By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - being gay a choice vs born that way.

being gay a choice vs born that way.

It's a lifestyle choice 120 25.53%

Your born that way 250 53.19%

no opinion 36 7.66%

other---for anything I missed 62 13.19%

Total:468
Cheebee said:
I can't believe how many utterly y ignorant people there still are.

Agree. I'm shocked that this thread went on and yet the discourse has grown further from the truth...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I never understood this debate.. Can't you just ask a gay person? Problem solved! I mean, I think they would know..

Furthermore, it's a retarded debate in the first place.. Did you "chose" to be heterosexual? In other words, would it be possible to flip the switch so-to-speak and suddenly find men attractive if you wanted to? Didn't think so.

Look how many people work on the Sabbath, and that's a Commandment. Bible says you shall do NO WORK on the Sabbath, or allow anyone in your family, including servants, to do work on that day.

Until all the people at Sunday Brunch after church start telling their waitresses they are sinning and going to hell for breaking one of the Ten Commandments, I ain't listening to any more hypocritical Biblical B.S.

Lines from the Bible decrying homosexual behavior are in much more skippable places, like Leviticus, and have been much more tampered with translation-side than the Commandments. People are hypocrites, and they should look in the mirror before they start casting stones. Which the Bible says you should do to women who spoil their virginity before marriage, you straight hypocrites having pre-marital sex. Not only is it forbidden, but you are supposed to KILL your female partners for doing it, so says the Bible. You're also supposed to stone to death kids who don't obey their parents. Guess we're all dead now.

It's so boring.

If you believe in God, how many really good, nice, helpful, law-abiding, charitable gay people does God have to make before you realize maybe he wants them here.

Why people choose the two or three (often mistranslated and rewritten) lines from the Bible that go after gays and ignore the parts they don't like have hatred and judgement in their hearts. Which, of course, Jesus seemingly said not to do.

Get over yourselves and stay out of my business.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

I think of it this way. Would I choose to be black during the 60's during the civil rights movement. Why would you choose to be a certain type of person that is generally not accepted out in the open yet.

I know alot of people that have no issue with someone being gay, but what would you think would happen if two men started kissing in a target?

kmarois said:
I think of it this way. Would I choose to be black during the 60's during the civil rights movement. Why would you choose to be a certain type of person that is generally not accepted out in the open yet.

I know alot of people that have no issue with someone being gay, but what would you think would happen if two men started kissing in a target?

Depends on where you are.  No one would blink an eye at my Target.  Unless they were like hardcore making out.  But you'd look at anybody weird if that were happening, no matter the gender.

Around the Network

I can't believe how many people think that gay people "are born that way", prenatal factors are sure a very important part in shaping a person's sexual orientation, but it acts along with environmental and psychological factors.

fastyxx said:
Look how many people work on the Sabbath, and that's a Commandment. Bible says you shall do NO WORK on the Sabbath, or allow anyone in your family, including servants, to do work on that day.

Until all the people at Sunday Brunch after church start telling their waitresses they are sinning and going to hell for breaking one of the Ten Commandments, I ain't listening to any more hypocritical Biblical B.S.

Lines from the Bible decrying homosexual behavior are in much more skippable places, like Leviticus, and have been much more tampered with translation-side than the Commandments. People are hypocrites, and they should look in the mirror before they start casting stones. Which the Bible says you should do to women who spoil their virginity before marriage, you straight hypocrites having pre-marital sex. Not only is it forbidden, but you are supposed to KILL your female partners for doing it, so says the Bible. You're also supposed to stone to death kids who don't obey their parents. Guess we're all dead now.

It's so boring.

If you believe in God, how many really good, nice, helpful, law-abiding, charitable gay people does God have to make before you realize maybe he wants them here.

Why people choose the two or three (often mistranslated and rewritten) lines from the Bible that go after gays and ignore the parts they don't like have hatred and judgement in their hearts. Which, of course, Jesus seemingly said not to do.

Get over yourselves and stay out of my business.

