By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony patents 3D Virtual Reality Controller

Ok it was either e3 in 04 or 05 James cameron and George lucas met behind closed doors w/nintendo, because nintendo was looking at the application (3d) with the gamecube.

I couldnt find anything on it til now this is the link to lucas/new theatre. Nintendo was toying with incorporating it into the game unit, then all of a sudden the wii hype began. anyway I hope this technology ends up on a home console, i remember reading it would sit in back of your room or even on top of the tv(like the wiimote sensor)

Could you imagine 3d digital games? with an interactive controller?

anyway here is the link to dlp in case you are wondering

http://www.dlp.com/cinema/default.aspx?ct=633121527260512838&strt=t&gd=e9f37d97-56db-4f8b-97f0-a9dcd0a0c131

and here is what the glasses look like

glasses http://www.dlp.com/cinema/new.aspx?revkey=0&sid=0&gd=7dd9b88f-7632-4268-a010-076d789ca319&ct=633121527260512838&frm=/cinema/default&lnkid=4

Around the Network
dpmnymkrprez said:

It sounds cool, the wiimote is cool as well but, here is the BUT, controller aside, does anyone remember george lucas at E3 a few years ago, hey apparently viewed a technology/projection type innovation?? apparently it would render 3d games, They apparently wanted to use in in movie theatres by 2009.

Question , what happened to it? I think for gamers sake control , would end up being on the back burner if a system had a hologram type projection.

It's still comming along. I see tid-bits on it from time to time.

What I'm just now thinking about is, there is a TV, I cant rember what brand it was, that can do true 3D image. I dont think it's out yet, but they have working prototypes. This would be AMAZING for that. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

imitation is the best form of flattery.  wii fans should be happy sony is going the direction of motion control.

the controller in itself is nothing innovative.  the devil's in the details--like the wii mote.  why did nobody make a pointing device?  why did nobody do motion control earlier?  it's nothing they can't do before, it's just that they all have various problems, both technically and on a design level, and putting all of them together and still have an appealing end consumer product is far from trivial.

if sony wants to bring it to the market, it's all about how the execution.  even the greatest idea will fail if it's not carried out properly.  for the wiimote, the sum is much, much greater than the parts.  

the Wii is an epidemic.

pfff

they already patented stuff that you controll with your brain waves, and some other thing that jacks into your brain ala matrix. 

Sony really is getting desperate. Those poor assholes there can't compete so they have to imitate like a bunch of amateurs. I say they drop out of the market and do something else instead of fucking around with the game market.

Around the Network
Cursayer said:
Sony really is getting desperate. Those poor assholes there can't compete so they have to imitate like a bunch of amateurs. I say they drop out of the market and do something else instead of fucking around with the game market.

stupidity at its best.

Sony is obviously taking some lessons from nintendo and trying to steal some of their market share.  I don't think that they will be as successful with this venture as say, its other ideas, b/c gameplay has never been a big part of their strategy for Sony's games division. 

Also, i'm not convinced that the wii remote will be relevant after a couple of years anyway, so this seems even more irrelevant.

Cursayer said:

Imitation isn't necessarily a bad thing, as all works of art, are in some way built upon the foundations set by other artwork.  not convinced?  what about microsoft's windows operating system?  that came from apple.  there are too many examples to list cursayer...

dallas said:

Sony is obviously taking some lessons from nintendo and trying to steal some of their market share. I don't think that they will be as successful with this venture as say, its other ideas, b/c gameplay has never been a big part of their strategy for Sony's games division.

Also, i'm not convinced that the wii remote will be relevant after a couple of years anyway, so this seems even more irrelevant.

It's hardly a "venture."  It's just a patent.  Patents can sit around and do nothing for decades...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I just wanna say imitation is good.

Because if it was. A game console, wouldnt exist. Because they are just simple computers... but their NOT! So their imitations of computers. Thus BAD! What'd you say? Nintendo was one of the first to imitate a computer? That's bad? Nintendo is bad? OK!

Imitation is good. Here is an example of why.

No imitation = monopoly

Monopoly = BAD

Atari had a joystick... That was use as a 'controller' for a game... nintendo 'imitated' that. Nintendo could have always... done something diffrent... that probibally wouldnt have worked.

Imitation is good. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!