By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS may be the first instance where I actually pick Sony over Nintendo

Soleron said:
small44 said:
Soleron said:

I don't agree with how do you know that sony will only make ps3 port and spinoffs do you know that sony annouced 5 new IP for NGP:gravity daze,little deviants,reality fighter,broken and smart as.

I'd be surprised if any of those become key games for the platform. I hope they do though, I want to see more original content from Sony.

Of course there will be new games that aren't ports/spinoffs, same with the PSP, it's just that these didn't really sell systems.

psp lunched without new ip in 2005 and actually  i know only 2 new ip in psp wich are loco roco and patapon.

Sony annonced actually 5 ip for NGP and i think sony will annouce many other new IP.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
small44 said:

psp lunched without new ip in 2005 and actually  i know only 2 new ip in psp wich are loco roco and patapon.

Sony annonced actually 5 ip for NGP and i think sony will annouce many other new IP.

I will revisit my statement in two years then.

I don't think Sony has the first-party resources to put their A-teams on new IP for the launch.

You expect seriously a lower price for the NGP than what the 3DS has now? In which world do you life? The NGP is going to be a real powerfull System and will  easily outperform the 3DS performance. You may expect at least 300$ rather 350$ at the Releas. The 3DS really has a moderate price point in my opinion, 250$ is not that much. I got mine at 230$ that i a good price, the original Nintendo DS also cost 200$ at its Releas. There are only 30$ difference and the 3DS will soon get all the awesome Games.

But if you think the  NGP will offera better package for you than spar your money and wait for the NGP.

Jumpin said:

The only way I can think of people getting headaches is if they have a neurological disorder or are Sony fans.

Some would say that these are the same thing.

The 3DS just doesn't seem to stick out enough. Until you experience the 3D first hand, you aren't really going to know whether or not you want to buy it.

Maybe it will become more popular once the Virtual Console is available, and when another version with more features, and longer battery life is inevitably released.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

It is pretty much confirmed that the headache thing was a myth. I am not sure how it started. The only way I can think of people getting headaches is if they have a neurological disorder or are Sony fans.

Anyway, if all you see are Zelda and Mario Kart, then you are ignoring a lot of games like Kid Icarus, Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton, Super Mario 3DS, Assassin's Creed, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Cave Story 3D, etc...

The headaches are not a myth.  3D just has that effect on some people and isn't exclusive to just the 3DS.  Of course, I'm not sure if the glassless 3D increases this.  Or maybe people leaving and re-entering the 3D sweetspot several times while playing perpetuates this for some.  Either way, it is definitely not a myth.

@ OP

Well the NGP is definitely not going to be cheaper than the 3DS.  It will probably either be the same price or ~$50 more.  And it seems the 3DS is going to be getting about the same amount of ports and games in familar series as the NGP will, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Just depends on which franchises you like more.  If I were you, I'd wait til E3, when price for the NGP and game line ups for both are revealed, to make my decision.

Soleron said:

NGP won't be cheaper than 3DS. Sony's strength is their performance, so it will have to be much faster than the PSP and that means having better tech than the 3DS. This will be expensive and also lead to lower battery life than the 3DS, maybe similar to the original PSP.

Sony will be relying on PS3 ports and spinoffs, like the PSP did with the PS2, as I see no change in strategy from the executives' words. So unless you really like the PS3-exclusive lineup at the moment, it probably won't appeal.

The best thing for you would be to wait 2-3 years before buying either.

you can't be sure on that... they already said that they are on track to having a similar battery life to the psp which has a better battery life than the 3ds

o_O.Q said:
Soleron said:

NGP won't be cheaper than 3DS. Sony's strength is their performance, so it will have to be much faster than the PSP and that means having better tech than the 3DS. This will be expensive and also lead to lower battery life than the 3DS, maybe similar to the original PSP.

Sony will be relying on PS3 ports and spinoffs, like the PSP did with the PS2, as I see no change in strategy from the executives' words. So unless you really like the PS3-exclusive lineup at the moment, it probably won't appeal.

you can't be sure on that... they already said that they are on track to having a similar battery life to the psp which has a better battery life than the 3ds

They are not magically better system integrators than Nintendo. All of the following can't be true at once:

- Same screen brightness in 2D mode
- Better hardware performance than the 3DS
- Better battery life than the 3DS

You´re taking things too fast here, at least give the system one year to get its act together..if by March/April 2012 the 3DS is still disappointing you, then you can stick a fork in it :)

Soleron said:
o_O.Q said:
Soleron said:

They are not magically better system integrators than Nintendo. All of the following can't be true at once:

- Same screen brightness in 2D mode
- Better hardware performance than the 3DS
- Better battery life than the 3DS

The 3DS uses a special screen for the 3D effect which consumes way more power even in 2D mode. Anyway you can get 3 to 7 hours depending on what you turn on. On NGP you probably won't get over 5 hours, even with the OLED screens (which are perfect to save power) because of the power and the 3G, but the minimum should still be around 3 hours. Anyway these screens are way more expensive, which means that actually for 300$ probably Sony would loose too much money.

All this together points to another indirect competitor for 3DS, with the possibility of 100$ difference (even more if Nintendo cuts the price) and very different line ups the 3DS won't be affected too much by NGP I think. Someone who liked the DS should like the 3DS, even if it costs more and right now doesn't have any AAA game.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)