By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony have already won...

fkusumot said:
X-Man said:

I'm not talking about share holders, i'm talking about how much Sony has made from the Playstation brand. Software sales alone make up the losses from the PS3. And again, MS aren't making money, they're recouping. Nintendo are making a killing though.

What? What is your source for this information?

My conclusion is based on logic, not a source. Sony have sold around 1.8 billion units of software with the PS1 and PS2. You do the math.

Around the Network
X-Man said:

If the war is between PS3/360, quite frankly, Sony have already won.

Looking back, the PS2 got the bulk of its sales from Europe (Others), not NA or Japan. At the rate the PS3 is selling, it will overtake the 360 in 'Others' by mid-08.

Japan is by far the smallest region but it's certainly not insignificant. Between the PS3 and 360, it pretty much belongs to Sony. The coming of games such as Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII will only further escalate the situation.

That only leaves North America. Microsoft cannot win this war with strong NA sales alone. Unless they can turn this around, they're destined to come in third.

As I see it, 08 is the make or break year for both Microsoft and Sony. And to some extent, Nintendo.

If you reply then please give reasonable and logical answers. And for the love of God, no fanboys.

Narf

Diomedes1976 said:
As long as the Wii users are casuals of the worst kind and third party software bombs in the machine the Wii will be a little more that a toy only Nintendo gets benefit from .

In that perspective the real "videogame " market is between the X360 and PS3 ,and PS3 will win sooner or later .

Not only userbase decides where development goes .If that were the case there wouldnt be ever any new generation because the new machines when launched (and along their first year usually ) get outsold by they older siblings .There are far more PC enabled to run games optimized for graphics cards along the 6800 models that after the 8800 .But ,this industry moves on technology and the new developments will be for PS3 and X360 ,thats where the fresh money will go .Wii will have its fun minigames ,gimmicky sports games and the likes along the Nintendo franchises and that will be all.Oh ,and quick cash-ins and shovelware of course ,its speciality .Thats pretty clear .

Bingo.

X-Man said:
fkusumot said:
X-Man said:

I'm not talking about share holders, i'm talking about how much Sony has made from the Playstation brand. Software sales alone make up the losses from the PS3. And again, MS aren't making money, they're recouping. Nintendo are making a killing though.

My conclusion is based on logic, not a source. Sony have sold around 1.8 billion units of software with the PS1 and PS2. You do the math.

Who's logic? Lets do the math on software sales for nintendo counting GB, GBC, GBA, DS, NES, SNES, N64, GC, and Wii , whats the total there?

If you dont really have a source, and its based on "logic" I have to ask again who's logic? Sony thought it was logical to put out a george forman grill for 500 and 600 dollars respectively, they thought it was logical to release a controller that looked like a boomerang, was it? probabally not.

X-Man said:

I'd like to see some evidence that 'Sony made about 2 billion with PS2 total profit, INCLUDING software'. I'm curious as to where you get your information from.

I thought it was generally known... feel free to disprove me, but i don't feel the need to prove myself because a lot of what you have said so far is BS.

130 million PS2s is not the true number of PS2s sold, it may be the number Sony have made, but they have certainly not sold that many.
and claiming PS2 will sell another 15-20 million is massively optimistic.... it has sold 8.5 million in the last year, and it is very much slowing down in sales, I expect more like 5 million for 2008, followed by a further 5 million for 2009/10 --till it dies.
now if we add that 10 million to the current SALES number VGC has, we only get 125 million (though i suspect VGC is in fact a tad low, but not by more than 3-4 million)... so if you want I will round it to 130 million sold lifetime, (which does not include any Sony had to hand out for free under guarantee)

Furthermore, your comment about PS3 software cancelling the PS3 hardware loss is BS too, we know from the last fiscal reports that the PS division of Sony is losing a lot of money, and we know that the PS2 hardware and software is massively profitable, and the PSP software, although not in great demand, at least makes SOny a profit (PSP hardware may also make profit).... yet they still lose millions upon million of dollars because the PS3 hardware is dragging them down.
Which means, using basic math that  PS2+ PSP hardware profit + PS2+PSP+PS3 software profit is still significantly less than the loss on PS3 hardware.

Edit: I see your later comment clarified that you actually mean PS1+PS2 total software cancelled out PS3 hardware...this may be true but what exactly does it mean?... the Playstation brand is losing lots of money NOW, I suspect in terms of total profit the PS1 might have meant they are currently even, or possibly profitable overall, but no one cares about PS1 when Sony is losing so much on the PS3 now.

Around the Network
X-Man said:
fkusumot said:
X-Man said:

My conclusion is based on logic, not a source. Sony have sold around 1.8 billion units of software with the PS1 and PS2. You do the math.

Nope. You can't do this. You can't talk about this generation, make a statement you can't backup, and then cite software sales from the last TWO generations as a reason why the PS3 isn't losing money.

