By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: Sony working with IBM in new Cell processor

Rainbird said:
NJ5 said:
Xen said:

Pointless.

The limiter in current gen consoles and modern PC's is the GPU. It's very rarely the CPU. They better partner up with AMD and get a smokin' new GPU first.

It's not entirely pointless, it has the benefit of easy backwards compatibility...

Other than that it's pretty dumb to continue using the Cell IMO. Unless Sony truly wants to make life hard for developers as they once claimed...

Developers are getting more and more used to it, so I doubt it's a development disaster of any kind. Especially not if it means that development tools can be carried over to the PS4.

We don't know what Sony's plans are though, so I think it's too early to call it a dumb move.

More used to it, yes. Some existing tools may help, but in the end many developers will still have to do extra effort to program for the "odd platform".

I'm ASSuming here that Microsoft's and Nintendo's new console will have more sensible CPUs with few, symmetric and fast cores. Add to that PCs, and you have three platforms which should be rather easy to port between, and then the PS4 which will require extra effort if the Cell is used.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Sony want´s to keep the current architecture on PS4, doing an upgrade on the hardware side, but keeping the development framework, ALSO, this new cell processor is able to transform new 3D tv´s and notebooks in a new level...

Sony is right, don´t need to create something new, just update current platform to a new level.

I think PS4 will be 4 times faster than PS3, regarding that each cell processor has doubled the power and they can put together 16 processors... LOL... too much... 

Well remebered about the video card, they don´t have technology for that and there´s no eazy decisiom about that..

goo sony... gooo!

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

kibebr said:

ALSO, this new cell processor is able to transform new 3D tv´s and notebooks in a new level...

I don't know if the Cell is used on 3D TVs or not, though I doubt it.

Notebooks, that's just not gonna happen, at least not for any mass market stuff. Notebooks are all about low power consumption, the Cell is not optimized for that.

NJ5 said:

More used to it, yes. Some existing tools may help, but in the end many developers will still have to do extra effort to program for the "odd platform".

I'm ASSuming here that Microsoft's and Nintendo's new console will have more sensible CPUs with few, symmetric and fast cores. Add to that PCs, and you have three platforms which should be rather easy to port between, and then the PS4 which will require extra effort if the Cell is used.

Even if Microsoft and Nintendo have more sensible CPU designs, Nintendo seems to be going for a platform that might be underpowered compared to Sony and Microsoft's next platforms. And unless we know how Sony will handle this new Cell, it's hard to know if it will be easy to use or not.

If there's anything the NGP is showing, it's that Sony are focusing on being development friendly. So for all we know, Sony will provide the tools to easily use the Cell.

EDIT: And Toshiba have used the Cell in some of their 3D TVs.

Rainbird said:
NJ5 said:

Even if Microsoft and Nintendo have more sensible CPU designs, Nintendo seems to be going for a platform that might be underpowered compared to Sony and Microsoft's next platforms. And unless we know how Sony will handle this new Cell, it's hard to know if it will be easy to use or not.

If there's anything the NGP is showing, it's that Sony are focusing on being development friendly. So for all we know, Sony will provide the tools to easily use the Cell.

EDIT: And Toshiba have used the Cell in some of their 3D TVs.

I thought the current rumors were that Nintendo was going for quite powerful, at least decently powerful hardware by today's standards.

We know that Sony or Microsoft won't make another $600 console, so even with an alleged launch date one year later that Nintendo, I don't see them making systems much more powerful than Nintendo's. More powerful, yes, but in the sense that games will enable some extra effects or run at slightly higher resolutions. But that doesn't make a port hard, it's just simple tweaking to adapt for each hardware as all PC games already do.

What Sony could do to make the Cell easier to use would be to provide more PPU cores which are easier to port for than the SPUs. But if they did that I doubt they could put 16 SPUs in it, and it would be a departure from what the Cell is supposed to be all about.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

I thought the current rumors were that Nintendo was going for quite powerful, at least decently powerful hardware by today's standards.

We know that Sony or Microsoft won't make another $600 console, so even with an alleged launch date one year later that Nintendo, I don't see them making systems much more powerful than Nintendo's. More powerful, yes, but in the sense that games will enable some extra effects or run at slightly higher resolutions. But that doesn't make a port hard, it's just simple tweaking to adapt for each hardware as all PC games already do.

What Sony could do to make the Cell easier to use would be to provide more PPU cores which are easier to port for than the SPUs. But if they did that I doubt they could put 16 SPUs in it, and it would be a departure from what the Cell is supposed to be all about.

My interpretation of the Café rumors are that Nintendo is going for something slightly more powerful than what we have today with the PS360. My guess is that Microsoft and Sony will create hardware powerful enough to the point were porting to Café will require some reeengineering, maybe in the same degree that porting between the PS3 and 360 does today.

Not to mention that we don't know what other alterations might be made to the Cell. Sony are taking input from their developers on how to make their platforms easier to program for, and if it becomes easier to program for, then it becomes easier to port games to and from it. And studios like Criterion Games already makes PS3/360/PC games where a lot of the code is the same on all three platforms.

I'm not saying you might not have a point, I'm just saying that it might turn out not to be a problem at all. It just depends on a lot of things, and we have absolutely no knowledge about any of them. Even this is just a big, fat rumor.

NJ5 said:
Rainbird said:
NJ5 said:
Xen said:

Pointless.

The limiter in current gen consoles and modern PC's is the GPU. It's very rarely the CPU. They better partner up with AMD and get a smokin' new GPU first.

It's not entirely pointless, it has the benefit of easy backwards compatibility...

Other than that it's pretty dumb to continue using the Cell IMO. Unless Sony truly wants to make life hard for developers as they once claimed...

Developers are getting more and more used to it, so I doubt it's a development disaster of any kind. Especially not if it means that development tools can be carried over to the PS4.

We don't know what Sony's plans are though, so I think it's too early to call it a dumb move.

There is an outside chance that Microsoft or Nintendo could make an "odd" platform by adding a physics processing unit, but the challenge of programming for that would (likely) only impact middleware developers; and, being that the processor would be suited to the task of creating a physics engine, it might not be that unusual for what they were using it for.

sergiodaly said:

two ps3 duct taped is pure genius... is going to be powerful enough and will be cheaper to build... just upgrade the GPU and put 8X the RAM ps3 had...

i was going to say something similar, they only need to tweak it here and there, increse ram and gpu

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Good decision I guess. Changing things every now and then shows your earlier decision was wrong. Keep on the same standard. We want some really fine exclusives which are not 'shared' with PC.

it's a good move. developers have already spent a lot effort to get used to CELL arch. It makes sense to continue using the same arch.