By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 may never catchup to the 360

@madskillz

You do realize communicating with a Sony fanatic is like discussing relativity with the mentally retarded. They apply no logical reasoning to their arguments, and instead invoke the magic power of a word. The way ancient Egyptians scrolled curses on their tomb walls. Thats what they mean when they say brand loyalty. They think it means there are over a hundred million loyal slaves waiting to purchase the PS3 at any instant if they could only afford it. So it is written so it must be.

I too await the sales in a few weeks. Once four hundred dollar purchases once again become expensive purchases. Any guesses as to whom price consciousness hurts the most. The return of normal weekly sales highlighting just how long a overtake would actually take. Finally I want to see the effects to the delay station on gamer purchases.

The Sony fanatics overcompensated through the holiday season, and a bitter January and February are on the way. Chances are Wii sales will still rocket, and the 360 will do better percentage wise just on price. Especially since its strongest market is the strongest market by volume. The only question is this will they crawl back under their stones when things begin to get a little rough. The next few months are going to be rough for Sony. No real exclusive third party content, and their console still costs more.

Around the Network

Ok - I am not a Sony Fanboy (notice the name) but I think it is clear that the Ps3 will easily pass the 360 in sales but prob not in 2008. Idc about what 360 has for software next year but the Ps3's lineup will crush (GTA, MGS4, GT5, etc). 360 should be prepared for 3rd place soon....

Dodece said:
@madskillz

You do realize communicating with a Sony fanatic is like discussing relativity with the mentally retarded. They apply no logical reasoning to their arguments, and instead invoke the magic power of a word. The way ancient Egyptians scrolled curses on their tomb walls. Thats what they mean when they say brand loyalty. They think it means there are over a hundred million loyal slaves waiting to purchase the PS3 at any instant if they could only afford it. So it is written so it must be.

I too await the sales in a few weeks. Once four hundred dollar purchases once again become expensive purchases. Any guesses as to whom price consciousness hurts the most. The return of normal weekly sales highlighting just how long a overtake would actually take. Finally I want to see the effects to the delay station on gamer purchases.

The Sony fanatics overcompensated through the holiday season, and a bitter January and February are on the way. Chances are Wii sales will still rocket, and the 360 will do better percentage wise just on price. Especially since its strongest market is the strongest market by volume. The only question is this will they crawl back under their stones when things begin to get a little rough. The next few months are going to be rough for Sony. No real exclusive third party content, and their console still costs more.

Your entire post reeks of bias and "fanboyism", I really enjoy the part about you discussing a Sony fany's "logic" to arguments, when a 360 supporter bought a console with a stated 33% failure rate, no reliance on hard-drive support, no wifi or high def player from the get-go, and it's only major function is to "play games" in which Microsoft HUMBLY charges you a mere $60 a year to "play games" with other people (which was it's original strong point no?) >_>; I honest to god can't find any pro's in supporting the damn thing. Funny how that "logic" works though. 

Well both consoles will take quite a hit after the holidays, but I love how you forget to realize that the prices will probably remain the same as they were comming into the holiday season. So let's all assume that the PS3 only took a "boost" from holiday season, in which the cheapest PS3 was $400 and the cheapest 360 was $250? Does that mean that at those price points more people wanted the PS3 in time for Christmas? What honestly makes you think they'll want it less than the 360 AFTER christmas? They'll be at the same prices they were before >_> Now if a parent is only willing to spend $400 at christmas to get their kid what they acutually want, let's hope for your sake that all these people will "settle" for the cheaper 360 after the holidays.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Lafiel said:
@ madskillz )

the more you use the word "fanboy" ,"fanbot",... the less valid your opinion seems to me

I guess this post would matter if I really cared what folks thought. Didn't you recycle this from another thread, btw?

ChronotriggerJM said:
Dodece said:
@madskillz

Your entire post reeks of bias and "fanboyism", I really enjoy the part about you discussing a Sony fany's "logic" to arguments, when a 360 supporter bought a console with a stated 33% failure rate, no reliance on hard-drive support, no wifi or high def player from the get-go, and it's only major function is to "play games" in which Microsoft HUMBLY charges you a mere $60 a year to "play games" with other people (which was it's original strong point no?) >_>; I honest to god can't find any pro's in supporting the damn thing. Funny how that "logic" works though.

Well both consoles will take quite a hit after the holidays, but I love how you forget to realize that the prices will probably remain the same as they were comming into the holiday season. So let's all assume that the PS3 only took a "boost" from holiday season, in which the cheapest PS3 was $400 and the cheapest 360 was $250? Does that mean that at those price points more people wanted the PS3 in time for Christmas? What honestly makes you think they'll want it less than the 360 AFTER christmas? They'll be at the same prices they were before >_> Now if a parent is only willing to spend $400 at christmas to get their kid what they acutually want, let's hope for your sake that all these people will "settle" for the cheaper 360 after the holidays.

@ Chrono - unfortunately, you have just proved Dodece's post correct. I am the kind of person that wants to game as cheaply as possible. When I bought the 360, the failure rate wasn't a huge story, the hard drive support didn't matter, I have a professional wired network and no need for wifi, and didn't want to be forced to choose a side in the HD battle until I was ready, not having a company tell me 'Buy our product and get into the fight.'

Sorry, but I have choices and would like to add on later, if the need arises. The rest of the argument about buying a 360 is written by someone with absolutely no - I repeat - no meaningful time spent on a 360. You don't need LIVE GOLD unless you want to play online and/or want demos and the like a week or two earlier.

As I stated earlier, you have to realize some folks can afford a PS3 - like me - but want choices. Don't tell me I will have to get Blu Ray when I like HD DVD movies. Don't tell me to take all these *features* that magically drive up the price of the unit. For me, give me a console that can play games - and without the bells and whistles. And guess what? I can get that with the basic 360 Arcade. And it has HDMI - and I can play 360 games! Give me a choice. The only PS3s I wanted were the 20gb or the 60gb. And even then, I would love to buy one without Blu Ray.

