By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: Sony working with IBM in new Cell processor

Baalzamon said:
Chroniczaaa said:

Jesus Christ Sony just stick a fucking i5 2500k in there and call it a day already.

That costs $200 by itself...

599 US dollars?

Jokes aside, by the time they start putting consoles together ready to be sold (2 or so years from now)  itll probably be $50

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

Around the Network
Chroniczaaa said:
Baalzamon said:
Chroniczaaa said:

Jesus Christ Sony just stick a fucking i5 2500k in there and call it a day already.

That costs $200 by itself...

599 US dollars?

Jokes aside, by the time they start putting consoles together ready to be sold (2 or so years from now)  itll probably be $50

putting a x86 architecture CPU on a console is like giving your self a shot in your foot... what did that to MACs? give people the chance to use other OS... and that in consoles only brings more problems than benefits... powerPC or some kind of own architecture is the way to go...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

go for it :D

padib said:

Isn't the GPU more important than the CPU for interactive video output? Why is the main attention being put on the CPU? (I'm just asking an honest question)

Not all the time. normally, yes. But in your everydays PS3, the Cell has to compensate and improve the GPU built in.

So with a new Cell, graphical enhancements may come as well. (Even if all that stuff may just become more and more complex. If the new Cell is the main part responsible for graphics, Porting to the PS4 will be.. *ugh*.. but exclusive games, built around that, will kick ass.)

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

alfredofroylan said:

The pic didn't load properly until quote reply box show up.

Around the Network

I can't help but think that it'd be a bitch to program for. How many threads of floating point number calculations are really needed?

Pointless.

The limiter in current gen consoles and modern PC's is the GPU. It's very rarely the CPU. They better partner up with AMD and get a smokin' new GPU first.

Well, makes sense for backwards compatibility and hopefully lowered costs as much of the basework has been done already. Developers are fairly used to the Cell by now, so it shouldn't be much of an issue in the development community, especially not if all their tools can carry over.

I hope Sony work on the bandwidth though. Memory and transfering of data is still the greatest bottleneck in computer hardware, and it's not better if you have to transfer between all the SPUs too. Sony should definitely try to create hardware that deals with memory management better, that would make me a happy software engineer.

Xen said:

Pointless.

The limiter in current gen consoles and modern PC's is the GPU. It's very rarely the CPU. They better partner up with AMD and get a smokin' new GPU first.

It's not entirely pointless, it has the benefit of easy backwards compatibility... (at least for the CPU code, not sure how GPU backwards compatibility will work out)

Other than that it's pretty dumb to continue using the Cell IMO. Unless Sony truly wants to make life hard for developers as they once claimed...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Xen said:

Pointless.

It's not entirely pointless, it has the benefit of easy backwards compatibility...

Other than that it's pretty dumb to continue using the Cell IMO. Unless Sony truly wants to make life hard for developers as they once claimed...

Developers are getting more and more used to it, so I doubt it's a development disaster of any kind. Especially not if it means that development tools can be carried over to the PS4.

We don't know what Sony's plans are though, so I think it's too early to call it a dumb move.