By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony patents 3D Virtual Reality Controller

How would one account for hand sizes? If it could be made cheaply enough, custom made gloves might work...

Or some sort of adjustable thingy for fingers or whatnot. 

I still would like to see virtual reality type games like these. Perhaps with a Wiimote like device as well.

Around the Network
Littledgn said:

How would one account for hand sizes? If it could be made cheaply enough, custom made gloves might work...

Or some sort of adjustable thingy for fingers or whatnot. 

I still would like to see virtual reality type games like these. Perhaps with a Wiimote like device as well.

Yes, that would be a huge problem. This type of technology would have to fit your hand perfectly, so they would pretty much have to make every persons individually. Thats basically impossible to think about. The other alternative is use some cheap "one size fits all" material. So how are they going to put this kind of technology into that? There is no easy way to solve this problem.

Another problem would be thinking of what they are doing.  People say the Wii is taking gaming in a different direction and sometimes people call it the "wrong" direction. Well the Wii is still suporting the standard buttons and such, its not leaving the past. This type of technology would leave the past behind. With a hand thing it leaves behind buttons, and all forms of previous gaming which sonyboys charish. I dont want to go all sonyboy and say a device like that is taking gaming in the wrong direction, but honestly I dont see how it would work for real complex games. Think about it. Its the smallest step up from a Wiimote. It still just senses what your hands do... So what? So it can keep your pulse and sense movement, thats like the only "positive" difference. All other differences include completly leaving the past behind without any buttons. (or any way to put sinificant buttons on without making it pointless)

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Narfer said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Seems like every video game generation there's always some "virtual reality" buzz. I don't expect Sony to ever use this...maybe 10 years from now in some advanced form...patents are good for holding down ideas you think you might use far in the future apparently.

haha. Yea, I like some of the Sony Boys now. "O, Wii is ruining gaming!!! Its taking it in completly the WRONG DIRECTION!!!"

Now: " O that seems great. Its gonna REVOLUTIONIZE gaming!! It doesnt even have buttons but its still definitly taking the hardcore gaming in the right direction!!!"

I bet this is the last wii see of this.

Ugh. Stop being such a [insert gaming insult word here]. People (as in, not just "Sony Boys") criticize the Wii because it's not technologically much better than the previous generation consoles. That's the wrong direction some people fear. No one here just changed their minds in fact you are the one that is starting this fanboy (crap, I used one of the words anyway) debate. The controller for the Wii may lead consoles in a great new direction. The PS3 also has motion sensing and it's better than people think. However, I would have liked the Wii to be a little less powerful than the 360 and PS3 instead of where it is now because the motion controls don't exactly cost them a lot and the Wii would still be cheaper.

Anyway, this patent may never see the light of day but this has nothing to do with the wrong direction argument.

EDIT: To respond to your other comments, I'd like to say that I'm sure the design would work for different hand sizes. I'm curious what the material is. Also, each finger could easily be used for a "button" press, giving it at least 5 buttons right off the bat.  The picture has both hands holding one, as well, so that's 10 buttons. Geez, be creative.

windbane said:

EDIT: To respond to your other comments, I'd like to say that I'm sure the design would work for different hand sizes. I'm curious what the material is. Also, each finger could easily be used for a "button" press, giving it at least 5 buttons right off the bat.  The picture has both hands holding one, as well, so that's 10 buttons. Geez, be creative.

still, no analog stick at all, and if you must use each finger for a button, it could greatly hurt the actually motionsensitivity of it. Think about it, it could easily have much difficulty knowing the difference between pushing a button, or pretending to a batt for baseball.

Narfer said:

windbane said:

EDIT: To respond to your other comments, I'd like to say that I'm sure the design would work for different hand sizes. I'm curious what the material is. Also, each finger could easily be used for a "button" press, giving it at least 5 buttons right off the bat. The picture has both hands holding one, as well, so that's 10 buttons. Geez, be creative.

still, no analog stick at all, and if you must use each finger for a button, it could greatly hurt the actually motionsensitivity of it. Think about it, it could easily have much difficulty knowing the difference between pushing a button, or pretending to a batt for baseball.

You could add analog for the thumbs. I'm sure they'd program it to detect a "button" press. The fingers are there for button presses it looks like to me.

Around the Network

lets get real for a second. This isnt effing starwars.

If this works.. this will destory the WiiMote.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I was looking and thinking about the positilites about that 'glove' and in all honesty it would be awesome. If they would put some sort of pointer on it, the gloves could function as guns, the hands would be AMAZING for games like Oblivion, as if the controllers are intillegent, they could detect position, so you could actually sword fight with them. (As in not gimmicky like the Wii) Wouldnt it be cool in a boxing game to actually clench your fist, and punch forward lightly, and see that EXACTLY on the TV?

This is just a patent tho. They patent LOTS of things, Plenty of things they never use. But still, Boxing, Fighting, FPS, Oblivion style games... this would be amazing. Something like Black & White, where your a god in the sky, just reach with your hands, and manuplate the world... litterally with your hands. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Narfer said:
lets get real for a second. This isnt effing starwars.

My thoughts exactly, but I'm tring to be tactful to make it look tactful, so later today I can say. "I dont know how you can say this is a bad thing. This would be innovation for the market. If innovation is bad, the Wii is bad. STFU wiiboys.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

It sounds cool, the wiimote is cool as well but, here is the BUT, controller aside, does anyone remember george lucas at E3 a few years ago, hey apparently viewed a technology/projection type innovation?? apparently it would render 3d games, They apparently wanted to use in in movie theatres by 2009.

Question , what happened to it? I think for gamers sake control , would end up being on the back burner if a system had a hologram type projection.