several sources calling them "analog sliders", a term I had never heard before...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Why would anyone want a screen on the controller?

Well, for one you have all the advantages of the second screen on the DS. Unless you absolutely hated the DS as a concept, you can't fault this. It will reduce interface clutter first and foremost, but it will also support multiple play perspectives, information hiding, asymetric play modes, etc. The touchscreen and gyroskope also both lend themselves to unique ways of interaction.

I can imagine a horror game where the main character's viewpoint is displayed on the controller, showing paranormal manifestations or subjective experiences that can't be seen or interacted with on the main screen. It's something that is neither superficial, nor possible on any other system.

I think the controller might be somewhat feature-stuffed, but the core idea of it the best thing I've seen out of Nintendo since the DS. Just the possibilites of how this might be used in a new Zelda - Skyward Sword has nothing on that, even ignoring the fact that a WiiU game will likely use the Wiimote, as well. Of course, I'm also looking forward to a Four Swords 3DS/WiiU crossover. Ah, to a Zelda fan these days...

I think this is a brilliant idea.  I initially frowned at it but I have slowly been won round, the more I think of it and the more effect I feel it will have on core games the more interested I have become.

I am a fan of Sony and I guess as has happened on many occasion I was originally blinded by ignorance. when in the thread ps vita + ps3= wii U, I sort of got round to thinking more about the tech or more specifically when it was mounted on top of the gun thing, only then did I realise how it incredibly this is.

here the post were I realised.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4092488

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).