And folks aren't settling for a 360. You can get one, used, for $250. Guess what - for $150 more, you can get a PS3. If you don't think that will make a difference, you are dead wrong.

There's no need to argue. The next 2-3 months will prove our points.

As far as why anyone would support MS ... it's all about options. Say you wanna play "Mass Effect" but don't wanna spend $350 for an Xbox 360. Buy the arcade and the game - and you are under the $350 mark. And yes, it plays all the games. Is the wifi/card reader/HDMI outputs/HD player absolutely necessary to playing a game? I don't think so. And to have it rammed down our throats ... that further sours my affection toward Sony. They are still arrogant SOBs who don't know what humbleness is - but will learn it shortly.

MS is arrogant too, but they do listen to gamers a lot more than Sony in their ivory tower. Major Nelson keeps LIVE gamers and other gamers updated on current happenings. They are making an effort to listen to as many folks as possible.

I feel for you all buying the PS because of brand loyalty. What's next? Sony labeled a pile of chicken crap the PS5? Some clowns would buy it, show it off like a newborn and proudly shout 'That a look at my new pile of crap!'

Around the Network
madskillz said:

@ Chrono - unfortunately, you have just proved Dodece's post correct. I am the kind of person that wants to game as cheaply as possible. When I bought the 360, the failure rate wasn't a huge story, the hard drive support didn't matter, I have a professional wired network and no need for wifi, and didn't want to be forced to choose a side in the HD battle until I was ready, not having a company tell me 'Buy our product and get into the fight.'

Sorry, but I have choices and would like to add on later, if the need arises. The rest of the argument about buying a 360 is written by someone with absolutely no - I repeat - no meaningful time spent on a 360. You don't need LIVE GOLD unless you want to play online and/or want demos and the like a week or two earlier.

As I stated earlier, you have to realize some folks can afford a PS3 - like me - but want choices. Don't tell me I will have to get Blu Ray when I like HD DVD movies. Don't tell me to take all these *features* that magically drive up the price of the unit. For me, give me a console that can play games - and without the bells and whistles. And guess what? I can get that with the basic 360 Arcade. And it has HDMI - and I can play 360 games! Give me a choice. The only PS3s I wanted were the 20gb or the 60gb. And even then, I would love to buy one without Blu Ray.

And folks aren't settling for a 360. You can get one, used, for $250. Guess what - for $150 more, you can get a PS3. If you don't think that will make a difference, you are dead wrong.

There's no need to argue. The next 2-3 months will prove our points.

I'll respond to your other post in a few.

I actually understand where your comming from, I really do, and like you I never wanted to choose between an HD format war, however for only $100 dollars more, I got a gaming console and MUCH more. I understand people that can't afford too many consoles, or that wanted a high def machine early on. I'm not against purchasing a 360, just in terms of what you get for your money I just don't see it. When a "Sony fanboy" attempts to use logic in arguements we get acused of wearing the "sony shades" or drinking the Kool-aid :P 

And yeah, paying to play with people online sucks ass. Think of the people that really like the feature, but only occasionally play online, I don't game often, but if I have the choice between the same game on different consoles, I'll chose the one that doesn't make me pay to play with people.

I understand the Wifi bit, not everyone needs it. I however LOVE the fact that I can drag the PS3 up to my room (second story) and not have to worry about running wires of any sort, I can take it to my friends house and not worry about his setup, I love not being worried about length of wire. It's not a necesarry option by any means, but its a feature I'm sure many people will end up using.

The original Xbox had a hard-drive, it was the one thing that in my opinion separated the boys from the men. I was jealous of that feature, my PS2 couldent auto-save data and I was just in absolute awe that MS brought that to the console realm. When the 360 was released without one I just laughed, the abscense of that feature alone made me blow off the idea of even considering one.

And another thing about the Blu-ray vrs. Hd-DVD. I LOVE the fact that my PS3 came with a blu-ray player. I bought it for a game console (it's got some great games), and it has the ability to play high def movies from the get-go. Forget purchasing blu-rays if I don't think the format will win, Hello Blockbuster! My group of friends has rented so many blu-rays already it's not even funny. No major comitment, just pure enjoyment of high def movies without risking anything. Purchasing a separate player just isn't in my cards until a "winner" is choses. I can understand where your comming from on that. 

I understand reasons why people would purchase a 360 over a PS3, price is definately one of them. However with my train of thought I'm much bigger on "Value" than "Cost". I honestly can't justify putting down any ammount of money for a 360 when I have a PS3.  And in terms of "Value" I hate getting told that my "logic" is wrong. How the hell is wanting more for my money wrong logic o.O? In terms of value Microsoft simply doesn't deliver for me. 

Okay, I got an idea; try to guess the ACTUAL age of those who have posted in here! I say... 11! Or very close. Come on guys.

Mummelmann said:
Okay, I got an idea; try to guess the ACTUAL age of those who have posted in here! I say... 11! Or very close. Come on guys.

Ooooh Oooooh!!!! Do meee!!!!! Guess my age :3 NO LOOKING AT PROFILE ><

ChronotriggerJM said:
Mummelmann said:

Ooooh Oooooh!!!! Do meee!!!!! Guess my age :3 NO LOOKING AT PROFILE ><

59! Hah! See? Without so much as a glance! Your avatar is bald, so you must be. And bald men are either fascists or old. Seeing as fascists don't frequent Vgchartz I figured you were old. Good old logic, I should be a detective!

xD wtf, well hey with your mad detecting skills, do you think the PS3 will ever catchup to the 360?