By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaked specifications list for the Project Cafe

Xen said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Xen said:

50/50 chance of this being real. On one hand this is a hugeass jump from the PS3 (the GPU and CPU are damn powerful, also very much plausible), on the other... I'm having a hard time believing that Nintendo is gonna go that far for power. Is 3rd party support THAT impotant to you, Nintendo? What happened to making money?

Nintendo has plenty of money. I think future-proofing the Cafe is a good idea . . .

Nintendo fails to understand that it isn't lack of power that withdrew 3rd party devs from developing from them.... were N64 and GC not powerful? They very much were. Did they have premium 3rd party support? Not at all. Third party devs either dislike Nintendo or don't give a rats' ass about them. Same thing with the audience they're trying to capture here.

Also, nothing in computer hardware is truly futureproof, see the jumps being done in PC hardware on a yearly basis... and while it's true that they have lots of money, what's to stop them from making more? Oh, this.

True true I see what you're saying. It's been 3 console generations and 3rd parties have been mistreating Nintendo because the "cool" kids play with Xbox 360's and PS3's. But I don't think this is completely true. I do believe the cartridge format for the N64 was mostly an excuse by deleopers not to develop for the N64, so Idk what happened there . That generation is more hard to decipher. The Gamecube's problem was its image. Wii's problem was it's "lack of power". They all sound like excuses to me but at the same time this prevented the 3rd parties from coming therefore Nintendo apparently did something to their systems to make them "that way"? I don't know.

BUT Cafe can change that, I believe. Cafe will be the first out this gen, and will most likely be more powerful than PS3. It has to be more powerful there's no excuse PS3 is 2006 technology "technically". Cafe is Nintendo's "HD" outing. Nintendo is going to apparently change their image. Its not going to be Gamecube. It won't focus on motion controls (I think). It will be new and fresh, and hopefully just as 3rd parties are making 3DS games, they will treat Cafe the same . . .

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
theARTIST0017 said:
Xen said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Xen said:

50/50 chance of this being real. On one hand this is a hugeass jump from the PS3 (the GPU and CPU are damn powerful, also very much plausible), on the other... I'm having a hard time believing that Nintendo is gonna go that far for power. Is 3rd party support THAT impotant to you, Nintendo? What happened to making money?

Nintendo has plenty of money. I think future-proofing the Cafe is a good idea . . .

Nintendo fails to understand that it isn't lack of power that withdrew 3rd party devs from developing from them.... were N64 and GC not powerful? They very much were. Did they have premium 3rd party support? Not at all. Third party devs either dislike Nintendo or don't give a rats' ass about them. Same thing with the audience they're trying to capture here.

Also, nothing in computer hardware is truly futureproof, see the jumps being done in PC hardware on a yearly basis... and while it's true that they have lots of money, what's to stop them from making more? Oh, this.

True true I see what you're saying. It's been 3 console generations and 3rd parties have been mistreating Nintendo because the "cool" kids play with Xbox 360's and PS3's. But I don't think this is completely true. I do believe the cartridge format for the N64 was mostly an excuse by deleopers not to develop for the N64, so Idk what happened there . That generation is more hard to decipher. The Gamecube's problem was its image. Wii's problem was it's "lack of power". They all sound like excuses to me but at the same time this prevented the 3rd parties from coming therefore Nintendo apparently did something to their systems to make them "that way"? I don't know.

BUT Cafe can change that, I believe. Cafe will be the first out this gen, and will most likely be more powerful than PS3. It has to be more powerful there's no excuse PS3 is 2006 technology "technically". Cafe is Nintendo's "HD" outing. Nintendo is going to apparently change their image. Its not going to be Gamecube. It won't focus on motion controls (I think). It will be new and fresh, and hopefully just as 3rd parties are making 3DS games, they will treat Cafe the same . . .

It better change that... it better. But as stupid and shallow as this sounds, Nintendo will have to add more brown and gray to their mix for this to work in any way. Nintendo consoles have had the kiddy image ever since SEGA started honing it... and it won't be easy to turn around. Frankly, I give it a 30 to 70 chance to succeed.

Xen said:

That's not very far at all, actually.   The BOM would probably come about to $250.  None of those parts are top of the line even today (except the Blu-ray drive).

I'll put it this way.  It would be hard for Nintendo to try to make a console that wasn't atleast as powerful as the PS3/X360.  To get back down to that lower level of performance, Nintendo would have to contract out vendors to produce components they no longer even manufacture which would make them just as expensive as the parts listed here.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Xen said:

That's not very far at all, actually.   The BOM would probably come about to $250.  None of those parts are top of the line even today (except the Blu-ray drive).

I'll put it this way.  It would be hard for Nintendo to try to make a console that wasn't atleast as powerful as the PS3/X360.  To get back down to that lower level of performance, Nintendo would have to contract out vendors to produce components they no longer even manufacture which would make them just as expensive as the parts listed here.

^ This is spot on.

Take a look at a GPU performance ranking like this one.

The PS3 and 360's graphics cards are at Nvidia 7800 and Radeon X1900 XT level which you can't find for sale anywhere. Much above those cards, you can find cards which are extremely cheap these days, let alone in a year when Nintendo launches Cafe...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Xen said:

It better change that... it better. But as stupid and shallow as this sounds, Nintendo will have to add more brown and gray to their mix for this to work in any way. Nintendo consoles have had the kiddy image ever since SEGA started honing it... and it won't be easy to turn around. Frankly, I give it a 30 to 70 chance to succeed.

yes. no more names like "Wii". that helped to spread the "kiddy" generalization. Cafe sounds cool. But seeing how it won't be that I wonder . . . UGH cna't E3 cant be tomorrow?!!!

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
theARTIST0017 said:
Xen said:

yes. no more names like "Wii". that helped to spread the "kiddy" generalization. Cafe sounds cool. But seeing how it won't be that I wonder . . . UGH cna't E3 cant be tomorrow?!!!

So, to dispell that, we'll call it Super Cool and Bloody Entertainment Hub of Doom.

Viper1 said:
Xen said:

Even the Blu-Ray drive isn't remarkable today ...

Blu-Ray drives aren't that expensive (about $100 at retail for both readers and burners) and one of the main things keeping the price up is lower volume; because most people don't see value in a Blu-Ray drive on their computer. I wouldn't be that surprised if Nintendo could get a Blu-Ray drive for $20 to $25 for their system, or possibly $35 if they used a lap-top Blu-Ray drive to decrease the size of their console.

With that said, while I think that these specs are entirely reasonable I still think it is likely that they're fake; and I think the person who is making this up is just better than most at fabricating specifications.

$30, easily.  You can catch a drive for sale on Newegg every now and then for $50.  Easily $30 at volume vendor pricing.  I wasn't saying it was a price problem, just noting it was one of the only things considered top of the line in the respective category in the rumor list.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

theARTIST0017 said:

I think this time it's gonna have more to do with the fact that games are so expensive to make these days, they're probably going to want another similar platform to make ports for

Hasn't Ubisoft stated  that they can baiscally port over a Xbox or PS3 title over to the new console?