By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS: The Failed Launch

Simulacrum said:

I think it is biggest flop of all time in gaming history. Its been outsold by PSP and even normal DS...

The only system that Nintendo has ever lot money on was the Virtual Boy. Every other system - Gamecube included- turned a profit. If the 3ds does not turn a profit it could be one of hte worst consoles in Nintendo history. To say one of the worst in gaming history  is a daft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5EWdRXkrk&feature=related

10. phantom - never released

9. N-gage

8.vitural boy

7. 3DO

6. Sega Gensis add-ons (all grouped in one)

5.Jaguar

4. Phillips CD-i

3. Atari 5200

2.R-Zone

1. Gizmondo

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Around the Network

Ok instead of flop = failed to meet those expections that every single person expected before release.

70% Games(I don't mean names etc, just same kind of games) that will be released to 3DS has already been released on DS without 3D.Why would I buy it?Why would those millions of Ds users that have played all those games many years, buy 3DS and play them again on 3DS?

Actually that could be fun.If it was made to HD instead of 3D.

Anyway I don't see it selling more than maybe 20-30 units lifetime.Which is sad.

Its been outsold by PSP and even normal DS..

Take my love, take my land..

Failed to meet expectations I agree with 100%, though it was kinda predictable with the lack of games on the horizon.

Either way, to argue that it will sell horrible because of its current sales being outdone by the PSP and DS, as already stated, is wrong.  All current gen consoles lost to the PS2 for some time after thier launch, and look at them now.

Simulacrum said:

Ok instead of flop = failed to meet those expections that every single person expected before release.

70% Games(I don't mean names etc, just same kind of games) that will be released to 3DS has already been released on DS without 3D.Why would I buy it?Why would those millions of Ds users that have played all those games many years, buy 3DS and play them again on 3DS?

Actually that could be fun.If it was made to HD instead of 3D.

Anyway I don't see it selling more than maybe 20-30 units lifetime.Which is sad.

The Ps3's launch was terrible, the games were mostly  ports for the first year or so. There were a few exclusives, but at the price tag for the console a lot of people wanted to wait  and see if the system developed before signing on board.  It is doing fine now, but to gloss over the bad press and ill will that sony earned in the early ps3 days would be a mistake. It was considered to be a huge underperformer and diapointment for quite a while.

All launch library tend twords mediocre to bad - with there maybe being a couple of ok games to play when a system is released.  I think that making sure that 3d zelda was ready or something similar would have been a good move. I think the currentt sluggishness of the 3ds is more due to nintendo's slowness to adopt online systems and microtransactions. They have tried some withthe wii and dsi, but overall they are behind the competition in their online setup. Apple and droid have changed how people see potable gaming, and nintendo is not controlling how people spend money like they were in the early days of the casual ds boom. For that matter neither is sony.  Sony will eventually recover from the hacking fiasco, but it is not going to help them compete in the current handheld market for now. microtransactions are huge right now, and that means credit card info is sent somewhere.

oh and, repeating things makes them more true

repeating things makes them more true

repeating things makes them more true.

loves2splooge said:

(Brits may have shittier teeth than most people but eyes?)

As a British person, I want proof that our teeth are 'shittier than most people', because from my experience the hygiene (including oral) is better than a lot of the rest of the world.  An economist article from 2009 states supports this.

Source: http://www.economist.com/node/15060097

Around the Network

Another proof that the gaming industry is plagued by the highest amount of dumb "journalists" ever (closely followed by "car journalism").

Some gaming-related articles are so bad they make even today's terrible music journalism look like it's written by Robert Christgau.

darthdevidem01 said:

I don't know but doesn't every gaming system have this problem at launch and for months after launch?

It takes time for great games to start coming out consistently (took PS3 almost a year after launch to get this coming) for "most" systems...some never do get great games coming out consistently.

The Wii didn't. The DS had this problem in America but not in Europe or Japan where major games released shortly after launch (Nintendogs for example).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Hmm...Indeed Ps3 had failure launch but it was made to the next generation of consoles..Ps3 improved everything from Ps2,hd,internet,media center and stuff. I don't know has 3DS that much more technology when comparing to Ds and well it is very very very similar on games,desing etc when comparing to Ds.

Well lets see if it gets some great games and other interesting stuff compared to Ds than 3D.

Well lets see if it gets some great games and other interesting stuff compared to Ds than 3D.

:=?

Take my love, take my land..

Simulacrum said:

Hmm...Indeed Ps3 had failure launch but it was made to the next generation of consoles..Ps3 improved everything from Ps2,hd,internet,media center and stuff. I don't know has 3DS that much more technology when comparing to Ds and well it is very very very similar on games,desing etc when comparing to Ds.

:=?

So it is okay to be lack luster provided you are for the "next generation" or if you improve on the previous system? The graphics are better.- and I am not talking about the 3d bit. The graphics are much better.  The camera is better and can take 3d pictures.  The sliding analog is amazing, and really improves on the traditional d-pad design. It is amazingly comfortable and reminds me of the old nesmax. It has an expanded wireless feature, and has somesort of store built into it. I would say that it does vastly improve on the ds design. Deciding that a feature is unimpressive because it does not tickle your fancy does not actually negate the feature. How many times did my brother or myself use the blu-ray player? - none, we did not even open up spider-man 3 mostly due to the movie sucking. Did we ever use any of the media center features ever? not really.  did we always have the ps3 hooked up to a hd tv? nope. sometimes, but often not.   Hd, Blu-ray, and the media center are all snazzy features, but I just play games on my console and those features don't add any value for me personally. The feature that I wanted most - backwards compatability- was removed for the version we had. It's a good thing sony didn't make a habit of out of removing features from their system.

as long as 3ds fans don't spend the first 2 years of the console's life building up unrealistic internal hype by deciding that each game release will and must be the systems' "savior", i think everything will work out just fine.

as long as 3ds fans don't spend the first 2 years of the console's life building up unrealistic internal hype by deciding that each game release will and must be the systems' "savior", i think everything will work out just fine.

(^o^)

^^^valen2000 your one of the few people making sense, the 3DS wasnt the hit that some people hoped/wanted it to be. People need to get over it, if you bought it and  became dissapointed, then you should have done better research, its a Ninty portable so it will do alright, who cares if it doesnt move millions of units