By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Writing off the 360

I thought this thread was going to be about taxes...

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network
thx1138 said:
Amazing things said in this thread.

First off since the beginning of November the 360 has been outsold by the PS3 3 weeks. Now if I do the math that means that the 360 has outsold the PS3 five weeks. Lets not even talk about prior to November.

The PS3 beat the 360 in hardware sales the last 4 weeks and 5 out of the last 7 weeks.  What are you talking about?

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

FreeTalkLive rocks! said:
thx1138 said:
Amazing things said in this thread.

First off since the beginning of November the 360 has been outsold by the PS3 3 weeks. Now if I do the math that means that the 360 has outsold the PS3 five weeks. Lets not even talk about prior to November.

The PS3 beat the 360 in hardware sales the last 4 weeks and 5 out of the last 7 weeks.  What are you talking about?

According to Hardware Comparison charts the PS3 has outsold the 360 this past week, week of Dec 3rd, and week of Dec 12th. 

Libraries sell systems not individual games

I've said this before, and I'll say it again -- the problem is, Microsoft made a bunch of bone-headed management decisions which made the 360 uncompetitive with the PS3 over the long haul. Things like (1) no replaceable hard disk, (2) major quality issues, (3) no next-gen DVD storage, (4) surprisingly average DVD playback and media functionality, and (5) lack of investment in a first-party studio network.

All of this was obvious to anyone who followed the game industry waaaaayyy back in summer of 2006. The quality issues are, hopefully, being resolved, but the other problems will just get worse and worse.

It's a damn shame, because the 360 is a fine platform, and the industry needs healthy competition. This is the fault of Ballmer and the top managers, not Microsoft's game division, who've done the best they've could under trying circumstances.

madskillz said:
I guess the real thing is - a win is a win. If MS beats Sony, Gates will be happy. So what the Wii beat the snot out of both systems. MS likes Ninny, and hates Sony. They want to see Sony beaten.

And folks are still waiting to buy either a 360 or a PS3. Some folks are still talking about buying a PS3 with BC! Sony failed to ignite a fire under customers' bottoms until they did a price cut to get their PS3 sold, despite the huge losses. They are hoping to recoup their money through software sales. The 360 is at a point where they can slash prices, make a tiny profit and still get the sales as well.

Sony is running scared - and are pleased with this seasonal bump. But mark my words - and I will gladly have a dish of crow if I am wrong - but ... the PS3 will settle back into pre-holiday numbers with the 360 holding steady.

Bill Gates wants domination over the industry.  Sony was the one dominating, but now you see MS dishing out more and more comments against Nintendo.  Complete Nintendo domination was not part of the plan when they made the "Wii60" thing.  Expect more and more slander toward Nintendo from them.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

never count MS out, because they still have many good games to come and most games this gen are gonna be multiplat with the PS3. MS also has many exclusives like GOW2 and banjo threeie.

If I were _____________then maybe I would have friends

Nobody is writing off microsoft even though PS3 is doing better than 360 was at this point in its life, despite it costing $600.

Heres a stupid link back to this site to show you:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=59

It just shows how after 59 weeks (the lenght ps3 has been out), it has more sales than 360 after 59 weeks.

^^ Sorry, had to say that. But in reality i like 360 a lot and i hope it does well, and I hope PS3 does very well. I really hope people stop buying wii once they get tired of the abysmal game selection.

TurdFergusonMcGee said:
^^ Sorry, had to say that. But in reality i like 360 a lot and i hope it does well, and I hope PS3 does very well. I really hope people stop buying wii once they get tired of the abysmal game selection.

your just writting off the wii right now and that isn't fair either. People seem to forget that it is only the wii's first year, so there are plenty of great games to come.

If I were _____________then maybe I would have friends

SlorgNet said:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again -- the problem is, Microsoft made a bunch of bone-headed management decisions which made the 360 uncompetitive with the PS3 over the long haul. Things like (1) no replaceable hard disk, (2) major quality issues, (3) no next-gen DVD storage, (4) surprisingly average DVD playback and media functionality, and (5) lack of investment in a first-party studio network.

All of this was obvious to anyone who followed the game industry waaaaayyy back in summer of 2006. The quality issues are, hopefully, being resolved, but the other problems will just get worse and worse.

It's a damn shame, because the 360 is a fine platform, and the industry needs healthy competition. This is the fault of Ballmer and the top managers, not Microsoft's game division, who've done the best they've could under trying circumstances.

1. 360 Hard disk is more joe consumer friendly to replace than PS3. Sure the PS3 HD can be replaced, but if it was so easy to put any HDD in then the best thing Sony could have done was not have all these SKU's. Just offer a SKU without HDD, but make purchasing 1 mandatory.  Then people could choose any off the shelf HDD.

2. MS did not plan for quality issues. They have rectified this and still offer a 3 year warranty for the issue.

3. If MS had gone with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray the console would have been delayed a year and imagine the shortages that would have occurred if both Sony and MS were trying to launch last year with both of them competing for the components.  When people make this argument they forgot the launch issues with PS3 and Blu-Ray.

4. In the day and age of people spending $30 on a DVD player this means nothing. Geez the Wii doesnt offer any DVD playback and it is doing fine.

5. We will see how much this really effects the 360.

Libraries sell systems not individual games