By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Writing off the 360

gamingdevil said:

Actually, i'm a Nintendo fan, and i still believe that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in 2008 by a lot. The 360 had some amazing games, the PS3 with a higher price and much less great games matched its sales and it's now outselling it.

If prices stay the same i expect the PS3 to heavily outsell the 360 in 2008, and overtake it's sales at Early 2009. 

I hate to sound like a broken record but do you people realize just how hard this is to accomplish? The PS3 has to start outselling the 360 by 150,000/week to pass it by 1/01/09 and it has to outsell it by 75,000/week to outsell it by 1/01/10.

Do any of you actually believe this is possible? 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I wont get into this.. rocketpig and mrstickball have taken the thread over.

mM
leo-j said:
I wont get into this.. rocketpig and mrstickball have taken the thread over.

Yeah, we did. In 43 posts, Stickball and myself have three posts each.

DOMINATION!

Good show. 

Ah, but gamingdevil, the prices WONT stay the same.

Everyone assumes the PS3 and X360 will stay at their price points. The X360 can change it's price at anytime it feels like. Many, including myself, have pointed to a $50 USD price drop in March, just before GTAIV. The X360 had a 100% boost from that drop. What will happen when the X360 gets that price drop, and Sony fails to match the drop?

Everyone makes the asinine declaration of "the X360, with better games and a cheaper price can't even outsell the PS3 right now. Why can it do that later?"

Answer: Because the X360 can get more games, and a cheaper price than the PS3 can get either. Sony has had to drop their 2 primary models for an infinitely neutered 40gb model that has no BC to get the PS3 to $400. The PS3 is selling on the fact it has Blu-Ray, is a PS3, and is $400. When you have those 3 things, it'll sell. It would be like the X360 getting a drop by November 2006, to $200/275 for both units.

Like rocketpig said, the PS3 would have to outsell the X360 by 150k per week to beat it in 08. With no major exclusives, sans MGS4 next year, and an impending X360 pricedrop well before sony can counter, the PS3 will only be able to outsell the X360 by 2010 at the earliest.

God, I wish that some people would actually look at sales figures before actually making this "PS3 will overtake the X360 in 12 months" bullcrap.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Belyakov there's a lot talk about these two consoles cuz here is where the fan is

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

Drop the price "significantly"?

Are they really gunna drop the price that much with the Wii keeping the same price?

I don't think so. It will look desperate. And the Wii wont drop price anytime soon because they can keep them in stock as it is.

The 360 is holding on by America only, everywhere else the PS3 is catching/has caught the 360.

Thats why people think the 360 will lose. Its with better games/cheaper price that this is happening. If either GT5/MGS4/FF came out around the same time as Halo 3, the PS3 would have outsold the Xbox360 by millions this holiday season.

DMeisterJ said:
People (Wii Fanboys) are writing it off because the Wii had an 1 million+ week, now they are on a high, thinking it can't be stopped.

Yes, everything is the fault of Wii fanboys...

SeriousWB said:
DMeisterJ said:
People (Wii Fanboys) are writing it off because the Wii had an 1 million+ week, now they are on a high, thinking it can't be stopped.

Yes, everything is the fault of Wii fanboys...

Of course. That's what they get for enjoying a console that's loved by a vast majority of the gaming population. :D

Jandre02 said:
Drop the price "significantly"?

Are they really gunna drop the price that much with the Wii keeping the same price?

I don't think so. It will look desperate. And the Wii wont drop price anytime soon because they can keep them in stock as it is.

The 360 is holding on by America only, everywhere else the PS3 is catching/has caught the 360.

Thats why people think the 360 will lose. Its with better games/cheaper price that this is happening. If either GT5/MGS4/FF came out around the same time as Halo 3, the PS3 would have outsold the Xbox360 by millions this holiday season.

I think there's a chance that MS will drop the price significantly. Remember that by most estimates, they're now turning a healthy profit from hardware. Add in a 65nm GPU and a new RAM process and a nice price drop shouldn't be a problem. Unlike last generation when they were constantly playing catchup, MS seems to be playing their own game this generation (albeit to mixed results saleswise).

I think MS need to generate hype on the scale of the Halo hype for one or a few more games. If they can get that same hype for just another or two more series other than the Halo series they could float through the year. However it may be a bit late for that plan for 2008, if they began on it now they could get a nice position for 2009.