First of all, no one is after no one. Why do you think that just because people don`t agree with another person`s action is just going after them? Why do you call people hypocrites when no one said that they are better than anyone else, actually some made it very clear that they are as anyone else and they point sins to themselves. Should we just stop talking and pointing what in our eyes are sins/flaws/mistakes/etc.? Then how could there even be law in this world or respect and tolerance?
Going that route doesn`t bring anything good, just separation.

Your eyes are seeing evil where there is none. Nobody is after you or her or them, for that matter. We just think differently than you, in this.

Those parts about the Bible, where is it said? Is it part of the new testament or the old?

Honestly, i don`t think that`s the correct way to put it. Everyone is born the way they are, but in their lifes they have to make choices, choices that will be easy to endure and the others that won`t. It`s up for every single person to choose.

DélioPT said:

Why do you call people hypocrites when no one said that they are better than anyone else, actually some made it very clear that they are as anyone else and they point sins to themselves. Should we just stop talking and pointing what in our eyes are sins/flaws/mistakes/etc.? Then how could there even be law in this world or respect and tolerance?

Your eyes are seeing evil where there is none. Nobody is after you or her or them, for that matter. We just think differently than you, in this.

The people passing laws to prevent marriage or adoption or civil unions or visitation rights or, like in tennessee, to prohibit schools from even acknowledging the existence of gay people until 9th grade, or serving in the military or job protections or housing rights etc. etc. etc. are not just pointing out disapproval.

To just sit and say "Oh we just disagree, let's all have some tea and cookies and smile at each other" is ignorant.

You can't just look the other way and ignore the injustices done in the name of religion by saying that there's no evil intent behind it.  A Christian may think it's all in the name of goodness and light, but to a gay person it's evil.  The lawmaker or the evangelist or the parent or whomever is going out of their way to try and make life difficult for one group of people while willfully ignoring literally thousands of others of groups who sin according to the Bible.

As for whether stoning is O.T. or N.T., I'm not sure I see how that matters. It's just an excuse some Christians make for better being able to pick ou the parts they like and ignoring the parts that are untenable.

fastyxx said:
DélioPT said:

Why do you call people hypocrites when no one said that they are better than anyone else, actually some made it very clear that they are as anyone else and they point sins to themselves. Should we just stop talking and pointing what in our eyes are sins/flaws/mistakes/etc.? Then how could there even be law in this world or respect and tolerance?

The people passing laws to prevent marriage or adoption or civil unions or visitation rights or, like in tennessee, to prohibit schools from even acknowledging the existence of gay people until 9th grade, or serving in the military or job protections or housing rights etc. etc. etc. are not just pointing out disapproval.

To just sit and say "Oh we just disagree, let's all have some tea and cookies and smile at each other" is ignorant.

You can't just look the other way and ignore the injustices done in the name of religion by saying that there's no evil intent behind it.  A Christian may think it's all in the name of goodness and light, but to a gay person it's evil.  The lawmaker or the evangelist or the parent or whomever is going out of their way to try and make life difficult for one group of people while willfully ignoring literally thousands of others of groups who sin according to the Bible.

As for whether stoning is O.T. or N.T., I'm not sure I see how that matters. It's just an excuse some Christians make for better being able to pick ou the parts they like and ignoring the parts that are untenable.

You got to understand that when people do those things you said, and i`m speaking of those who act according to their beliefs and not because of hate, they are acting in accordance to what they believe. Of course there are consequences and it`s impossible for them not to exist.
Everyone can understand that there are consequences of taking a stance, but please, don`t think that when a person doesn`t agree with you, specially on this issue, they are against you personally or against everyone who is gay.
Also, that doesn`t mean that we forget our own sins or even other group`s sins - as you put it. It`s just we are talking about just one issue.

I raised the question for a reason: even Jesus said one time that God`s ways weren`t shown completely to men because men`s hearts were hard, so they couldn`t understand it.

Thats true, and trust me, I live in minneapolis, (recently voted the "gayest" city in the us).

Mostly though, its the idea behind what I said. It is certainly not as accepted as Hetero relationships.