By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Wii game sales explode????

Regarding "2nd" generation games: I think Sqrl, HappySquirrel, Bodhesatva, BenKenobi and Naznatips (plus others) have all been to some degree or another predicting the shift in the quality of software for awhile. It's a little early to call it a done deal but it will keep improving. Fortunately for Nintendo they seemed to have been planning on pretty much going it alone (like the GC-gen) and had enough software to sustain the console sales in the first year.

Around the Network
daactualfact said:
Weeks ago, people were talking about how the Wii doesn't sale nearly as much software as the 360. they said that wii owners don't by games and that will lower the sales of the wii. but lately this fall and the holiday, the Wii has beaten the 360 worldwide in gamesales. (hardware sales are a differenrt story and we already know about that!) your thoughts??

Lets take a closer look at your statement:

- You're probably talking solely about sales in the Americas, cause in other regions 360 hasn't nearly been as successful.

- Weeks ago is probably months ago, to be specific somewhere at the beginning of October. Wii didn't have any big releases since Metroid Prime 3 more than a month before and 360 just recently had Halo 3 released which contributed heavily to high software sales for 360 for a big part of the month.

Now if we take those 2 facts into the equation it is actually pretty easy to conclude what happened. Some people were just exaggerating how poorly Wii did compared to 360. Taking into account what was released for both systems around that time it only made sense for 360 to outsell Wii by a big margin.

koffieboon said:
daactualfact said:
Weeks ago, people were talking about how the Wii doesn't sale nearly as much software as the 360. they said that wii owners don't by games and that will lower the sales of the wii. but lately this fall and the holiday, the Wii has beaten the 360 worldwide in gamesales. (hardware sales are a differenrt story and we already know about that!) your thoughts??

Lets take a closer look at your statement:

- You're probably talking solely about sales in the Americas, cause in other regions 360 hasn't nearly been as successful.

- Weeks ago is probably months ago, to be specific somewhere at the beginning of October. Wii didn't have any big releases since Metroid Prime 3 more than a month before and 360 just recently had Halo 3 released which contributed heavily to high software sales for 360 for a big part of the month.

Now if we take those 2 facts into the equation it is actually pretty easy to conclude what happened. Some people were just exaggerating how poorly Wii did compared to 360. Taking into account what was released for both systems around that time it only made sense for 360 to outsell Wii by a big margin.

yeah. you pretty much got it.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

but i also thought that the 360 was outselling wii in software worldwide before october because america mostly!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

Well I think the Wii is selling more like a toy than anything and in that context its usual to see toy sales explode in christmas ,even more than traditional videogames .The Wii is receiving a lot of sales because old timers and parents that buy the machine for their children ....now its the time of the year to feed the machine and going to the store and buying whatever is there as present .

Around the Network

a bunch of people up there explained my first post perfectly. Thank you. :)

Diomedes: then why is it that Wii sales are the most stable when looked at annually? The other two holiday spikes are much higher, relatively.

People are missing the obvious, unfortunately.

The Wii was scarce again this christmas, due to its continued popularity.

Many retailers took advantage of this and only made the Wii available in bundles.  Some, like Toys R Us, pretty much required a shopper to purchase the entire Wii library in order to get their hands on a Wii.

This has to have inflated software sales.

Simple people need games for their Wii, lots of Wii's were purchased and lots of games were purchased as well

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

fkusumot said:

Regarding "2nd" generation games: I think Sqrl, HappySquirrel, Bodhesatva, BenKenobi and Naznatips (plus others) have all been to some degree or another predicting the shift in the quality of software for awhile. It's a little early to call it a done deal but it will keep improving. Fortunately for Nintendo they seemed to have been planning on pretty much going it alone (like the GC-gen) and had enough software to sustain the console sales in the first year.

Actually, I hadn't even thought they might have been preparing to go it alone. I can see now why mario kart and brawl were pushed back (I can picture smg, mario kart and brawl as a triple threat over the holiday season if they were having trouble). Since they werent they were able to add some more to the games and push their releases to some of the slowest months in sales.

nitro glyserine