By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Story : How the Wii got the status of the PS2, or more than that.

Nobody I know who owned a PS2 now has a Wii, and that's a very long list of people. Instead I'm seing friends of mine who never owned a console buying one. The question is, is this new market as big as the old one the PS2 made?

Is the Wii a fad? It's filled the first part of the criteria, in that it's become popular very quickly. It would then need to lose all that popularity very quickly in the future to earn the title.

Also, the Wii will never have the status of the PS2 until it matches it in market penetration and sales.

Around the Network

at the rate that the wii is selling it will sell more than 100 million! but, i agree with everyone when everyone says that the ps2 is the superstar!! it will always be known as the gaming king!!! (i brought 2 of them!!!)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
shitsman said:
Ehhh chill out Nfans. Your console is selling really good, its just..........you can hardly call it a ''GAMING'' console can ya?

PS2 was a gaming console at the time with no price advantage, the Wii right now is a TOY with a huuuuuge price advantage.

Even SE said this soooooo stop with these premature glory declerations please

first of all, you must be a sony fanboy dissing the wii with that comment about hardly calling it a gaming console!! (it plays games idiot!!) second of all, the ps2 was only 50 dollars more than the wii when it came out. that is a good price also! xbox was about 400 dollars when it came out. the gamecube was the cheapest but it looked like a fisher price toy. the wii will be guaranteed huge success! it might not be ps2 level but better than ps1 level for sure!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

Sounds like the OP was just slightly whipped. =P

@shitsman: Hate to break it to you, but game consoles are toys.

Also, the Wii never had a huge price advantage; the 360 Core was only $50 more from the start, and now the Arcade is only $30 more. And the Wii is still selling the pants off of MS.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Erm yo know what a mean. Wii is aimed at children and grandparents while ps3 and the amerikan console is aimed at 18+ folk

Around the Network
shitsman said:
Erm yo know what a mean. Wii is aimed at children and grandparents while ps3 and the amerikan console is aimed at 18+ folk

Actually, the Wii is aimed at... well, pretty much everybody. Us 18-34 types can have just as much fun with it as anyone else. Er, unless you're one of those people who thinks that a twentysomething male can't enjoy Mario and Zelda.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

i too have my "wii" story but i'll abbreviate it to one sentance....after allowing some friends/family play my wii over the holidays i convinced 3 households to buy a wii for next holiday.

As I said in a previous thread. Nintendo is back and I agree with you Neos.

Good post by the way 8)

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial

Half of my friends I know have a Wii and they have a PS3. So I believe the Playstation brand name is still in effect but having the original Nintendo comeback. Consumers see this and its a battle between the old vs. the new.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial

@Shitsman:

First of all: what the hell kind of name is shitsman?

Second: I'm 18 years old. I love the Wii more than any of the other two, though I own and play all of them. Most of my friends who are my age also own a Wii. I bet more than half the people on this forum have a Wii, and I guarantee here no one is a child or a grandparent. Therefore, you fail.