By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game -- Super Mario Galaxy 2!

It's the perfect 3d platformer IMHO. excellent level design (better than the already excellent galaxy 1), best graphics and sound on wii. huge longevity.

i won't rate it 10 because that score is reserved only for chrono trigger and Sin & punishment 2, and i won't rate it 9.9 because i reckon it lacks the revolutionary impact of mario 64, but there's not much else to say.

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

Around the Network

The problem with allowing low scores is that, essentially, it just makes this competition show one thing: how many people disliked the game.

Practically all the games in the competition average over 8.0, with the majority averaging over 8.5, and a large chunk averaging over 9. An 8 is practically a "I bought this game and I liked it" in terms of this competition.

Allowing very low scores causes a problem. If someone absolutely loves the game, and think it's the best game of the generation, they might give it 9.5, or 9.7. Someone who dislikes it can give it 5.2, or 3.4, or some other very low score. Now, why is that a problem?

If you say that 8.0 is the average (it seems to be), then a person who loves it can say that it's up to 2 points bette than average, whereas a person who dislikes it can say that it's up to 8 points worse than the average. In essence, you now have a ruined competition.

To make an example: Uncharted 2 had around 30 votes for it, and got an average of 9.55. Now, say that some random person entered and gave it a 3.0. It now has an average of 9.33.

A single vote can have a huge negative impact, but barely any positive impact. Another perfect 10 would just bump the average up to 9.36.

Essentially, your allowal of low scores has made the game useless for comparisons, all it shows is which games had a few people give it a rubbish score.

Now, if you had either forced 6-10, removed the top 10% and bottom 10%, or used the median, you would have had a somewhat viable comparison, instead of what it is now.

Never, in the history of Mario games have I been less blown away by a Mario game.

• Super Mario Bros.: Instant classic and the best game ever, at the time of its release.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2: Took everything in a whole new direction with more characters, different gameplay, more secrets, etc.
  • Super Mario Bros. 3:  A return to form with more content and fun than any of us deserved.  We should have been forced to kiss Miyamoto's feet just to see this game.  Instead, they put it in the movie, "The Wizard (now available on Netflix Instant Streaming!).
  • Super Mario World:  Introduced us to a whole new console with a huge world, flawless gameplay, amazing graphics and music.
  • Yoshi's Island: Offered brand new gameplay, graphics technology, and innovations.  A more unique and better game than any of us expected.
  • Super Mario 64:  Hailed as the greatest game of all time when it released in '96.  3D platforming finally done right.
  • Super Mario Sunshine:  Not quite as fresh as SMB64 but very beautiful to look at and a ton of fun.  An underappreciated gem of a game.
  • New Super Mario Bros.:  A return to the 2D Mario that many of us grew up with.  Old school greatness evolved.
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii: Four player 2D madness on a console.  A first for the series.
  • Super Mario Galaxy: An amazing blast of freshness, creativity, beautiful graphics, and wonder.  A fountain of youth on a disc.  Made grown men feel like kids again.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2:  Super Mario Galaxy 1 with a lizard.

Maybe not Super Mario Galaxy 1 with a lizard tossed in, but definitely not the new and fresh gameplay that we Mario fans have been spoiled with over the decades.  It offered a few new innovations but in the end, it just felt like more of the same.  Then again, more of the same of a great game is a good thing.  I'll just say that if Mario Galaxy 1 didn't exist, I'd give SMG2 a 10/10.  Since Mario Galaxy 1 does exist, SMG2 deserves a 9/10.  I'll admit, on its own, the game is fucking fun (if not a bit harder than it needed to be).  I'll be nice this time.

9.5/10

If my calculations are correct the 5.2 changes the overall score from 9.50 to 9.31

wow such a big deal

RolStoppable said:
non-gravity said:

If my calculations are correct the 5.2 changes the overall score from 9.50 to 9.31

wow such a big deal

...and that coming from the guy who complained that Wii exclusive games get away with scores of 9 and up too often.

But yeah, in the end it doesn't make much of a difference, so I think nobody will take issue if Marco's score is excluded from the average.

I have issues.

I won't have issues if all other unfair scores are excluded from previous games though.

Around the Network
non-gravity said:

wow such a big deal

It would be an issue if someone did the same for UC2. It goes from the best game by a mile to the second best game in the competition, due to one cruel vote. Should that be allowed? That's the question.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Marco said:

5,2 points

good is:

its mario ^^

Yoshi & Luigi playable : )

soundtrack

funny dialogues, but..

- ..very weak story

- graphics is a little bit disappointing

- gameplay is too easy

- level bosses boring

Nintendo once again staged a good Jump'n Run, but it lacks the challenges and hardly any development visible. Part 3 will hopefully be a worthy successor to Part 1

i like your review, its good to be critical

=P

Conegamer said:

Well yeah, I agree, but a score so low when all the other scores are so high obviously shows sabotage to me, or an anomolus result. Either way, it should be removed

I'd say this for any game BTW. Not just this one.

Or maybe, just maybe, he just doesn't like the game. It's not an irreproachable angel from the heavens, y'know. Though I will concede that he should elaborate a little.

And I didn't see you complaining when Doobie_Wop and Mirson gave Red Dead Redemption a 3 and a 2, when virtually everyone else was giving scores in the 8-9 range.

I would just warn the guy to stop giving such trollish scores.

I wouldn't remove a review or a score because that would make you look biased, even if he is intentionally sabotaging the score of the game.

hey Killzone should have recieved a much much higher score, yo-john, remove all negative score from Killzone 3.

:/sarcasm