By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS may be the first instance where I actually pick Sony over Nintendo

While I understand not being interested in a library for a new device, at least not enough to warrant its purchase. I am willing to bet that by this holiday when the NGP releases you'll have the library in the 3DS to make its purchase more than worth it.

Hell, if its sales remain well below Nintendo's expectations, you'll probably see its first price drop by November.

Around the Network

DS had crap for launch titles. lol do you remember feel the magic and ridge racer as their big launch titles?

You need to give a system close to a year before judging it game wise.

It's just that simple.

Buzzi said:
Soleron said:
o_O.Q said:
Soleron said:

NGP won't be cheaper than 3DS. Sony's strength is their performance, so it will have to be much faster than the PSP and that means having better tech than the 3DS. This will be expensive and also lead to lower battery life than the 3DS, maybe similar to the original PSP.

Sony will be relying on PS3 ports and spinoffs, like the PSP did with the PS2, as I see no change in strategy from the executives' words. So unless you really like the PS3-exclusive lineup at the moment, it probably won't appeal.

The best thing for you would be to wait 2-3 years before buying either.

you can't be sure on that... they already said that they are on track to having a similar battery life to the psp which has a better battery life than the 3ds

They are not magically better system integrators than Nintendo. All of the following can't be true at once:

- Same screen brightness in 2D mode
- Better hardware performance than the 3DS
- Better battery life than the 3DS

The 3DS uses a special screen for the 3D effect which consumes way more power even in 2D mode. Anyway you can get 3 to 7 hours depending on what you turn on. On NGP you probably won't get over 5 hours, even with the OLED screens (which are perfect to save power) because of the power and the 3G, but the minimum should still be around 3 hours. Anyway these screens are way more expensive, which means that actually for 300$ probably Sony would loose too much money.

All this together points to another indirect competitor for 3DS, with the possibility of 100$ difference (even more if Nintendo cuts the price) and very different line ups the 3DS won't be affected too much by NGP I think. Someone who liked the DS should like the 3DS, even if it costs more and right now doesn't have any AAA game.

Buzzi, about the bolded part... I think it´ll depend on whether or not the 3DS focus on pick up and play games...the kind that´s perfect for gaming on the go....as much as I like games like 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, etc....I don´t think games like those are a good match for handhelds, that´s what we have home consoles for...anyway, this E3 will be far more revealing, it just seems the 3DS is focusing more on 'home console' games rather than on the kind of games that are much more appropriate for portability.

What is it with people and judging an entire platform on it's first couple of months?

MrT-Tar said:

What is it with people and judging an entire platform on it's first couple of months?

Beats judging it before it's even out, as was the case with Wii, and now Project Café.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
Soleron said:
o_O.Q said:
Soleron said:

NGP won't be cheaper than 3DS. Sony's strength is their performance, so it will have to be much faster than the PSP and that means having better tech than the 3DS. This will be expensive and also lead to lower battery life than the 3DS, maybe similar to the original PSP.

Sony will be relying on PS3 ports and spinoffs, like the PSP did with the PS2, as I see no change in strategy from the executives' words. So unless you really like the PS3-exclusive lineup at the moment, it probably won't appeal.

you can't be sure on that... they already said that they are on track to having a similar battery life to the psp which has a better battery life than the 3ds

They are not magically better system integrators than Nintendo. All of the following can't be true at once:

Of course they can.  The NGP uses an OLED screen, some of which use up less than 1/2 the power of a typical LCD screen and don't require a backlight.  Now the 3DS has 3 LCD screens, 2 to pull off the 3D effect and one for the touchscreen.  Also, the chips Sony are using MAY use less power, but give higher performance.  And finally they may be using a larger capacity battery than that found in the 3DS/PSP.  In the end, I imagine it to give a better battery life than the 3DS by a couple of hours.

Edit:  As thetonestarr pointed out, there is now no UMD drive.  So actually, they could have a battery the same size as the PSP and still get more juice from it.

Soleron said:
o_O.Q said:
Soleron said:

If they include a significantly larger battery, that improves battery life. And without a UMD drive, there's plenty more space for the battery. Chances are, that's what they'll utilize it for. That'll mean you'll be walking around with a small car battery attached to the back of your gaming device, but still, that'd fix it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I think you are making a good choice in picking NGP over 3DS.

I lol at those who call NGP games as ports (1. they don't know what a port is 2. they are as with psp focusing on only few games out of the list to support their argument) and go GAGA for Zelda 3ds, starfox, SF etc. Laughable stuff from some of you :D

about the OP

NGP will be more expensive than 3DS

it will have two analog sticks vs one 'nub' for 3ds...way way better, ninty should have at least done better if they were gonna copy the psp and add at least two nubs. missed opportunity imo

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

JGarret said:
Buzzi said:
Soleron said:
o_O.Q said:
Soleron said:

The 3DS uses a special screen for the 3D effect which consumes way more power even in 2D mode. Anyway you can get 3 to 7 hours depending on what you turn on. On NGP you probably won't get over 5 hours, even with the OLED screens (which are perfect to save power) because of the power and the 3G, but the minimum should still be around 3 hours. Anyway these screens are way more expensive, which means that actually for 300$ probably Sony would loose too much money.

All this together points to another indirect competitor for 3DS, with the possibility of 100$ difference (even more if Nintendo cuts the price) and very different line ups the 3DS won't be affected too much by NGP I think. Someone who liked the DS should like the 3DS, even if it costs more and right now doesn't have any AAA game.

Buzzi, about the bolded part... I think it´ll depend on whether or not the 3DS focus on pick up and play games...the kind that´s perfect for gaming on the go....as much as I like games like 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, etc....I don´t think games like those are a good match for handhelds, that´s what we have home consoles for...anyway, this E3 will be far more revealing, it just seems the 3DS is focusing more on 'home console' games rather than on the kind of games that are much more appropriate for portability.

It's true in a certain degree, but there are already 150 and counting games announced for 3DS, not all of them are "home" games. For example Ghost Recon is perfect for the console and it's also a great game. Just from Nintendo we have Steel Diver, Kid Icarus and Mario Kart all built around the console itself. The new DoA, a classic home console game, plays great even on 3DS. We lack some good RPGs, which made the DS one of thegreatest console ever, but that complain should be addressed to Square-Enix, and Level-5 is gonna supporting powerfully the 3DS according to them.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)