By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: Sony working with IBM in new Cell processor

It's basically 2 PS3s taped together.

Sony Banking On New Super Fast Cell Processor For PS4 & Bravia TV
By David Richards | Sunday | 29/05/2011

Sony, who announced a $3 Billion plus loss last, week is pinning their future on a brand new processor which some are speculating will lead to a new Playstation 4.

What we have been told is that Sony is working on a very fast processor which is being developed with IBM, who was the original architect with Sony and Toshiba of the Cell processor, which has been used by both Sony and Microsoft to power their gaming processors for nearly 10 years.

IBM sources claim that the new multi core PowerPC processor, which Big Blue, has spent several years developing is now part of a joint development project with the Japanese company.

Sony recently moved to buy back the Toshiba Cell factory in Nagasaki for $600 million with some tipping that this will be used to manufacture the processor for both Sony Toshiba and IBM devices.

The new 32nm Cell processor is tipped to be capable of up to 16 SPEs which is twice as fast as the current Cell processor according to IBM leaks.

Japanese sources claim that Sony is gearing up to manufacture the Cell processor in bulk with some analysts tipping that the new processor will also appear in Sony notebooks and built into new Sony Bravia TVs.

Intel sources have said that they are also working on a new processor that will be ideal for future gaming consoles as well as for use in devices that are both gaming console and media hubs.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/F5C6F8A6?page=1

Around the Network

With no Kutaragi, maybe we'll actually hear some more reasonable talk about this new processor and it's capabilities.  The original Emotion Engine and Cell talk still to this day makes me nauseous.

Darth Tigris said:

With no Kutaragi, maybe we'll actually hear some more reasonable talk about this new processor and it's capabilities.  The original Emotion Engine and Cell talk still to this day makes me nauseous.

lol, I agree...Some of his PS2/PS3 processor talk was batshit crazy.

Off topic - I for one can't wait for next gen to come along. I was playing the new Red Faction demo moments ago on my 1080p projector setup projecting to a 82 inch screen. The game looks butt ugly to be honest... Maybe on a 32 inch screen they can hide the jaggies and pixelation but its clear that the demo was well sub 720p. Reminds me of how I felt about PS2 when I got my first HDTV in 2005...the end is near, these consoles can't keep up anymore.

Damn 16 cores!!  What is Sony smoking? Wouldn't 12 cores be enough?

they still wanna use next cell on next playstation console even most developers don't really bother to use its potential...??

Around the Network

say good bye to developers.

HokageTenshi said:

they still wanna use next cell on next playstation console even most developers don't really bother to use its potential...??

Seems like they are committed to this tech, pretty much like Nintendo and Sillicon back in the day.

IamAwsome said:

Damn 16 cores!!  What is Sony smoking? Wouldn't 12 cores be enough?

4 cores is enough. I have yet to see any PC games which can scale really well to more than 4 cores.

I really don't know what next gen will be about but things like 3D gaming, 1080p@60 frames per secon, 3 monitor gaming...none of that needs a CPU with more than 4 cores.

It needs a GPU the size of a brick tho :)

Why would they do this? All that cell stuff barely made a difference in the end

MS used a regular processor (as in didn't develop one from scratch), and everything went fine

HokageTenshi said:

well depending on 3rd party devs to take full potential of a console is just not gonna work anymore, that's what the first parties are there for and sony has quite a strong first party now

Cell should be fine as devs are getting used to developing for it now, by next gen they should have at least a good understanding of it. However these are rumors, better to wait and see how it goes (2012 E3 reveal would be my guess)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!