By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will MHP3 HD remake for PS3 outsell MH3 for Wii (in Japan)?

Will MHP3 HD remake for PS3 outsell MH3 for Wii (in Japan)?

yes 152 51.70%

no 142 48.30%

Total:294
ninty_shareholder64 said:
Kasz216 said:

I think so. 

I mean, it won't be full price and it will have extras right?  Including HD graphics?

Every console MH has seen pretty good increases.

I mean... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't MH games mostly remakes anyway with just added content?

I always got that impression that it was kinda like they kept what they had then just added more stuff each time.

Why do you think so?

The answer is: you didn't even spent the time to check the sales of MH-psp-console-ports like MHG on Wii and PS2.

I already pointed to these sales. MHG sales on Wii: 230k, on PS2: 250k

So, imo, you should check the facts because without research your opinion is just a shot in the dark.

MHG was a straight port was it not?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

I think so. 

I mean, it won't be full price and it will have extras right?  Including HD graphics?

I mean... correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't MH games mostly remakes anyway with just added content?

I always got that impression that it was kinda like they kept what they had then just added more stuff each time.

Why do you think so?

The answer is: you didn't even spent the time to check the sales of MH-psp-console-ports like MHG on Wii and PS2.

So, imo, you should check the facts because without research your opinion is just a shot in the dark.

Actually, it's the other way around, PS2: 230k, Wii: 250k. It proves ports can outsell original titles when the platform is more appealing or when a series has grown in popularity.

ElGranCabeza said:

Read the thread again. You're gonna lose regardless though.

I don't need to read the thread again, I mocked you for saying it would do only 200k and you offered me a bet.

The bet was if it sells less than 200k, you get my avatar and sig. If it sells more than 600k, I get yours. In between, nothing happens.

Kasz216 said:
Kasz216 said:

I think so. 

Why do you think so?

MHG was a straight port was it not?

So it seems that i was wrong.

MHG on Wii was a straight port of the PS2 version and sold 280k, while the original PS2 version sold 250k.

I thought both were ports of the PSP version, but i've done my research badly.

So the comparison with this MH-versions is not that valid. Or the other way around:

-->ports sell better than originals in specific circumstances

Perhaps i am dead wrong, but i can't see this version selling in the million range.

Have a nice day and sorry for my harsh words. Sometimes i like to overdraw a bit.

pezus said:

Oh come on now...If the PS3 actually had Mario games it would have mass market appeal...why does the Wii appeal to the mass? Because of games (many casual games, Mario etc.), not the other way around.

Of course, but you see, as a result of all that has released on the consoles so far, they already have developed "personalities", so to speak. Mario wouldn't have sold 4m on PS3 because Wii's other games like Wii Sports had already garnered an audience ready to buy Mario. The PS3 has had all of one (barely) mass market game so far - no way it has an audience ready for anything 1m .
Not saying it won't beat 1m, but it would be illogical for it to do so.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Immortal said:

Of course, but you see, as a result of all that has released on the consoles so far, they already have developed "personalities", so to speak. Mario wouldn't have sold 4m on PS3 because Wii's other games like Wii Sports had already garnered an audience ready to buy Mario. The PS3 has had all of one (barely) mass market game so far - no way it has an audience ready for anything 1m .

Come on... Be fair.

Resident Evil 5 has sold over 900k there.
MGS4 has sold over 800k there.

Both of those games released when the PS3 base over in Japan was tiny, in comparison to where it's at now. (6,627,836 vs 2,892,729 and 2,131,896 respectively). I think an exclusive MH game could surpass 1 Million fairly easily. I think MGS5 or RE6 would also surpass a Million there, if released today.

PS3 will have sold over 7 Million by the end of this Year. That is a base big enough for a Million seller.

Carl2291 said:
Immortal said:

Come on... Be fair.

Resident Evil 5 has sold over 900k there.
MGS4 has sold over 800k there.

Both of those games released when the PS3 base over in Japan was tiny, in comparison to where it's at now. (6,627,836 vs 2,892,729 and 2,131,896 respectively). I think an exclusive MH game could surpass 1 Million fairly easily. I think MGS5 or RE6 would also surpass a Million there, if released today.

PS3 will have sold over 7 Million by the end of this Year. That is a base big enough for a Million seller.

While that's true, the Wii, with its hordes of games like NSMB, WS, WF, MKW and SSBB, that went way beyond 1m, even when the base was miniscule, could only carry MH to a spec past 1m. In my eyes, this proves that MH simply isn't such a big franchise on home consoles.

The only reason to believe that MH will sell better on PS3 is that it is more suited to the PS3 base, which I don't agree with and don't believe there is (much) objective evidence to support.

Besides, this is a port. Don't tell me people expected DQVI on DS to top DQVIII, :P.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:

While that's true, the Wii, with its hordes of games like NSMB, WS, WF, MKW and SSBB, that went way beyond 1m, even when the base was miniscule, could only carry MH to a spec past 1m. In my eyes, this proves that MH simply isn't such a big franchise on home consoles.

The only reason to believe that MH will sell better on PS3 is that it is more suited to the PS3 base, which I don't agree with and don't believe there is (much) objective evidence to support.

Besides, this is a port. Don't tell me people expected DQVI on DS to top DQVIII, :P.

I think it's fairly obvious that the Wii is better at the whole Million sellers thing

And I actually agree that this wont outsell the Wii game! haha, I just do believe that with the MH series growing in popularity, the PS3 install base growing and the seemingly growing support for PS3 (When compared to Wii), that the PS3 could carry an exclusive MH over the Million mark.

Carl2291 said:
Immortal said:

I think it's fairly obvious that the Wii is better at the whole Million sellers thing

And I actually agree that this wont outsell the Wii game! haha, I just do believe that with the MH series growing in popularity, the PS3 install base growing and the seemingly growing support for PS3 (When compared to Wii), that the PS3 could carry an exclusive MH over the Million mark.

So I've been arguing for nothing, :O?

An exclusive unported MH would definitely stand a better chance, though I don't agree that it would necessarily top 1m by much, if at all. I don't feel like arguing against it, though.

well it has online play (ad hoc party) and its gonna be released worldwide so i think it has a chance.

but the price point will be a major factor.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!