By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony patents 3D Virtual Reality Controller

BenKenobi88 said:
dallas said:

Sony is obviously taking some lessons from nintendo and trying to steal some of their market share. I don't think that they will be as successful with this venture as say, its other ideas, b/c gameplay has never been a big part of their strategy for Sony's games division.

Also, i'm not convinced that the wii remote will be relevant after a couple of years anyway, so this seems even more irrelevant.

It's hardly a "venture." It's just a patent. Patents can sit around and do nothing for decades...

That is exactly why I am not saying "HAHA Wiimote = suxxors." Because this does not exist. However if this was to hit the market in 6 months. How can you say it is bad, if it works right?

One of the big reasons I bought a DS over a PSP was the fact Nintendo bought the lisence to use the Palm OS, and trademarked something related to PDA type operation. I was thinking. HELL YES ON MY DS!

It's been over a year, and not a word on either of those fronts. Trademarks, and patents dont mean much. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
BenKenobi88 said:
dallas said:

Sony is obviously taking some lessons from nintendo and trying to steal some of their market share. I don't think that they will be as successful with this venture as say, its other ideas, b/c gameplay has never been a big part of their strategy for Sony's games division.

Also, i'm not convinced that the wii remote will be relevant after a couple of years anyway, so this seems even more irrelevant.

It's hardly a "venture." It's just a patent. Patents can sit around and do nothing for decades...

That is exactly why I am not saying "HAHA Wiimote = suxxors." Because this does not exist. However if this was to hit the market in 6 months. How can you say it is bad, if it works right?

One of the big reasons I bought a DS over a PSP was the fact Nintendo bought the lisence to use the Palm OS, and trademarked something related to PDA type operation. I was thinking. HELL YES ON MY DS!

It's been over a year, and not a word on either of those fronts. Trademarks, and patents dont mean much.

You should get into DS homebrewing (yes, the DS has homebrew, just not to the extent of the PSP). That does some of that stuff you wanted.

Yet Nintendo never promised to make the DS a PDA. That was just a baseless claim people made soley due to the touchscreen, and programs like Picochat. Nintendo made it clear that was just to enhance gaming and communication, not act like a Palm PC.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Waggle is cool now, hurray!

The glove looks cool, honestly and I can't wait to see what the other two comes up with.

The only complaint i have is that this is missing the point of the Wiimote. It looks complicated and intimidating, not exactly something fit for casuals.  But even so, if it does come out for the PS4(or a PS3 addon), Nintendo wins(well, they kind did with the sixaxis).

This is actually an OLD patent for a virtual keyboard you can type as if you had a keyboard in front of you which is stupid cause I like to SEE the buttons I'm pressing.

Also my VR controller > theirs.

friend code Wii: 1974 0901 4063 4699

360 Live SN: Myahon

PSN: Myahon

Funny, I just watched this movie today (I'd never seen it before):

Around the Network

It should now, right next to the emoticons.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
It should now, right next to the emoticons.

Thanks, above post edited.  Coolness.  :)

LordTheNightKnight said:
Kwaad said:
BenKenobi88 said:
dallas said:

You should get into DS homebrewing (yes, the DS has homebrew, just not to the extent of the PSP). That does some of that stuff you wanted.

Yet Nintendo never promised to make the DS a PDA. That was just a baseless claim people made soley due to the touchscreen, and programs like Picochat. Nintendo made it clear that was just to enhance gaming and communication, not act like a Palm PC.

Nah, they had patents, and a trademark, on palm OS type stuff. They never used it tho. I'm just saying how useless that stuff is.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Kwaad said:
BenKenobi88 said:
dallas said:

Nah, they had patents, and a trademark, on palm OS type stuff. They never used it tho. I'm just saying how useless that stuff is.

Well as you pointed out here, patents aren't the same as a promise of use. Although they may liscense out such a thing to actual PDA makers. Also Sony has been looking into remaking the Emotion Engine as a PDA processor. Could you imagine the two together?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Funny, that resembels a lot of the kind of "new Wiimote" I've been thinking of. I would have added buttons and an analog stick for the thumb though.

EDIT: here's how I would do it (1 minute in Paint):