By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3: Sony 'Leaps And Bounds Ahead' Of Microsoft

But microsoft IPs sell millions more than Sony IPs...soooo whats the deal?

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

Around the Network
Roma said:

Yes I meant level 5

Well looking up Little big planet it also says that Sony is the developer :P

Well if you pay for exclusives your not creating them which was my point in my first post. Of course they own the IPs but they still bought them and they were not originally created by Sony

Now I am not saying Nintendo creates every exclusive IP that comes to their consoles but they sure have more in house developed games than what Sony has

I guess I would ask you what the difference is between Sony paying for exclusives and Nintendo hiring someone who then makes the exclusive.  Sony funded the IP and was instrumental in its being made, why is it that hiring a development team doesn't count towards creating something while Nintendo hiring Miyamoto does?  Miyamoto isn't the head of Nintendo, he was hired by them just as Media Molecule and Naughty Dog were hired by Sony.  If Miyamoto had already proven himself as a developer and had a team made up would he no longer count as being part of Nintendo?  Why is it hiring singular people makes them part of a company, but hiring groups does not?

My thoughts: you're making the rules so that Nintendo has an obvious and unending advantage because they started in the industry back when there really weren't established teams out there to hire, and since they hired singular people instead of established teams they are creating something while Sony is just funding something that would have been with or without them.  But who's to say that LittleBigPlanet or Wipeout would be what they are today without Sony's influence, or that Miyamoto never would have made Donkey Kong in his basement if he didn't work for Nintendo.  Heck, even Nintendo does the team hiring thing nowadays because that's how it's done, I'm sure they would have done the same if they could have back when it all got started.

xinstantnoodlez said:

But microsoft IPs sell millions more than Sony IPs...soooo whats the deal?

Torillian said:
Roma said:

Yes I meant level 5

Well looking up Little big planet it also says that Sony is the developer :P

Well if you pay for exclusives your not creating them which was my point in my first post. Of course they own the IPs but they still bought them and they were not originally created by Sony

Now I am not saying Nintendo creates every exclusive IP that comes to their consoles but they sure have more in house developed games than what Sony has

I guess I would ask you what the difference is between Sony paying for exclusives and Nintendo hiring someone who then makes the exclusive.  Sony funded the IP and was instrumental in its being made, why is it that hiring a development team doesn't count towards creating something while Nintendo hiring Miyamoto does?  Miyamoto isn't the head of Nintendo, he was hired by them just as Media Molecule and Naughty Dog were hired by Sony.  If Miyamoto had already proven himself as a developer and had a team made up would he no longer count as being part of Nintendo?  Why is it hiring singular people makes them part of a company, but hiring groups does not?

My thoughts: you're making the rules so that Nintendo has an obvious and unending advantage because they started in the industry back when there really weren't established teams out there to hire, and since they hired singular people instead of established teams they are creating something while Sony is just funding something that would have been with or without them.  But who's to say that LittleBigPlanet or Wipeout would be what they are today without Sony's influence, or that Miyamoto never would have made Donkey Kong in his basement if he didn't work for Nintendo.  Heck, even Nintendo does the team hiring thing nowadays because that's how it's done, I'm sure they would have done the same if they could have back when it all got started.

My post was in response to what Xen said before that Nintendo barely make any new IPs (not counting those they bought exclusive rights for). Well buying new IPs is not making them yourself and that is my point which I point out for the second time now.

Of course there is a difference when you go out to hire teams to make a game that might already be in development but sought a publisher and Sony showed interest in the games or maybe they had the idea and paid a developer to make it.

Who said anything about Miyamoto being the head of Nintendo?

Yes companies hire people to build teams that make games :P

No I am not making rules to make Nintendo seem like the winner here. Buying new companies or exclusive rights to a game is different than making the game yourself. A company that buys other developers is either out of ideas themselves or really like what they see in a game owned by another developer.

Shadow of the colossus and Ico are great games made in house or that is what I think anyway.

Anywho

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:

No I am not making rules to make Nintendo seem like the winner here. Buying new companies or exclusive rights to a game is different than making the game yourself. A company that buys other developers is either out of ideas themselves or really like what they see in a game owned by another developer.

How is it different?  Can you prove to me that the game would have been the same without the involvement of the publisher?  Can you prove that the people working at Nintendo wouldn't have made the same game if they didn't work there?

From a financial and business aspect there's a difference and it's clearly better to fund teams in house, but from the aspect of creative merit there really is no difference.  Nintendo either gives Miyamoto a sallary or they buy a development team like Retro Studios.  The end result is a game that would not have existed without them and the merit is the same.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Roma said:

How is it different?  Can you prove to me that the game would have been the same without the involvement of the publisher?  Can you prove that the people working at Nintendo wouldn't have made the same game if they didn't work there?

From a financial and business aspect there's a difference and it's clearly better to fund teams in house, but from the aspect of creative merit there really is no difference.  Nintendo either gives Miyamoto a sallary or they buy a development team like Retro Studios.  The end result is a game that would not have existed without them and the merit is the same.

You mean to say that every publisher is involved in the games they publish? Seriously? You mean Sega decides how Conduit should be like? You mean they sent one of their guys to check how the game is being made?

