By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I feel a MASSIVE change in the gaming industry

Again, I agree with Legend and I think this will remain the case until someone comes along and hits one out of the park with a 'conventional' game. I think TimeSplitters 4 (assuming it does in fact come to Wii) could be such a game. I don't think games that take themselves too seriously will ever do really well (like WWII games or Bioshock) but games that mix fun quality gameplay with fun quality story/characters could do well irregardless of gameplay type (FPS, RTS, platformer, RPG, etc.)

If and when this happens, publishers are going to be looking at a game that cost less to make and made a ton more profit than what their getting doing 360/PS3/PC games. They'll naturally want a piece of that pie too. And then we'll start seeing a lot more 'conventional' games coming to Wii. If not existing IPs then 'conventional' types of gameplay in new IPs that appeal to a broader audience.

In the mean time, I'm loving my Wii for having a lot of unconventional gameplay. WiiSports, M&S, NiGHTS, Mercury Meltdown with real tilt control, Godfather, and just picked up Dewy and having fun with that. Looking forward to more unconventional stuff to keep me entertained in the meantime.

Around the Network

I think its more wishful thinking on the part of PC/360/PS3 enthusiasts that the Wii's third party support won't expand or grow. It's basically the same rationale embraced in common Wii denial that tries to dictate, "The Wii is not a threat to my interest in gaming because it will always get games that are casual/different/unique/spin-offs/etc so I'll always have the real games on the consoles I like."

Notice how Legend11's posts since the Holiday season began have begun to shift from 360 news and updates to naysaying the competition. He's grown tactful in his art over the months he's been here, he knows how to disguise a jab as a constructive comment and he knows how to ruffle feathers and push people's buttons. But make no mistake, earlier he saw the 360's software dominance as more than enough to quell his contempt for the Wii, but now he's made to remember the feeling he's experienced before when the Wii plowed through the competition early 07 and began to grow with no sign of stopping. He's panicking and trying to curb the popular opinion of this thread is just a means by which he hopes to bring peace to his own shaken faith in the 360 after the beating it took this holiday season.

Let's be honest though, everytime we're reminded of the Wii's utter dominance in sales as we saw this last week we see an outbreak of threads and comments like this that try and downplay the Wii or negotiate it as being last gen console, for whatever reason not on the same playing field as the 360/PS3, not getting the "real" games, or limited to its own brand of "unique"-style games. People don't want to accept the Wii as this generation's standard so they come up with whatever they can to try and rationalize what's happening in the gaming world to benefit their investment in the expensive HD multi-media consoles.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
I think its more wishful thinking on the part of PC/360/PS3 enthusiasts that the Wii's third party support won't expand or grow. It's basically the same rationale embraced in common Wii denial that tries to dictate, "The Wii is not a threat to my interest in gaming because it will always get games that are casual/different/unique/spin-offs/etc so I'll always have the real games on the consoles I like."

Notice how Legend11's posts since the Holiday season began have begun to shift from 360 news and updates to naysaying the competition. He's grown tactful in his art over the months he's been here, he knows how to disguise a jab as a constructive comment and he knows how to ruffle feathers and push people's buttons. But make no mistake, earlier he saw the 360's software dominance as more than enough to quell his contempt for the Wii, but now he's made to remember the feeling he's experienced before when the Wii plowed through the competition early 07 and began to grow with no sign of stopping. He's panicking and trying to curb the popular opinion of this thread is just a means by which he hopes to bring peace to his own shaken faith in the 360 after the beating it took this holiday season.

Let's be honest though, everytime we're reminded of the Wii's utter dominance in sales as we saw this last week we see an outbreak of threads and comments like this that try and downplay the Wii or negotiate it as being last gen console, for whatever reason not on the same playing field as the 360/PS3, not getting the "real" games, or limited to its own brand of "unique"-style games. People don't want to accept the Wii as this generation's standard so they come up with whatever they can to try and rationalize what's happening in the gaming world to benefit their investment in the expensive HD multi-media consoles.

oh god, here comes an arguement. just try to control yourself this time, the mods will be looking for a good excuse to give you a permanent ban. legend has a point you know.

You just now felt this? I felt it way back when the DS was taking off and there were rumors of the Revolution having more "actual" 3D elements.

Hear hear! I loved John Lucas and Girl Gamers comments!

I feel that most 360 and PS3 gamers fail to realize that yes, their consoles are here to stay and will sell. However the type of momentum that Nintendo has created is the type that these companies are noticing and will eventually imitate. Thus this is why Wii IS a revolution! Wii has changed the gaming industry forever. I have no doubts that both Sony and MS will follow suit with their next gen. consoles. For now though, Sony and MS are satisfied? Why? Its not because of their loses with these consoles, rather they both had an agenda that went farther than gaming. Sony went and pushed Blu-Ray and thanks to the PS3 it will most likely win. The royalties they will make out of every Blu-Ray disc is going to be so enourmous that it will not matter to them whether the PS3 win this generation or not. Just look how DVD has kept Toshiba alive even with the loses they see with their HD-DVD players.
On the other hand Microsoft's agenda was all about entering a new market that has money and expanding it with online services. XBox Live became a success regardless of the first XBox losses and has changed the market forever.
Nintendo has brought back simplicity, expanded the market to new levels, and has opened the door for Microsoft and Sony to go after it. I remember somebody compared the Wii with an Ipod earlier in this thread and he is absolutely right. Everyone has seen what the Ipod success did. Everyone wanted a piece of the pie and now you see all sorts of MP3 players brand. Now with Nintendo's success don't be surprised when the next gen war is not so next gen, rather with new gimmicks as Sony and Microsoft try to dig on this newly expanded market.

What are you looking at, nerd?
Around the Network

if anyone would just take the time to scan the sales numbers for 3rd party games on all 3 consoles its pretty obvious to see that even most ps3 games outsell its wii counterpart by 2 to 1.. look at pro street or smackdown or call of duty 3 or any of em... with this information at hand why would 3rd party developers just all of a sudden lessen support for the 360 or ps3 or PC?? unless all of a sudden they just stop making hardcore games and switch to more casual games..

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Legend11 will only have a point if his predictions come true for the fullness of this generation. Don't get ahead of yourself in your willingness to believe the Wii will never become a true threat to the 360/PS3 --OkeyDokey--. ;)

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Legend11 will only have a point if his predictions come true for the fullness of this generation. Don't get ahead of yourself in your willingness to believe the Wii will never become a true threat to the 360/PS3 --OkeyDokey--. ;)

tell me this though... Is what he said true so far??

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

URNotE said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

tell me this though... Is what he said true so far??

To an extent, but then you'd have to ignore every game on the Wii that doesn't fit his rather broad claim/prediction.

Wow. Girl Gamer Elite is correct once again. How does she do it?