Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are your game retailers Fair/Bias/Don't know s***

Are your game retailers Fair/Bias/Don't know s***

Fair 13 25.00%

Bias 16 30.77%

Don't know s*** 12 23.08%

I don't know 2 3.85%

I buy my games elsewhere 8 15.38%

Total:51

when it comes to buying games at your local game store, how do the store clerks treat you and other customers when it comes to buying games/suggesting games and or system?

I wanted to make this thread after this situation:

yesterday I was heading to gamestop to waste some time  until my bus came(though I ended up buying Star Wars the Force Unleashed II and re-buying Dante's Inferno) when this women came in deciding either to get a PS3 or 360 for her children, she went to the store clerk(a new guy) for suggestions, and well it was evident he was a 360 fan. First he went off saying the PS3 hasn't been selling well, that Sony was ignoring their fanbase because of the PS move, and that the PSN was hacked and that if you sign in you might get your information stolen, now me hearing this I turned around and started listening in, he then said that Sony was has started charging for online since last year because they need money, and that with the 360 you're paying for added security, dedicated servers, facebook intergration,netflix(though this is debatable)

I stepped in and said that that clearly isn't true, and told the woman how the Sony's paid subcription is optional and that the online was free while you would have to pay $60 a year if you wanted to play online with the Xbox 360 and gave her the latest on Sony's PSN troubles, the store clerk tried to make it seem like I didn't know what I was talking about, but luckily the woman listen to my comments and asked me what I would chose, I told her it really depends on what your looking for; I told her that with the PS3 you're getting free online, a built-in blu-ray player and wifi adapter the ability to run netflix, with the 360 you're also getting a built-in wifi adapter and the ability to run netflix and that most 360 models come with MS's new electronic device called Kinect that was a pretty hot item, that it gets you up in active

fortunatley the woman didn't buy anything and decided to do some research on her own

as I end this post: this is not an attack on 360 fans, most of the workers there are 360 fans but they're quite fair when it comes suggesting games/sytems( the only PS3 fans that work there are  half-japanese...go figure lol)

Around the Network

Maybe the dude would get an extra bonus for selling a 360.. but because of you he couldn't sell one and his children are going hungry!!!

anyway I buy my games online so no dude hanging around me... and i usually walk around with my headphones in so people don't tell me stuff

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Bias and stupid.

Not really. Yes, they do have their preferences, but I don't think they are bias.

There's this one retailer who is really passionate about gaming and we can talk forever at Gamestop. We usually end up fighting when we discuss Square Enix XD

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

I remember a VGC member that used to tell stories about how he would always suggest a used copy of any HD game so that Sony/MS didn't make any money off the sale but didn't do the same for Nintendo.  I'm sure seemingly small BS like that happens all the time and bias is everywhere in varying amounts.

Around the Network

The people at my local Gamestop are excellent and about as fair and unbiased as they come.

NiKKoM said:

Maybe the dude would get an extra bonus for selling a 360.. but because of you he couldn't sell one and his children are going hungry!!!

anyway I buy my games online so no dude hanging around me... and i usually walk around with my headphones in so people don't tell me stuff

My thoughts exactly.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Eh, outside of a very small number, they all are incredibly stupid and ignorant. I generally just nod when they recommend things or volunteer information about my purchase.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

if you cant tell the difference between an 360/ps3 or an wii without inncorrect bias statements then you shouldn't be working in an exclusive game store. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

I manage multiple Gamestop's.

And I'm willing to wager I know more about games than 95% of the posters on this site.  That being said, there are some people who don't know tons about games that work in gaming retail, but are great sales people.  The number one problem we run into are "hardore" gamers who think they know everything about games and try to disagree with everything we recommend or suggest.  But I try and make sure I hire as balanced of employees as I can, and I make damn sure they aren't all core gamers.