The bottom line is, for every PS3 Sony sells, they lose money. The exact amount isn't certain, but they certainly aren't posting any profits. Early estimates put the losses at a little over $200, and even if Sony has closed that gap to under $50, if you say they lost an average of say ~$75 per console (VERY conservative), they have (8.5 mil * $75) to make up, and software sales this gen just aren't there yet.

It's true that the PS1 was successful, and the PS2 printed money, but both have NOTHING to do with the PS3 losing money this gen.

Your conclusion is based on "fuzzy logic". Good luck with that one .

Edited for spelling. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

jlrx said:
X-Man said:
fkusumot said:
X-Man said:

Who's logic? Lets do the math on software sales for nintendo counting GB, GBC, GBA, DS, NES, SNES, N64, GC, and Wii , whats the total there?

If you dont really have a source, and its based on "logic" I have to ask again who's logic? Sony thought it was logical to put out a george forman grill for 500 and 600 dollars respectively, they thought it was logical to release a controller that looked like a boomerang, was it? probabally not.

What does Nintendo software sales have to do with anything? My conclusion isn't based on someones logic, it's based on reasoned and reasonable judgment ie logic. You're deluding yourself if you think they made less than 2 billion dollars on PS1 and PS2 software combined.

TWRoO said:
X-Man said:

I'd like to see some evidence that 'Sony made about 2 billion with PS2 total profit, INCLUDING software'. I'm curious as to where you get your information from.

I thought it was generally known... feel free to disprove me, but i don't feel the need to prove myself because a lot of what you have said so far is BS.

130 million PS2s is not the true number of PS2s sold, it may be the number Sony have made, but they have certainly not sold that many.
and claiming PS2 will sell another 15-20 million is massively optimistic.... it has sold 8.5 million in the last year, and it is very much slowing down in sales, I expect more like 5 million for 2008, followed by a further 5 million for 2009/10 --till it dies.
now if we add that 10 million to the current SALES number VGC has, we only get 125 million (though i suspect VGC is in fact a tad low, but not by more than 3-4 million)... so if you want I will round it to 130 million sold lifetime, (which does not include any Sony had to hand out for free under guarantee)

Lol. disprove you? Why would I do that? The burden of proof is on you. Your statement isn't based on a source, or even reasonable judgement, it's just a fact you made up out of thin air.

That's like someone saying, there's a DS orbiting the moon. Disprove me.

lvader said:
Diomedes1976 said:
As long as the Wii users are casuals of the worst kind and third party software bombs in the machine the Wii will be a little more that a toy only Nintendo gets benefit from .

In that perspective the real "videogame " market is between the X360 and PS3 ,and PS3 will win sooner or later .

Not only userbase decides where development goes .If that were the case there wouldnt be ever any new generation because the new machines when launched (and along their first year usually ) get outsold by they older siblings .There are far more PC enabled to run games optimized for graphics cards along the 6800 models that after the 8800 .But ,this industry moves on technology and the new developments will be for PS3 and X360 ,thats where the fresh money will go .Wii will have its fun minigames ,gimmicky sports games and the likes along the Nintendo franchises and that will be all.Oh ,and quick cash-ins and shovelware of course ,its speciality .Thats pretty clear .

Bingo.

You two absolutely cannot be serious... If you are, then you two are as big a problem for the video gaming world as those casuals that you are so offended by.

Have either of you seen the list of RPG games coming to Nintendo's newest console? I am pretty sure there is a little more than, "fun minigames, gimmicky sports games, quick cash-ins, and shovelware" to talk about. And since it seems to have those games and still be murdering your precious favorite consoles, what is going to happen when Tales and the like start hitting?

On topic, Sony will outsell Microsoft worldwide because Microsoft has absolutely no market in Japan where Sony has at least a little penetration in America. Sorry to Microsoft fan...

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

cdude1034 said:
X-Man said:
fkusumot said:
X-Man said:

My conclusion is based on logic, not a source. Sony have sold around 1.8 billion units of software with the PS1 and PS2. You do the math.

Nope. You can't do this. You can't talk about this generation, make a statement you can't backup, and then cite software sales from the last TWO generations as a reason why the PS3 isn't losing money.

The bottom line is, for every PS3 Sony sells, they lose money. The exact amount isn't certain, but they certainly aren't posting any profits. Early estimates put the losses at a little over $200, and even if Sony has closed that gap to under $50, if you say they lost an average of say ~$75 per console (VERY conservative), they have (8.5 mil * $75) to make up, and software sales this gen just aren't there yet.

It's true that the PS1 was successful, and the PS2 printed money, but both have NOTHING to do with the PS3 losing money this gen.

Your conclusion is based on "fuzzy logic". Good luck with that one .

Edited for spelling. 

When did I say the PS3 isn't losing money? I said the Playstation brand has made money. I think you should re-read the thread.