By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaked specifications list for the Project Cafe

Monteblanco said:

It is probably a fake but, unlike others, I don't think the Blu-Ray is too far fetched. I don't think Nintendo have a problem throwing some money to the Blu-Ray disc association, even if that means giving Sony some of it. I find less likely is the inclusion of a hard drive. I don't think Nintendo want to confuse its customers by releasing different SKU year after year. I could even go with the possibility of attaching a hard drive as an accessory but not one built in.

When it comes to internal storage, I think Nintendo had the right basic idea with the Wii but they need to improve the implementation ...

Nintendo could (probably) put 32GB or 64GB of flash memory into this system without it being too expensive (depending on when it is released) and then offer a couple of SD card slots to allow people to expand their system's storage capacity as they deem fit. While 32GB is not that much space, I suspect that over 50% of users wouldn't every come close to running out of space; and few people would ever need to add (much) more than an additional 32GB SD card to their system.

Around the Network

I agree with Happy Squirriel.  Though if they did intend to include a magnetic HDD, vendor pricing for a 1 TB HDD is probably near $40.   No point in using anything less than 500 GB as the platter density and bulk manufacturing mean it costs about the same price to sell a 500 GB HDD as it does a 250 GB HDD.   And the 1 TB drives wouldn't cost much more themselves.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Xen said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Xen said:

50/50 chance of this being real. On one hand this is a hugeass jump from the PS3 (the GPU and CPU are damn powerful, also very much plausible), on the other... I'm having a hard time believing that Nintendo is gonna go that far for power. Is 3rd party support THAT impotant to you, Nintendo? What happened to making money?

Nintendo has plenty of money. I think future-proofing the Cafe is a good idea . . .

Nintendo fails to understand that it isn't lack of power that withdrew 3rd party devs from developing from them.... were N64 and GC not powerful? They very much were. Did they have premium 3rd party support? Not at all. Third party devs either dislike Nintendo or don't give a rats' ass about them. Same thing with the audience they're trying to capture here.

That wasn't really the case. Don't forget, SNES had loads of third party support just a year before N64 came out.

N64 lost it's third party support because it was behind technologically in one very important aspect: media. It used expensive, low capacity carts, that made since from a hardware maker's standpoint, but from a publisher's or developers standpoint, meant that any game they made had to be made under the constraints of a cartridge, and would cost far more to produce and sell then a CD. Graphical power may not have been a problem, but their backwards use of carts as the storage medium certainly was. N64 was where it all went wrong for Nintendo. They lost much of their fanbase to the Playstation and basically became the "other" console, a legacy that more or less doomed the Gamecube to being the exact same thing.

Compared to it's predecessors, Wii has gotten loads of third party support, and the most exclusives since at least the SNES. Of course, many of these games were crap, but nevertheless the third party support was there. Main thing that held the Wii back fromm getting the same third party support as it's contemporaries was it's hardware constraints. If Nintendo is able to produce a console in the same ballpark as PS4 and Xbox Next, I see no reason why they won't get ports of every major third party release.

the only way to know for sure is just to wait a week... Let's not get our hopes up.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mysticwolf said:

the only way to know for sure is just to wait a week... Let's not get our hopes up.

We will probably not know in a week either. Nintendo did not release Wii's technical specs as far as I remember.

However, we will probably be able to see videos of actual games being played which might give an idea of the hardware power.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
mysticwolf said:

We will probably not know in a week either. Nintendo did not release Wii's technical specs as far as I remember.

However, we will probably be able to see videos of actual games being played which might give an idea of the hardware power.

yeah i thought about that after i posted...

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

NJ5 said:
mysticwolf said:

And even then we wouldn't know cause we don't know what PS4/720 graphics would look like, but at least we can contrast the difference in power between Cafe and PS3 to get an idea . . .

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

It was very plausible until the display part. Why would Nintendo need those outputs for? Surely an HDMI and the usual propietary connector that supports a vast array of connections, like the xbox360 is more probable.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

It was very plausible until the display part. Why would Nintendo need those outputs for? Surely an HDMI and the usual propietary connector that supports a vast array of connections, like the xbox360 is more probable.

Maybe because it's a dev kit...??

JEMC said:

It is likely that the listing is covering regional connector types as well.  SCART is hihgly popular in Europe and D-Terminal is popular in Japan.

The rEVOLution is not being televised