By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Wii game sales explode????

Ordeith said:

People are missing the obvious, unfortunately.

The Wii was scarce again this christmas, due to its continued popularity.

Many retailers took advantage of this and only made the Wii available in bundles. Some, like Toys R Us, pretty much required a shopper to purchase the entire Wii library in order to get their hands on a Wii.

This has to have inflated software sales.

We did no such thing. Some online places did, I'm sure, but Toys R Us stores did not.

I'm sure bundles played a role. From my perspective -- an actual TRU employee -- I can tell you the main reason I've seen; lots of people have been buying Wiis for Christmas since August, anticipating shortages. These people came back at Christmas to buy software for the system they purchased months ago. There were well over a dozen cases of people telling me this openly -- which means there were many many more who did the same thing, but without telling me. This not only explains the weaker August/September software sales, but the November/December surge in one perfectly logical explanation.

It's probably some combo of both, really. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

what would you call exploding?

this last record week, 360 had a higher attach rate, which i think is what people call games sold per console, than the wii

wii had 1,5 million wii's and 6 million games
against 600.000 360's and 3,5 million games

just do the math

''Hadouken!''

i wish we had software totals

''Hadouken!''

Bundles, yes, maybe... Movies arent doing aswell as they use to, music is BLAH and nothing but reruns on the tele. Whats a person to do? Hmmm I know, BUY GAMES for the system I... err, they have. Who's counting? Just keep buying/playing and remember Play safe and dont forget to strap it on.

Ajax said:
what would you call exploding?

this last record week, 360 had a higher attach rate, which i think is what people call games sold per console, than the wii

wii had 1,5 million wii's and 6 million games
against 600.000 360's and 3,5 million games

just do the math

I really don't think its fair to compare the attach rate for the 360 and Wii when the 360 already had a year lead on their software libraries. It would be better to compare both console's attach rate at the same point in their lives.

Video Game Papercrafts

The only reason Sakurai allowed Snake is because he was already a clone

Wii Friend Code: 2854 9908 3926 2816

Around the Network

because a game gets a spot on the chartz if its packed with the system witch is total bull o wii sports is #1 well no s#!T its packed with the best selling console and how fortza and ultimate alliance are selling like hot cakes but who the F buys Marvel ultimate alliance?

See: 18.5 m user base for Wii + Christmas (Where a lot of whiny kids really want Galaxy).

This, plus bundling, will give you incredible sales numbers.

Currently playing: Civ 6

The math is simple : the Wii sold nearly twice as much games as the XB360.
Attach rate is just misleading in this context, and I'm surprised so many people were so mislead by it.
You can't use attach rate to measure anything, when one console is selling more than twice as fast as its nearest competition. Especially when the customers buying it have completely unknown behaviour compared to common trends, like what Bodhesatva explained.
Actually, people that argued Wii software sales always used a self-fulfilling prophecy. Most always went by ignoring some Wii game sales, like Wii Sports or Wii Play.
Despite these games appearing as software sales in Nintendo's quaterly financial reports, these people manage to contest them being software sales. Denial total!

BTW, no Wii game is second generation for now, not even Mario Galaxy, and SSBB isn't either : they are 1st generation at best. None of the games out now for the Wii at least. Perhaps the next Konami, Namco Bandai (the ToS only team in fact), EA Sports, Capcom titles, and of course Nintendo, will be 2nd generation games, but that's all. None of the other third parties have even reached the state of 1st generation of Wii games, for shame. Most of their games are not even at the level of high end Gamecube. It's another record of the Wii (but not its fault) : the record of most lame effort put by 3rd party on games for the crushing leader of the generation.

I still wish for these 3rd party to go under, instead of taking all the console gaming world with them.
This attitude is just stupid, self-destructing and inexcusable. Like making cross platform games for the Wii 6 months later, when it's too late. I would not support such developers.

daactualfact said:
diomedes, you starting to act like leoj!

Sorry but leo-j is an angel compared to Diomedes. He's like the master troll of the site, and considering his age... it's kinda sad.

1. Good games are finally out.
2. Many of those 15 million who purchased Wii's in the past 12 months wanted games for their systems.
3. Most wallets aren't completely empty after buying a Wii (unlike some consoles).
4. Wii appears to have the greatest diversity in its market, which means one game just ain't enough to satisfy everyone in the household.

On the bundles and TRU, I've not seen them offered here. In fact I do recall reading an iterview with some Nintendo rep (Reggie?) saying that they don't like bundles, do not want dealers forcing bundles on gamers, and have ways of dealing with those who do so (like making them a low priority for future Wii shipments). A year ago Nintendo might not have had the leverage to do this, but with the phenomenal success of the Wii and DS, the retailers have little choice but to cater to their wishes.