No it is not always like that there is a difference when a developer makes a game and needs a publisher. Some games are complete and then they seek out publishers. Little big planet creator were bought up after they had a game they could show lol   

Well sure a game could be made even though a company did not hire or buy the guys/developer… that’s how many of the games Sony owns today came to existence :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:
Torillian said:
Roma said:

You mean to say that every publisher is involved in the games they publish? Seriously? You mean Sega decides how Conduit should be like? You mean they sent one of their guys to check how the game is being made?

No it is not always like that there is a difference when a developer makes a game and needs a publisher. Some games are complete and then they seek out publishers. Little big planet creator were bought up after they had a game they could show lol   

Well sure a game could be made even though a company did not hire or buy the guys/developer… that’s how many of the games Sony owns today came to existence :P

They had something to show, but it certainly wasn't what they came out with.  I'm sure Miyamoto had something to show the company before they greenlit anything too, it's how it works.  And no Sega doesn't decide how Conduit should be like but Sega doesn't own the IP either.  If you actually own the IP then damn straight you'll have influence over how the game is developed.  

Media Molecule was bought up after they made a game for Sony whose IP Sony owns.  If they were bought up to continue making Ragdoll Kung Fu I could see your point, but without Sony LBP wouldn't exist and it is just as much a Sony IP as anything made by Miyamoto is for Nintendo. 

Which games, which games were made by companies Sony hired and would have been the same without them?  And for the last time, why is there more merit in hiring a staff than hiring a development team?  Sony made those IP's just the same way Nintendo makes theirs, makes no difference if the games were "in-house"or not they were still games made that would not exist in their current state without that company.

IamAwsome said:
Ail said:

Nintendo franchise sell better but they do not cover as many gaming genres.

Aside from the titles with Wii in their names Nintendo has failed to develop new IP this gen too, they made nice improvement on old recipes but have failed to come up with new ones...( and the issue with the Wii games is aside from the Nintendo name on the box they are not really IP you can copyright which has led to a drove of copies ( heck even Move Sport Champions and Kinect adventures are just copies).)

Sony lost many third party exclusives but did a very nice job developing successfull new IPs covering a wide range of genres ( Uncharted, LBP, Heavy Rain, ResistanceFoM to name a few).

Microsoft has a few IPs that are very successfull, the issue is that they cater mostly to the same crowd.( and CoD success has made it so that the fact that Sony not having a big FPS isn't that much an issue).

While I do agree that Nintendo needs to make some new IPs, I don't agree that Sony's IPs cover more gaming genres. The only genre that Sony has that Nintendo doesn't have is FPS, and Sports sims. Nintendo has several genres that Sony doesn't have like fighting games, RTS, and RPGs. I think that overall, Nintendo's games cover more genres then Sony's games.

lol what the hell are you talking about where on the wii can i get a racing sim like gt 5, a mmorpg like dc universe online, motion cam games like eyepet etc?

"Sony doesn't have like fighting games, RTS, and RPGs"

fighting ( what fighting games does nintendo produce on wii btw smash? ) - can't think of any

rts ( what rts games are produced by nintendo on the wii? ) - can't think of any

rpgs - demon's souls and white night chronicles

SONY press conference: Half Life 3 announcment == WIN

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Sony has always been the console for people who like variety.  The Xbox is a very US-centric system, so Western RPG's, Shooters, and Racers there, Wii focuses on platformers and all ages games.  Playstation doesn't have a niche, which is both it's greatest weakness and it's best quality.  It's got racers, action games, adventure games, platformers, shooters, puzzle games, you name a genre is has some exclusives.  hell, I still think that Killzone is a better FPS than Halo, but that'll only result in anger.  Look at it this way: 

Action - Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Heavenly Sword
Adventure - Uncharted, inFamous
Racing - Gran Turismo, ModNation Racers, Motorstorm
Platformers - Ratchet and Clank, LittleBigPlanet
Shooters - Resistance, Killzone, MAG
Sports - MLB: The Show
RPG - Final Fantasy vsXIII, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game HEroes (shuddap, that game ruled!) 

So yeah, the console has a wide variety of games.  Wii has their staples:  Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Wii titles, Epic Mickey, Smash Brothers, etc, but nothing else of value really.  No Pokemon, no great Third Party games other than No More HEroes or MadWorld (is that third party?) 

Xbox 360 is also pretty much geared towards a certain crowd.  Halo series, Gears of War series, LEft 4 Dead series (if you don't include PC), Fable, Mass Effect (1, anyway), Viva Pinata, Project Gotham, Forza....that's a whole lot of shooters, some western RPG's, Racing games, and whatever Viva Pinata is.  Most of which are also on PC (I like to not include PC becuase it makes 360 look even worse if that's factored into the argument.)  

All systems have their good games, which is why fanboys are so frustrating, it just happens to be that Nintendo and Microsoft have each cornered their respective market and showered them with advertising, so their sales are through the Roof.  sony has the best variety and quality in its exclusives, but are very passive in their marketing, so people don't buy them as much.  a shame, too, becuase I happen to think that quality should speak for itself. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android